Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

HaHA! New toys! Now that the Jim Byrnes table-saw is temporarily unavailable after his passing late last year, I got the next best thing. Can't wait to mess around with this thing in the next few days. First order of business is to build a cross-cut sled.

Been messing around with the new saw for a week, and drat this is a nice little unit. Seems to be very accurate, it's surprisingly quiet despite chomping through some dense hardwoods, and it's about the perfect size for hobby benchtop use. Recommended to any hobbyist who needs to cut wood regularly.

Got the crosscut sled built, with a rail and flip-stop, so I can knock out lengths of wood easily.

The unit also has a thumbwheel for raising and lowering the blade height, but that's nowhere near as fast, or fun, as a little hand crank, so I fabbed up one of those a press-on for the thumb wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was really hoping to get a ship kit from DeAgostini, since they had the best instructions by far. After their restructuring though, they seemed to have completely dropped all model ships, and are just focusing on pop-culture stuff. I'm very much a hands-on visual learner, so good pictorial instructions are a must for me. I faltered on my first ship kit, the HMS Snake from Caldercraft, because they instructions were basically 5 pages long with instructions like "Now make the hull. When you're done, make the deck."

I have been eyeing the HMS Sphinx from Vanguard Models now though. All off Chris Watton's kits are extremely well reviewed, and now that DeAgostini is out of the game, he seems to have the best pictorial instructions out there by a country mile.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Locator posted:

You know that you can download the instructions for all the Vanguard kits so you can decide whether they are good enough for you, or at least give you a decent idea instead of just rolling dice like with most other companies. Chris seems to really have his stuff together and is producing some great quality kits.

Yep, that's how I found out how good Vanguards instructions were. No one else really comes close, from what I've seen.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FrozenVent posted:

Once society collapses and I can no longer buy models, I’ll start making advance on the backlog.

*sitting in my workshop, in the decayed ruins of society*

Finally, there's time. No distractions, no people. Finally time to do the things I love!

*spills pot of Tamiya Extra-Thin*

No, it's not fair! IT'S NOT FAIR! Finally there was time! Why!?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am building a couple of Andy's and Das Werks 1/16 models and all the tracks are individual parts, with 3 pieces. So like 450 pieces to cut and sand and glue.

Not sure what exact models these are, but you may want to see if there are some 3D printed tracks out there for them. Printed tracks are basically ready to go. Just need to snap them together, or push a pin into place. They can get pretty pricey though, depending on the model, and in 1/16 scale.

https://panzerwerkdesign.com.pl/pl/c/Ogniwa-gasienicy/16/1/default/3
https://www.t-rex-studio.com/ProductInfoCategory?categoryId=133074&PageInfoId=0

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

neurotech posted:

Cutting foam with a box cutter is an extremely frustrating experience for me, so I'm going to invest in a hot wire cutter.

I'm currently considering this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/223201614660 - has anyone bought something similar to this kind? It seems fine... :shrug:

I have that exact unit, and it works great. The only downside I could think of is the apparatus for tensioning and aligning the wire is a bit finicky, but that's it really. Cuts foam so nicely, I'd never go back to doing it with a blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nice! I use a cheapo Paasche as well for priming, or running weird paints through that I don't want in my Iwata. They're cheap enough, especially when they're on sale, that you can get a few for different tasks. One for primer, one for metallics, one for sealers, etc etc. Real workhorse of an airbrush.

And it can still do detail work, if needed. All the old school movie effects guys used Paasche-H's back in the day. You can use and abuse it, and it'll keep going. It painted the Terminator, the Predator, and the Alien.