Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
It's much easier to soften styrene with a heat source then dimple it than fab in a section of brass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Unless you have a pressing need or lots of free time the photolithography part of etching is a total pain.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I was always afraid of ruining my pen by leaving it out with glue or ink on it, is it easy to clean up if you let it gum up?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
If you don't find green stuff agreeable (I've always had trouble mixing it sufficiently, it's really stiff), I recommend using apoxie, it's much softer in the mixing phase, and I find it easier to work in the modelling phase. If you're a masochist and green stuff isn't stiff enough, use actual plumbers putty.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

plumbers putty won't dry for 15 years

Haha, oh yeah. Buy the 30 minute quick set epoxy putty stuff.

Archer2338 posted:

What the poo poo do I use to clean the paint off?

Mineral spirits, turpentine, brake cleaner, easy off.

Lots of household stuff takes paint off. You're going to have to scrub to get it out of the pores.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
They could be oil based acrylics. He's saying use water based acrylics, which rarely need thinner to clean the brush.

edit: wait you bought tamiya glue, are they tamiya paints, short fat bottle with a cap as wide as the bottle and about half as tall? Cause they are water based, but they gum up unless you use the thinner with them. Acetone/ nail polish remover is very effective on tamiya paints.

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 22, 2009

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
wow, now that's a tip.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
What's everyone's choice for superglue? I normally use zap-a-gap but I'm not super attached to them since their nozzles are so terrible. I do like plastizap since it doesn't craze styrene.

I'm shopping for a new brand because I'm finally totally out of old super glue.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah, I was thinking of epoxy. I'll try that proCreate because I like greenstuff's texture, but I get hand cramps mixing it up.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Nope, but I keep intending to try it.

Ok, another question. I am trying to restock my paints (the holy crap i'm out of white, red, yellow and blue kind of out) and I'm not fond of post hexagon-flip-top citadel paints. I've been looking up my options, but I can't find a "starter kit" of primary colors from vallejo, reaper, coat d'arms or any of the citadel comparables (outside the UK). I'm kind of looking for a fresh start, but as I've mentioned earlier in the thread, tamiya needs thinner and I'm timid to drop serious cash on gunze or polly without any experience using thinner.

Should I just man up and go to a more "professional" hobby brand like testors model masters or tamiya, or is it possible to stick with water-thinned acrylics like citadel (except cheaper)? Enamel solvent based paints aren't really an option when I occasionally paint soft PVC, and I can't invest in two parallel but incompatible formulas right now.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Oh yeah I knew they made them, but I can't find a US distributer in my area, and I'm still searching the online distributers for some good prices.

edit and hell yes I want that 72 pc set, but hell I don't have $160 to drop on paint right now

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 29, 2009

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
:ughh:

of course the warhammer thread would know, I should have thought of that.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Does anyone know how to get those tiny extension springs that are great pipe greeblies for spaceships? I've tried searching for spring assortments, but I don't think I have the right keywords.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I remember when I built the tamiya RC Sherman I spent about a week or so of afternoons putting those links together.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
wow, that's hardcore. I saw a kaiju painter's workshop on a toy blog I follow and I tried to imagine being as hardcore about painting as this guy (goto-san). Obviously some of it is being a slovenly artist, but the product is so nice.

The serious vinyl guys/"urban designers" talk about paints that we can't get over here due to safety laws. Are there painter's forums? I guess there would be, I never thought to go looking for info about special paints / techniques. The factories in china that paint toys and stuff probably keep their master painter's techniques and paint formulas under wraps what with the crazy competition over there.

I haven't gotten into my airbrush because you absolutely need ventilation to do anything with them, and I haven't rigged it yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 17, 2009

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
If I wanted to make a ratchet & pawl detented joint on a custom, how would I do this? Should I carve some nylon to make the proper pawl and use a pre-made nylon gear, or are there kits that I can raid to get a good nylon ratcheting joint?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
The liquid plastic weld type. I think testors has a triangular black bottle with a needle dispenser that they sell. Should be easy to find in a store. If you're willing to wait for shipment order some online, it'll be cheaper.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I get mine from https://www.theengineerguy.com

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
There's very little cross-interest between the fantasy types and the realism guys. I mean if it was just techniques then yeah great, but you can't expect every niche to get along.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Unkempt posted:

Print-your-own-decals trip report:

ouch.

Take heart in that cameras make everything on a miniature look worse.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
You can rotocast resin. Just pour it it and start hand spinning the mold. Keep moving it for 5-10 minutes until it's fully gelled. I'm assuming you'd only want to make a few extra, because this would be a PITA, all the way from the mold making to the spinning, to the cleanup & selling.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Hmm, lets see if we can boil down proper weathering. If you remember painting models as a kid and drybrushing silver all over or scratching the canopy with an exacto to spiderweb it, you'll remember they looked pretty over the top. Chime in if I missed a technique, I'm sure I did.

