Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Missing Lynx (http://www.missing-lynx.com/index.htm) is probably the best scale modelling site on the net. They specialize in AFVs, but occasionally someone will post other vehicles. The upside is that they have a really knowledgeable community. The bad side is that pretty much every link you click on in the "Constructive Comments" (http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/} section will make your your jaw drop in the detail, then get depressed when you realize you will probably never approach their skill.

Examples:

Late War Panzer IV:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1317060462/DML+Pz.+IV+Ausf.+J+.Finished.

Swedish Tank. . . holy poo poo that's so detailed for its size!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316977410/Swedish+Strv.+104+-+Now+with+figures...

Cattle car: Who's going to look under the chassis?
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316977221/Burden+of+Sorrow+(WIP)

Uboat Captain Bust:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316922457/U-Boat+Captain+Bust...

WWII Spare Parts Mech:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316844488/Spare+parts+alternative+use+2+.+.+.+%26quot%3BWagner%26quot%3B+finished.

Original, and those waves!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316787044/Yamato+-+the+Golden+Surfer

Flak-Track with amazing Paint:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316771227/Flak+43+auf+SWS+-Great+Wall+1-35

That's one well stocked Half-Track:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316693734/SdKfz+7+with+sFH+18+-+the+sweet+couple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
These guys use single hair brushes and high magnification lenses to do that. I can't find it, but this one guy a few years ago scratchbuilt a Ferdinand tank destroyer in such detail that he even made the individual springs BY HAND for under the driver and radio operator's seats and even painted every gauge as well. I don't think he made individual pistons for the engine, but every visible nut and bolt on the interior compartments was there. What I find mindblowing is that once the model is made it is literally impossible to see 99% of the work he did without taking it apart or using some manner of medical fibre optic device used for exploratory surgery.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Uh. A diorama of a railway car being unloaded at a concentration camp? Seriously? That's rather disturbing.

A lot of the guys there do commission work for different museums.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Morgenthau posted:

I dunno, the boxart looks more greyish in there.

I tried to make a balance between the grey and green splotches in there but it turned out in one giant mess. :ohdear:
Mine's a horrible greenish.

Box it up, mail it to me and I'll give you $20 for your troubles. I don't want an "ugly" 109 such as that making you depressed and affecting your work.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Oh this makes me wish I could paint. I can build, and detail, but for the life of me I can't paint anything more intricate than my living room. If I could, I'd have an Elefant, a Tiger I, and a BF-109F on my desk.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I think I'm going to make a 109 then bronze it, mount it on a walnut base, and call it a day. Classy, and doesn't scream, "this guy can't paint!"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ensign Expendable posted:

Cool Maus! They do actually have one in the Kubinka tank museum, so you could have based the camo scheme off that one. Did it come with all the little tank decals or did you buy those separately?

I think that all the German tanks (or at least most of them) have been repainted with somewhat inaccurate and some downright imaginative paint-schemes. I heard somewhere that some volunteers were trying to give the tanks authentic paintjobs, but I'm not sure if the Museum ok it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Irish Legend posted:

Haha, I've got plenty of table space, but this was literally 30 seconds after opening the last item. It is all on my desk now, with a lamp setup and everything half removed from their box.

No, he means your posted image is huge and breaking the forum tables. Keep it under 1024 wide. If you haven't already, change your [IMG] tags into [TIMG] to turn it into a thumbnail.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
You want to see some impressive scratch-built dioramas, check this out!
http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/pictures/incredibly-realistic-miniature-models-by-chinese-art-students.html

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wow. I wonder if they used CNC mills or prototyping machines...

Clay and shaping tools. These being art students, I'd guess they were all hand carved.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I find it sort of comforting to see that the "old world" techniques are still alive and well. 5-10 years I bet everyone will be doing their art and dioramas with their 3D printers and CNC mills in their basement. Make me wonder what will happen to the plastic model industry, especially when you see the progress cheap/homemade printers have made in just the last few years.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
You're ready for the big leagues now!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbbkbWuBHnQ&feature=related

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Seems like the most likely place the find an answer. . .

