Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Can I use Tamiya X-21 (flat base) and Tamiya X-1 (gloss black) to create a semi-gloss black? If so what ratio would you recommend?

I'm a new to modeling and I bought the X-21 thinking it was a matt clear coat, but it's an additive for turning gloss paints into flat paints. The model I'm working on calls for X-18 which is a semi-glass black and my local hobby shop doesn't have it. I figured I might as well use this X-21 if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

uwaeve posted:

Never used it but the Tamiya page for it says mix at 1:1 (NEVER MORE) to turn gloss into flat sheen. My guess is you can mix any ratio up that for a continuous spectrum from gloss to flat. I’m not sure where their bottled semi-gloss lies on that spectrum. Do you happen to have any other semi gloss you can match the sheen to? Sorry I know I’m not answering the question but I own it and now I want to know so I looked it up.

Most discussions seem to be people mistakenly buying it as a clear coat then looking for ratios to make it work with gloss clear. I did find a source that said in its proper application as a flattening agent:
4:1 ratio (gloss paint:x-21) for flat
10:1 ratio for semi-gloss

Hopefully someone that has actually used it can weigh in, otherwise I’d just wing it, testing a couple ratios on spoons or scrap until you are happy.

Unfortunately I don't have any other semi-gloss paints to compare. That's a good idea about testing it on a spoon, I think I have a package of plastic spoons around here somewhere. I'll give that a try and see how it turns out. Thanks.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

X-18 which is semi gloss black tends towards the glossier end of the spectrum. I've taken to living with it these days although it annoys me a little but I did at one point mix my own semi gloss black which was a 70:30 mix of semi gloss black and flat black. I'm sure the semi gloss used to be a different level of sheen but has changed along the way.

If you can get some a can of TS29 might give you a good indication of what the semi gloss used to look like.

I'll probably just mix something up that looks acceptable and use that. It's just for the instrument panel on a F4U Corsair so I don't even know how visible it's going to be. This is only my second model and my first airplane.

I was mainly just curious if I could use the X-21 to make a semi-gloss. I figured I have it so I might as well use it...

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I don't see why you couldn't. Try 2:1 color:flat and see what happens. If it's too flat just hit it with some nose grease :v:.

I wonder if this X-21 stuff might be kind of useful if it works well. I can just purchase gloss paints and convert them to different sheens instead of having to buy gloss, semi-gloss, flat variants of the same color.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Charliegrs posted:

I am also working on a F4U Corsair. I have been building car and tank kits for a while but this is my first plane. After painting it I hit with a gloss coat so I can do the decaling, but my question is what kind of clear should I put over it after that? Right now it kind of looks "correct" with the gloss coat so maybe I should use gloss? Or would semi gloss look more realistic? I have matte too but I feel like that might not look right. The real planes seem to have a little bit of shine.

Which kit are you building? I'm building Tamiya Vought F4U-1D Corsair 1:48

The painting instructions say:

quote:

Fighters of US Navy and Marine Corps were painted in glossy sea blue from Mar. 1944 ... recommended to use AS-8

I was planning on going with Tamiya sea blue (XF-17) and finish with a glossy clear coat. I know nothing about planes though, so that might not be accurate. Some of the finished models I've seen on reddit have a matt or satin finish which don't seem quite right based on pics I've seen. So Idk...

Did you model yours with the wings folded? I can't quite make up my mind if I want the wings folded or not. Seems like it could be a pain in the rear end and my modeling skills are basically zilch at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Charliegrs posted:

Apparently that lime green color in the cockpit is a primer and the whole plane is painted with it so I did some chipping effects with that color as well as some exposed metal.

Oh that's interesting about the green primer, I bet that looks pretty cool. Post some pics if you ever get imgur working, I'd love to see it. I'll probably go with the factory fresh look as I don't know much about weathering yet. I'll share some pics if I ever get it finished and don't screw it up.