Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Can someone point me in the direction of a good primer on the basics of painting (preferably using Tamiya acrylic paints as they’re the ones I have the best access to) scale models? I recently got into the hobby and purchased a Tamiya M4A3 Sherman kit and am getting a bit overwhelmed with how to go about learning to paint it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Thank you for all of this! I have a few followup questions:

Ensign Expendable posted:

2) Base coat. You can also apply this with a spray can, especially since your Sherman is going to be olive drab, but you can always do it with a brush too. The key is to apply several thin coats to hide the brush strokes. Get Tamiya thinner for Tamiya paints, you can thin them with alcohol but not very well.
What kind of ratio of paint to thinner should I be using for this?

1) Primer. This is an important layer to give the paint something to adhere to, but also this is a pretty opaque paint that will cover up any difference in colour on the kit body. It's best to buy it in a spray can. Apply in small bursts, sweeping across the model to avoid pooling up paint anywhere.
I assume the lighter the primer, the brighter the final result after painting? For something like the Sherman, could I get away with a gray primer?

3) Details. This is stuff like the pioneer tools, the machine guns, etc. If you put on the tracks already, also paint them now, although with Tamiya rubber tracks I prefer to leave the drive sprocket unglued and slip them on at the last step.
Should I be painting these separately before cementing them to the tank? (The tools, guns etc, not the tracks)

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Following on from stealie72's "first tank" post, I too just finished my first scale model, the M4A3 Sherman:

I learned a lot, and I'm pretty excited to move on to a new kit. Not entirely sure what the tiny white particles are in some of those photos. I'll need to go over it with a soft brush, I think.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Maybe wave a giger counter near the model if they're not visible in-person.

Ahaha they're visible. I think it's just some dander.

Jonny Nox posted:

There's probably too much rust on that turret, but I don't care, that patina is divine.

Thank you! I think I got a bit carried away. I still like it a lot though.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

That looks really nice. Where did you get the kit from?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Does anyone have any tips for cutting XPS foam (without a hot wire), specifically shapes like squares/rectangles?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Cutting foam with a box cutter is an extremely frustrating experience for me, so I'm going to invest in a hot wire cutter.

I'm currently considering this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/223201614660 - has anyone bought something similar to this kind? It seems fine... :shrug:

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I have that exact unit, and it works great. The only downside I could think of is the apparatus for tensioning and aligning the wire is a bit finicky, but that's it really. Cuts foam so nicely, I'd never go back to doing it with a blade.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm gonna pull the trigger on it. $100 AUD is a pretty good deal from what I can tell.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

I'm planning out a new project, which is basically building a small fantasy/medieval "Witch Hut". I'm looking for recommendations for what to use for the walls - I've got some spare chipboard, but it's really annoying to cut. I want something that's easy to cut, is relatively strong, and won't warp once it takes on glue or paint. Is balsa wood the best option here?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Darth Brooks posted:

How big are the walls? A thicker plastic "For Sale" sign glued to some coraplast would hold up. If you know of a local sign shop they might have some coroplast scrap.

Nothing too big, nothing bigger than 6 inches.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

The thing I’m struggling with is how do cut clean holes for windows.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

How would you do windows in an actual hut?

That’s a great question… uhh I guess it depends on how the wall is made. I need to do some more research I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

I went to Officeworks today (I'm in Australia) and picked up a couple of A4 foamboard and a hobby knife with a "chisel" blade, so I'll see how that goes when I get home tonight.