Does anyone know where one could find detailed wing and fuselage profiles of a BF-109? (preferably an F-G model) I'm thinking of making a large scale balsa model from scratch and for the love of me I can't seem to find any decent blueprints that would be appropriate to use as a template.

Example of what I'm looking for.

Something like this could work, but it's pretty low-rez and reference points would be nice to know the spacing.

p.s. Free ones, I am equal parts cheap and poor.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
How do you get weathering in space? Dust particle collisions?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

who cares posted:

From being shot at by the Cylons. Duh!

That would be battle damage. :spergin:

In all seriousness, it just struck me that I've seen lots of Sci-Fi where the ship is rusted, and shows wear around panels and access hatches, while never being in a planet's atmosphere or doing any of those things that causes wear.

Just a curiosity of mine.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

big_g posted:

Here's some latest shots of how the viper is coming along.

I can see a bright future of you and ebay separating wealthy manchildren from their money.

Excellent work.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FiendishThingy posted:

- AMT USS Reliant
- AMT USS Enterprise (refit)

Do these two first, then recreate the climatic battle from Wrath of Khan for our amusement.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Paint on battle damage during the re-enactment.

1/2 way through the re-enactment he has to inexplicably bring a severely injured crewman to the bridge instead of sick bay. Then at the end of the battle he has to light an M-80 and stuff it into the Reliant. Right before the firecracker goes off he should run away with the enterprise model while going, "Woooooooooooosh!"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I think all three of those tanks are made by "Missing-Lynx" posters. They're really nice, and these examples are excluded, but a lot of those AFV modelers get too into the "weathered" look and end up making examples that are more weathered than actual abandoned WWII tanks one occasionally sees in Russian scrapyards and forests these days.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

But in reality, I bet his wheel fell off the desk and into a crack or something, so he had to improvise.

I'm thinking you're right. There are two little white spots on the track where the wheel used to be. I'd bet they're where the road-wheel made full contact with the track and the spray-paint couldn't get in there.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Time to give this thread another shot of, "HOLY poo poo!".

Guy scratch building a Tiger I with a twist! By the time you get to Page 14 you will never look at your scale models the same again.

Click Here!.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Arquinsiel posted:

Wait until you start learning about Airfix tank kits and why they are all totally wrong.

Wait until you see people posting model parts overlaid over the actual aircraft blueprints. This isn't a very spergy example (believe me there are some amazingly anal people out there) but just over 1/2 way down the page he starts comparing the kit parts to line drawings of the actual aircraft.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=748

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Looking pretty good! Always loved the Ferdinand/Elefant

Most people see them as huge failures, but their kill ratios were pretty spectacular (10:1) considering they were thrown directly at Soviet AT guns and minefields.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

And also pretty fictional. Tank kill ratios are a terrible way to judge the performance of an armoured vehicle, even if claims were equivalent to reality, considering that tanks do lots of other things except hunt enemy tanks on the battlefield.

Looks good on a shelf, though.

Never said it was a good tank or a good use of resources, just that it had a pretty high kill ratio. Also that incident in dispute =/= their entire career in the war and even the poster's dispute is in dispute.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Looking nice! Can't wait to see what you do for weathering.

One thing that I really noticed about armour modeling is that people tend to go waaaaay overboard on the weathering and rusting. It seems that most models that have included weathering are rustier than photos of tanks found in the backwoods of Romania and the Ukraine in the 1980's.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nebakenezzer posted:

One observation I've read about hobbies that has always stuck with me is that the logical end-game of any hobby is one-upmanship. So people go absolutely nuts with weathering.

My favourite "one-upmanship" is the guy who scratchbuilt an entire 1:32 Tiger 1, including the springs in the seats and the details that were sealed in locations you could never see.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Commissar Canuck posted:

Crusader III (basically) complete! :britain:

I just need to figure out a good way to paint the headlights, anyone have any recommendations?

Hollow them out with a dremel, paint the inside silver, and fill with clear epoxy?

Also I don't think I have ever seen someone model a Crusader before. Might seem daunting with all the rivets.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Looking amazing!

Also, if you want to see a crazy Elefant, read this entire thread, or at least just scan the pics. . . it goes from, "that's pretty cool" to "holy poo poo!"