Wear/age damage:
Sponging metallics to simulate pocked metal, but don't use bright silvers unless aluminum/titanium/magnesium is the base material. or it's recent damage. it should be tarnished or darkened due to oxidation.
Sponging Rust to simulate superficial rusting
Edge lightening - I use a long brush for a more even line
Chips - painted with a small brush
Salt & Hairspray - a type of masking for tiny random wear effects
Vegemite/Marmite/Toothpaste mask - same as salt, but not as sharp, can

Washes:
Acrylic Wash - great for shadows and large scale effects like mud or dirt
Oil Wash - better for scaled water and oil effects, i.e. the drops and rivulets can be made smaller than an equivalent acrylic wash, better adhesion.
Green Wash - Simulating patina on brass or copper.

Drybrushing:
Uh, Drybrushing - sort of a one trick pony, but I love it. Use in moderation.

Pastels: (note you need to seal these after application, there is no binder)
dust - Grinding up an earth tone and powdering it on
shading - grind it up and paint it on lightly with a soft brush

Texturing:
Using a putty, sculpting surface damage to enhance effects like drybrushing.

Here's a few cool examples of very heavy wear & weathering I've seen recently on a DIY WWR dropcloth (not mine)

Texturing

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Go for gloss paint mixed with gloss medium on a matte surface to look wet. The gloss paint is shiny and the medium adds volume.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Depends, the mold kit will be around $30 and the resin will be $30. It's cheaper, but it may or may not turn out a very detailed product depending on how much time you spend setting up the mold.

For a first timer, grab trial size smooth-on Oomoo(?) 1 to 1 ratio silicone and smoothcast 300 or 325 resin.

TheFuglyStik posted:

Future floor polish with a tiny amount of Simple Green is pure sex when it comes to making a finish look wet. It looks exactly the same fresh onto whatever you're coating with it as it does after curing. :circlefap:

Never heard about the simple green addition, what does it modifiy?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
MIG stuff is good, but expensive.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Here's my quick ideas.
Paint the Dharma logo a cream or eggshell. Then just weather it with the rest of the car.

Hit the areas that would get rained on with a thin mud or dust color wash, the tops of white cars left outside for years and year turn dirt colored very rapidly. Once it's good and dry, do a light rub (with a slightly damp paper towel or your fignernail) to remove the wash from the highest raised areas.

Next, get a good rust color and frizzly small brush. You want halfway between painting and drybrushing in paint load. The frizz on the tip of the brush will make streaks of rust that you can pull down from anything you have painted as severely rusted.

Finally I would hit it with a VERY dry brush of a dark mud for surface rusting. Run it all around on areas that would get good sun and lots of drainage from rain.

Max time for this, 20 min to wash, dry overnight, 10-15min rub, 2-3 min of streaking (use sparingly), then 10 min of drybrushing.

Other than this final weathering, it really looks done. Don't worry about windows, they'll never look right. Old rear end car windows never get clean, but they aren't totally frosted either. Sometimes they get this wacky color change surface layer of silica, like those green/purple colorchange automotive paintjobs. Total pain in the rear end to make it weathered properly even if you got the clear plasticard to fit perfectly.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Nexus Plastic Polish. The only good plastic polish I've found.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
No, but I'm going to watch them now!

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Wow! Great weathering. I can't see anything obvious to suggest.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

LP97S posted:

I've been thinking about getting into this hobby because I already act like a bitter old man and need a similar hobby and I think it might be a better way to pass off-time.

Definitely tackle kits at your skill level. Rigging a clipper ship is for crazies, but I think it might be fun after 20+ years of model kits.

If you're even tangentially interested in robots, don't feel bad buying a gundam. The latest gundams are technical marvels even without paint. Start with a High Grade (HG) and if that's do-able jump immediately to Master Grade (MG). more parts, more details, more fun. They put all sorts of bits in that ONLY the builder will see. It's a lot of fun, and really really different from the poorly fitting boat & plane kits I remember building so many of as a kid.

Once you have enjoyed that, you can jump back into kits that you need to work on to make look good. After a couple of easy successes, masking that bubble canopy or filling huge gaps isn't as tedious.

I've been building a vinyl kit lately and it's a total PITA to figure out without any instructions. Quite a challenge, but sofar it's been fun. I only have a few parts I haven't quite figured out yet. It's apparently a recast, but I got it for free so I don't feel bad. (don't buy recasts! but if your friend gives you one...)

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Sun Dog posted:

Is that a Marshydog? :3:

A Diving Beetle, actually. I WISH it was a marshy dog. I was super psyched when I saw the legs.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

who cares posted:

I am about to start working on a Revell lunar module and I need to attach some gold foil to a couple parts. What kind of glue would work best for that?

