Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hi thread, this was a long but interesting read. It's got me wanting to get back into painting after a very long absence. Some crazy good work in here.

I'm thinking of cobbling together the Peacemaker from Fury Road, the chassis of which is apparently a Howe Ripsaw. Anyone know where I could find this or a similar kit in any scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah I can't seem to find any scale kits. I'm not big on my track vehicles knowledge, is there anything else with a similar arrangement? Or close enough that I could modify?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

First off, I've seen sources say the car part is a Plymouth Valiant. It's not. It's a Chrysler Valiant Charger, which was based on the chassis of the Chrysler Valiant, which started out as a rebadged Plymouth Valiant, which I think Is where the confusion comes from. Compare the cars side by side and it's pretty obvious. Only one of them has a fastback.

As for the tank part, the ripsaw has a couple versions, so be careful with references not from the movie. Ignore anything that's not the one with six road wheels and three return rollers.

That's the same numbers as a panzer III. In fact you could probably use panzer wheels, possibly enlarging the holes with a file, and get something reasonable.

Honestly, if you get the wheel spacing, general proportions, and that brace on the outside of the wheels, you could probably just do whatever for the tube frame and have it look decent.

Awesome, thanks!

My next question is to do with scale. The Panzer III is only slightly too long and quite a bit wider (but that's not an issue if I'm kit bashing it), but I was thinking about getting the car in 1/32 and the tank in 1/35 for better wheel dimensions. Does that make sense?

Also finding a non die-cast Valiant Charger may be a bit of a challenge, but I think at the very least, any Australian slotcar store worth its salt would have to have one. That might end up dictating the scale I go with.

e: Ugh! All I can find is someone who does a resin Valiant Charger in 1/25. Why?!

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 7, 2017

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Man, I wish I saw this post before I started drinking.

As you observed, the proportions on the pzkfw III are significantly different. I'm pretty sure it could be chopped into something that looks reasonable, but you might well end up basically scratch building everything but the wheels. There are people selling just wheels, though I have no idea if that would end up saving you money versus a cheapo tank kit and a couple styrene sheets, then just discarding/chopping the hull.

There are plastic kits of the American charger, but even that I haven't been able to find in a plastic kit in a close-enough scale (I'm pretty confident 1/32 would be fine). Plastic would be much easier to deform to get the pounded to poo poo look of the one in the movie. gently caress these weirdo scales. 1:25 just isn't natural. :colbert:

I think the car model will definitely dictate the scale.

Looking at the 71 Dodge, the top half is pretty drat similar, especially once it's been modified. I honestly think the longer hood on the Dodge will make it easier to make the extention for the Peacemaker. Accuracy be dammed.

Anyone recommend a cheap Panzer III? The wheels and track are the only parts I care about, but I think it'll be easier to get a full kit.

e: Alternatively, I could just chuck a Falcon XB GT shell on top and make an Interpanzer of Interpeace-maker

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 7, 2017

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So I picked up a Dragon Panzer III and a Monogram '70 Dodge Challenger. For the body parts I'll actually need, the Challenger is much closer.

Both were dirt cheap, but the car is 1/24. Still, since I'm cutting both kits to pieces, I'll make it work (might need few more track links or I'll just hide any gap under the front of the car body.

The goal:

This is going to be an absolute nightmare...

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 8, 2017

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Definitely a Valiant Charger. George's gotta represent.

The front has been stretched by about a mile, but it looks stock from the A pillars back.

Correct, definitely a Valiant Charger.
I picked up the Dodge because it was very cheap and I can experiment with it, almost no one makes Australian cars and the best I've been able to find is a custom resin Valiant, not cheap and not the right scale. I think I can mould the one I've got to resemble it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gewehr 43 posted:

I've managed to knock the pile of work-in-progress kits from 4 to 1. Within the last week I've been able to crank out three long projects.

First, the 1/32 Tamiya Corsair has been wrapped up. (Album) It ended up as a conglomerate of a couple different decal schemes due to all the problems I had with the decals and so doesn't represent any particular aircraft or unit. In the end I'm fairly happy with it. It could've been better, but after my decal fuckwittery, I feel like it recovered fairly well. The kit is pretty great, of course, but not quite as fall-together as some make it sound. The engine looks nice. Too bad it - along with all the scratch ignition wiring - are impossible to photograph.

Just a lurker on this thread, but drat this is a nice job!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Pierzak posted:

I once sneezed into an open tub of static grass.

Phew that was lucky, imagine if it'd been a tub of the movable stuff.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Thread question, is there a cheaper or better option for textured paints other than games workshop? Specifically for that cracked desert look.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Thanks guys!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Howdy thread. I've been stripping paint off a bunch of styrene figures with Dettol and a resin figure got into the mix. Paint came off just fine and all the detail is there but the thinner parts are quite soft and flexible now. I imagine it'll probably firm up a little with a base coat, but it's there anything else I could do?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Arquinsiel posted:

Wait and see what happens, or give it a coat of varnish or maybe thinned PVA to add a bit of surface-tension to the model. Also next time consider Cilit Bang degreaser, that seems kinder to resin.

Cool, thanks. Wait and see is definitely step 1.
Would the varnish be after a base coat or before?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd guess before to give the base coat a hard surface to bond to, but it might be better to use a spray primer that might harden the mini in the bonding process. TBH you're in bat country here doing damage control, it might be that the mini is just a lost cause.

