Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Are old kit cars worth anything? We have a bunch of on a knick-knack shelf that have sat there for nearly 60 years or so. Some are kinda rough but most aren't too bad. I cleaned off a couple decades of dust with a compressed air thingy. I plan on doing some detailing (somehow, they're kinda fragile) so I can see how good they look overall. I know they're worth more if they're in the box (according to google) but when I asked if her dad was the one who put them together, she said they were never apart. He used to give them away (and also kittens) with a purchase of the same model car at his garage. I guess they did come in a box then but that's not in the picture anymore.

e: if this isn't the right thread for it, could someone point me in the right direction tia

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Could I detail those aforementioned model cars with warm water and a soft rag/Q-tip? I feel like alcohol would be a little harsh for how old they are in particular

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

nitsuga posted:

Buff off any residual water with a lens cloth and you should be good to go.

So this dirt/dust is really on there. Is there anything with a little more umph I could use. I did try a little alcohol on a qtip which definitely got off some of it but I'm still worried about it being a little harsh.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

nitsuga posted:

I’d lean toward soap and water. That and a microfiber cloth should make some headway. If they’re hardy (and easy to dry) you could maybe use a sink, but I’m not quite sure what you’re dealing with.

Mine haven’t gotten too dusty yet, but spray eyeglass cleaner has worked decently for something ready-made. Alcohol might not be so bad either, but I’d be cautious for sure.

Reading your first post makes it sound like you might be dealing with some grease as well. If that’s the case I’d give something like Simple Green a try. You can dilute it, but it’s generally pretty safe to apply full strength.

I got a waterpik... and some dr bronners almond soap. Seems like the soap would be pretty gentle but idk about the pick although I definitely think it'd clean it. Are those magic erasers (melamine sponges) a little much for this sort of thing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

nitsuga posted:

It’s a creative use for a Waterpik, but I don’t see too much harm in it. Kind of a scaled down pressure washer

lol yeah I figured it out in my reprobate years for cleaning pipes. Unfortunately it'd been in storage for a decade and I ran it yesterday with diluted vinegar, then water. Then today I did diluted hydron perioxide and 2 water rinses before I saw on the very bottom of the unit "do not run for more than 5 minutes in a 2 hour period". I thought I heard it laboring hard to run.