Spray fixative adhesive is good, but you only get one chance, because it bonds instantly.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

InternetJunky posted:

[edit]Better pic of the existing airbrush/hose (green) and new airbrush and connector that came with it (red)

there is a 1/4" to airbrush adapter at harbor freight. I think it's how I fixed that problem. I'm not 100% sure.

Their cheapo $10 airbrushes have the same connector on the bottom.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brass-airbrush-adapter-68209.html

Also, you can grab one of these airbrush hoses to avoid the problem in a different manner.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-braided-nylon-airbrush-hose-95813.html

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I looked for some good pictorial techniques for this, but I can't seem to find one that covers this exact case.

First of all, you need to make it look like old, blackened wood. Second, you need to distress the wood.

This one covers actual wood distressing, but ignore the base material, you need to see the technique the guy uses to make the uneven wear patterns.
http://shortlinemodelers.com/weathering/chipping-paint-wooden-models

For your case, the wood is very dark brown, verging on black. Where it becomes worn, it turns a lighter brown of the unaged wood beneath the surface varnish. But it's not just straight pine colored underneath. It's old and soaked through with age. So it's still somewhat gray.

I would recommend doing a base coat of this un-aged wood color with striations in laquer. Make it look like wood.

use the above hairspray technique to paint your blackened, aged wood over the younger laquer. Remove sections of this to reveal the undercoat where you would see damage.

Remember your scale when distressing the paintjob. 1/72 means that if you were really looking at it (1/1 scale, far enough away it is the same size as your model in your hand), it would be way off in the distance. You don't need to scratches, but you would be able to see gouges or where the ship has sideswiped other boats.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah, that's what I'd try first. Just do the first layer in lacquer so if the overcoat doesn't look great, you can wipe the topcoat of dark black/brown off without having to redo the undercoat.

For that, I believe you have to use Testors Lacquer (TS- for plastics), since Mr. Color tends to craze when you try and remove the topcoat.

The Striations I'm talking about is the old "fake wood grain" methodology people have been using since MDF and other smooth boards have become easier to source than hardwood.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4994309_make-faux-wood-grain-finish.html

Lay down your most "wood color" first, like a burnt umber or dark red tan.
Drag in one direction to make stripes. Let it set overnight/ use a heat lamp to set it.
Do another layer, more gray,
Do another layer, more gray.
Do a final layer, then add some detailing of knots. Emphasize some of the planks more than others to indicate repairs/newer boards mixed with older ones.

Wash with a Dark brown (devlan mud, imo) to make the wood look more weathered on the surface than in the cracks.

Just using less than your best brushwork or a cheaper brush can make the striping easier.

For the topcoat, I'd give the hairspray technique a go first. After that, some washing and perhaps a soot drybrush.

That's how I'd approach it.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Midjack posted:

If you think LEDs are hairy you should check out some 1990s vintage fiber optic light add-ons for kits.

Truth. That used to be the height of XTREME GREEBLE F-X KITXXX. I was totally jealous of kits that got fiber.

In general, LEDs are really easy to work with now-a-days. The trick is to either plunk down for a prebuilt LED controller and drive a handful of LEDs in wild and crazy ways or go simple and stupid with a resistor and a properly sized power supply for the number of LEDs you're driving.

Otherwise you're taking an intro to Electronics engineering, and when that goes downhill so does your enjoyment of whatever you're modelling (ask me how I know)

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

The Locator posted:

Speaking of sales, I just got a postcard from Model Expo. 50% off everything with free shipping over $150 and back orders are included.

So what? You say.. They just started carrying the entire line of Vallejo paints. So if you were ever interested in getting that 72 bottle set of Model-air, it's now $150 with free shipping if you add in another item of any price to push the total over 150.

Use offer code FIRE5 and its good through July 31st. Their website won't show the correct price until checkout.

Holy moly thanks, Yaaay

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
You could also set it up like one of those decommissioned planes in front of air museums, they all have crazed cockpits like that from sun exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Baronjutter posted:

I wanted to make a nasty little 1950-60's ish addition to this pretty 1930's industrial building. The bricks are perfect n scale CMU's, which are a hell of a lot easier to cut than n scale bricks. The whole thing is painfully gray, maybe I should have kept the cmu's raw concrete looking but at least painted the concrete frame some sort of colour, but it's too late now so it's all raw concrete except for the blue door.

Look into weather effects like acid rain and smog soot to discolor where the rain washes the building or where gutters are clogged/broken, creating huge streaks over the facing. Having an idea of general wind-directions and weather patterns would be important for a unified look.

Afterwards, graffiti repaints at ground level and along the roofline help sell it.