Yeah sorry a primer is what I meant. It's not too bad, nothing is bending under its own weight at least. I'll see how it goes, thanks.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please don't huff paint, it's not worth whatever high it's giving you. :ohdear:

<taps thread title>

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Could any of you learned goons explain what the Tamiya AS sprays are? There was a can of insignia grey (AS-20) mixed in with the usual TS paints I bought and I was wondering what effect you get with it, the site says it's for model aircraft but that's all I got. Can I apply regular acrylics over the top no problem? Sorry if that's a dumb question, total paint dingus here.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There's no difference between the two. TS were their original sprays, TS standing for Tamiya Spray. A broader range to cover all areas of modelling. The AS range came later, and was simply more focused on typical aircraft colors.

And no issues with putting any paint types over them. Most sprays from any manufacturer are tough, durable finishes that will accept any paint type over them.

Perfect, thank you. Was worried it would be a thinner or slightly translucent finish.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hi thread, can anyone recommend a a site for custom printed decals that they've used?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hmm this gives me an idea though. anyone know of any cyrillic letter decal sets

I would also like to know this. Been considering the custom decal route too but I could probably make do with cyrillic sets in a few sizes.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hi thread, someone else asked before about cyrillic alphabet decals and I would also like to know if anyone knows where to get them. EBay is no help and I've only been able to find sets of tank slogans.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Darth Brooks posted:

Can you print out your own? I know Hobby Lobby has the kit for doing at home decals, I don't know how good it is or if you have access to one.

Unfortunately not, I'm after white ink on transparent.
It was a last ditch search before heading the custom order route.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Fearless posted:

This man speaks wisdom. When I had a setup for doing wargaming minis, I had more tools, paint and assorted crap than I really needed. Since getting into building wooden boats, I have about a dozen paints, a half dozen brushes and a handful of tools: good nippers are absolutely vital (I use Xurons, but that is a matter of taste and inexpensive ones can be had for soldering/electronics that work perfectly), an exacto, some tweezers for parts too dainty for my ogrish hands and some clips to hold parts together. One of my favourite parts of this hobby is finding ways to repurpose common and inexpensive items to save money and make life a little easier. I've turned binder clips into decent planking clamps and a pair of socks and some rice into an adjustable cradle for ships.

My low tech minis painting method is thin sewing needles stuck in a cork (the cork is superglued to a coin for weight) which I heat and push into the non visible part of the mini like an arm socket. That way I can base all my subassemblies at once. Cheap and reusable. Plus you get some sweet inhalents when you light those paint covered pins up, oh yeah.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Is there a minis thread? I don't want to bore you lot with my non hand cut wooden tank kits. (the precision and detail in this thread is insane)

e: found it

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 20, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Jonny Nox posted:

Could you bore us with one?

Please?

I'm being serious.

I... Don't have any tank kits sorry. Just robots from Mars.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Go on...

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Molentik posted:

Is cutting your hair to use it on a figure taking things too far?

If the scale is 1:1? Yes

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

NTRabbit posted:

There's also Frontline Hobbies, and now that I'll be working again I plan to visit Hobby Habit in person this winter to see what it's like, since it's more or less around the corner from a mate's place.

Hobby Habit is the best place for Tamiya paints. The daws road store has the bigger range.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
This is a long shot, but was there someone in this thread or another (maybe SA mart) that was CNC milling aluminium pieces for folks? I may be misremembering where I saw it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Yooper posted:

Try the metalworking thread? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844&pagenumber=321#lastpost

I don't work in aluminum, but I know some of the guys there do. Not sure if they do jobshop stuff.

Thanks!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Does anyone have any experience having something printed from shapeway? Specifically any of the metal materials?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Van Dis posted:

I bought one of these from them and it's been great, fwiw.

Cool, good to hear. I want to get a piece printed, mostly flat surfaces with a recessed design in a polished metal.

How's the surface texture?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Van Dis posted:

The piece I bought isn't a polished texture, but it's not supposed to be since it's for gripping. I'd bet for something custom they could make you a polished piece. It's worth asking them, anyway.

Ah, fair enough. I noticed polished is an option. I'll just bite the bullet, it's pretty cheap. Thanks

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Fearless posted:

For once, Youtube recommended something to me that wasn't horribly irrelevant or deeply offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwSIgDKvMHk

Marvel at a man modelling a 1960s Dodge pickup, down to creating forms to recreate scale metal body panels. Just so he can dent them and have them look just right.

What the actual gently caress.

Watch it at 2x speed for extra mindbending

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Has anyone told you that you're an absolute madman?

This is still my favourite thread to read.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
There's a lot of planes with the same style packaging, but it looks like only the ones that say flight crew (zero / hellcat) include the wee cats, correct?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Slugworth posted:

By gluing the pre-chromed hubcap to the wheel :) Can't take any credit for it, I'm afraid. But yeah, that's part of why I'm so impressed by something as simple as a wheel.

I'm really tempted to screw it up by trying to paint a whitewall on the tire.

Could you attach it to a dremmel or something low speed and do the white walls that way?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'm just a lurker who enjoys looking at all your models, but "baggywrinkle grooming" or some variation seems like a good thread title.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Just put a stocking over the vacuum cleaner. Find every lost part you've ever... lost.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Pierzak posted:

The number of times I've heard people recommending Chinese recasts because they have better casts and QC than the actual branded FW is very telling.

Eh, I've bought two Chinese recasts of the same FW model (cheap parts for a kitbash) and they were both pretty garbage.

e: to clarify, both recasts were garbage.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 8, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
You never know, the digital Lego builder has the option to turn on scratches and UV fading in the render settings. Maybe this game will have tool deterioration and horrific scalpel impalings too.

I'd say "who is this for?", but it'll probably find its audience. Might even be fun for testing out paint schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hello thread, newbie question but do Hobbyboss make good kits? I'm looking at some Soviet armoured train, but it's a little pricey so I thought I better check in with the experts first.