Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.
My dad has always been huge into modeling and it was a big part of us as I grew up. One tool we've always used, which I haven't seen mentioned here is a ruling pen:

Adjust the pen to the desired thickness of glue bead you want, hold your seams together, dip that in your Tenax, run it down the seam, voila. I've never used anything else and can't imagine the job getting done better with any other tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Vaporware posted:

I was always afraid of ruining my pen by leaving it out with glue or ink on it, is it easy to clean up if you let it gum up?

Plastic will inevitably make its way on the tip. WAit for it to dry, widen the tip and pass an Xacto through it once or twice and it's clean. The plastic doesn't really adhere to the pen.

Cakefool posted:

I always wondered what those things were, funky. You just dip it into the glue yeah? Might have to look at one. I generally get away with glueing the inside of a seam, but visible glue marks can be unavoidable.

Yeah just dip it right in there. It takes some practice to get the right adjustment on the gap as to how much glue you want come out of it. This will fill the seam with glue. If you're getting just the right amount, you'll have minimal, if any, glue marks.

I haven't built something in years. I'm getting a huge nerdy itch to build something sci-fi.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

The little-known, but epic 1:1 Alien Facehugger kit shows up on there occasionally, as well as the usual Halcyon kits.
Full resin kit, 3' tall with tail if I remember. I so lusted after that when I was a kid. I may hit up Hobby Lobby on the way home and look for an inexpensive wing kit to get back into the swing of things. It's been a few years since I've built anything.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Yep, you know the dude is a badass from the Tamiya and IPMS trophies, plaques, and honors he has. I think my personal favorite is the Su-27 Flanker, although his award-winning naval diorama is epic.

I should take some pictures of my dad's awards shelves. I'll ask him for some pictures of his latest works and whatnot if you guys want to check some of it out.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

My solution for the majority of weathering is to buy a set of pastels and have a wide array of brushes on hand. Sweep them across the chalks and onto the painted model. Kinda like doing make-up. To seal it all in, afterward, go over the finished product with some airbrushed flat clearcote or gloss, depending on what you're doing.

Edit: I have a larger set of these pastels here:

Click here for the full 1518x882 image.

permanoob fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 13, 2009