Dude makes wire mesh for the driver and radio operator's seats.

Then covers them up!

Maybe my favourite part is when he creates weld seams with putty on the inside of the model, in places where it is impossible to ever see.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I kind of want to scratch-build an exploded tank, just so I can do things like that and actually have them be seen.

Some of them are pretty impressive.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
That T-35 is pretty cool. Awesome find!

I would love to know the thought process behind that tank besides, "bigger is better comrade". Also shows you how thick the armour was in that thing since it's only 0.2 tons more than a Panther. (yes I know there was about a 10 year difference in production dates)

Apparently the tanks were prone to transmission failures and almost all of them were abandoned without seeing any combat.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I guess the Soviets assumed they would be fighting an enemy without the superior weapons required to defeat 30mm armour.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The top down view really illustrates how bad an idea this tank was.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Ugh, all these tank models! I had to install T-34 vs Tiger again to get this out of my system.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Commissar Canuck posted:

Well it's not a Tiger, but it's done :toot:

That is honestly one of the nicest Panzer IV's I've ever seen. Paint looks like the right amount of wear in all the right places. If anyone asks why it's not covered in 2 feet of dust like every other model tell them that it occasionally rained during WWII.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Some of the Airfix kits are still using the same molds from the 50's and some of the Italeri models are really looked down upon. Another thing you've got to remember that the typical scale modeller is an elitist who usually buys a kit, only to use 3 parts out of the box (naturally covered in putty and carved to hell to make them acceptable) and the remaining 98% of the model is aftermarket photo etched and solid brass parts, each costing more than the original kit.

If there is a kit you like, look for a review, then scroll down to see the comments. If over half are saying it's garbage, then it likely is. If most are saying it's ok, then go for it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, that elitism is what makes me so sure I don't need the best manufacturer. The attention to detail some guys have is cool to see, but not something I currently aspire to.

Some of the "rubbish kits" are referred to as such because someone held them up to factory blueprints and the rudder was .01% off or the rear armour deck didn't have the characteristic pitting of the castings from the ford factory.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Trumpeter is one of those companies that hardcore nerds complain about. Apparently Trumpeter brags about using original factory blueprints, but only overall view, so the result is slightly different.

Problem is that most people who do these comparisons don't understand the differences between a line drawing and a photograph, and how one is a true depiction of the actual dimensions and how the other is a distorted representation. One guy did an effort post in (missing lynx I think) and showed how a camera takes a photo from one point and give a trueish representation straight ahead, but the further you move from the centre of the photo, the more the distortion increase. He basically drew a diagram of how you would need to take something like 15 photos of the side of a typical tank and overlay them in photoshop to approach the correct proportions shown in a line drawing. This not only works side to side, but vertically when dealing with tanks since they are quite tall.

In a lot of these cases if you do the maths and compare the model lengths, and the real-world lengths (while calculating scale) they come out to be pretty much exact. But try explaining that to a sperglord who only looks at a photo overlaid on a line drawing and cries "look how off it is" while the camera is 2' behind centre, looking at the model 3' ahead of center and offset by 15 degrees of more(also adding the possibility of the ground being uneven, one wing being higher than the other because of this, the turret being turned slightly to one side, or the photographer kneeling down while taking it).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I really like all the junk scattered on the rear deck. I think some good junk scattering really puts life into the model.

my favourite are dioramas where the tank is rolling through mud, and you can see all the crew's muddy footprints on the deck going to their respective hatches.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

That sounds really cool, I've never seen one of those.

Like every cool model I've ever seen, it was either posted or linked at the Missing Lynx board. My single favourite modelling trick is having a diorama where there is water that is depicted in 3D with the tank/plane partially submerged. there was one where it was either a 109 or a PZII that was half in the water and the epoxy and colouring they used was just perfectly murky and coloured. The coolest part was the one corner of the diorama that was just water, like it was frozen and sliced.

Example, but obviously not the one I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wow! Is this a trick box, or is it actually set in something? (Lucite would be cool, but I know lucite gets really hot while setting.)

All I could find is "set in resin with pain to add colour".