Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
I used to make models when I was younger like a lot of other guys in this thread, and I'm just now thinking of getting back into the hobby. I was strictly a beginner back then - no painting or anything of the sort so I'm thinking of starting with something on the easier end, maybe a WWII aircraft or something.

If I take to the hobby though, I was hoping to eventually build some helicopters. Do any of you have experience with that? Specifically, I've been trying to find a model of the MH-53 Pave-low, but I haven't seen anything. Helicopters look pretty complicated so I figured I'd hold off, at least initially. Also, I'd love to see more photos of all of your finished work, as sort of an inspiration to begin. A picture of a pave-low below, for reference:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ZenMastaT fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

Powdered Toast Man posted:

You could try to convert these if you want a larger model (these things are pretty big in that scale), but I don't know of a conversion kit that would facilitate that.

There is, however, a 1:72 MH-53J Pave Low III made by Italeri. I can't seem to find it for sale on any model sites any more, so it must be out of production right now. I'd suggest checking eBay if you're interested in it. Here's some pictures of a finished one: http://arcair.com/Gal6/5601-5700/gal5640_MH53_Yilmaz/00.shtm (by the way, if you want inspiration you can't go wrong with ARC's massive gallery, including pictures from some of the best modelers in the world)

Just wanted to thank you for the advice. For some reason I was being exceptionally thick headed and totally forgot to search out the other MH-53 variants that might exist in model form. Stopped by a local hobby shop today and picked up an Italeri kit (The Super Sea Stallion). Bought some cement and a knife - just going to wait for that touch and flow applicator to arrive in the mail.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Would any of you know what paint (applied by paintbrush) most closely resembles US Navy gray? My helicopter model thing recommends gunship gray, but some reviews and online galleries show that this is a ridiculous color which is too dark and wrong.

Also, if I'm planning to paint something for the first time, sans airbrush, are there any general tips or is painting everything solid gray hard to gently caress up like I hope it is.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Thanks again for all your advice guys. I picked up some Tamiya acrylic paints that look like they should do the job alright - it turns out I may be able to drum up an airbrush and a compressor from a relative in the near future so if I don't lose patience by then I may go that route. For now I'm satisfied with the challenge of just putting the thing together.

Speaking of which, I have been running into a rather stupid problem that I can't seem to come up with a solution for. While joining the two main halves of the body of the helicopter together I find it difficult to get glue down in all the right places before it dries. I'm using a touch-N-flow applicator along the inside of the seams where the two halves will meet but because I'm trying to go around the entire helicopter's body in one go the glue either dries before I can join the body together properly or the touch-N-flow runs out of glue in its reservoir.

Here is a link to a review of the kit I am building if that gives you a better idea of what I am talking about : http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/it/kit_it_1065.shtml

I ended up joining the body together with less glue than I would have liked - then adding more glue to the exterior of the seam after the two halves were already joined. This resulted in some "glue marks" or whatever you call them where you can see evidence of dried glue on the exterior. Is this the type of thing that is just expected or am I too clumsy?

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Cool. One other thing I forgot to mention - I've been having a little trouble refilling the touch-n-flow applicator after each use. The little instruction sheet says I should drag it out across some paper to insure it is empty before refilling. I do this but often it will take a few minutes to totally clear of air and start refilling from the bottle - even with judicious flicking of the needle end.

The glue I'm using is MicroMark brand "SameStuff" generic version of Tenax-7R. Oh yeah, how long should you let modeling putty sit to dry after application before you try to sand it?

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

Danger - Octopus! posted:

So, are 1/72 kits meant to be put together with tweezers? Trying to glue a 3mm gearstick into place is just a nightmare!

I was actually thinking of moving up to 1/48 for the next thing I build for that same reason. Since the pair of tweezers I have are kind of dumb and awkward I ended up rolling up a tiny strip of masking tape and using that, stuck to the part and one finger, to get things into place. Not the best solution and I definitely hosed up a couple times.

Still, at least with helicopters, it seems like 1/72 scale has a much wider variety of models available and I'd kind of like to keep everything I build around the same scale.

Powdered Toast Man mentioned weathering earlier and from the galleries I've been browsing, that seems to be what makes the difference between something that is well put together and something amazing. Is weathering too much for a rank amateur like myself to attempt, or is it easier than it seems? What kind of techniques do you use to, say, simulate the effects of jet exhaust or oil leaks? I read some of that crazy Japanese guy's how-to guides but they are so perfect and involved that I find myself intimidated.

I'd also love some tips about painting in general too. The instructions make it seem like you should paint each piece before you apply it but the different build guides I've read seem to indicate otherwise. Plus if there are gaps and putty and sanding are required then painting before hand would be a mistake. Anyway, sorry for all my repeated questions in this thread but I keep stumbling into things that confuse me.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
So what do you guys use to apply modeling putty to gaps? I tried using a Q-Tip but it tends to smear a bit more than I'd like and the cotton can get stuck to the model too.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Is a "flat base" the same as a primer? I bought some Tamiya paint with that as a label with the idea of starting my painting experiments there.

In other news, my hilariously ill-fated experiment to paint a completed model with a brush and acrylics is turning out about as well as you might expect. This is literally my first time ever attempting to paint a model, and the first time I have used paint since probably elementary school. Needless to say I am not great.

I'm going to get an airbrush some time after christmas but I got impatient, having already finished my first build so I bought some acrylics for use with paint brushes against advice here. Should I just give up until I have a shot at learning an airbrush, should I go out and buy some enamels, or should I kick myself for being too lazy to paint the thing before I had it completely built up?

ZenMastaT fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 12, 2009

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
God drat that is some fine looking stuff. Wish I had half your talent when it comes to painting, hell I'd settle for half your girlfriends talent. What kind of diorama scene are you thinking of?

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
So I find this on a shelf at a local model ship that seems to have a lot of old out of print stock sitting around (Including that discontinued Italeri Pavelow III mentioned earlier):

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=14145&newlist=1&page=49

The box doesn't seem to have any painting recommendations though. Any ideas?

Here's a link to a ridiculous Huey build in progress over at ARC also:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=188853

ZenMastaT fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
How do you guys usually mix acrylic paints? I'm using a toothpick but some of the paints come out a bit watery. Others seem to come out fine with the same duration of stirring though. I'm using Tamiya and Model Master acrylics and it seems like the lighter colors are more problematic (white, yellow etc).

Also how do you usually go about masking off areas? Tamiya tape shaped with an X-Acto knife is what I've been trying but it seems like the acrylic paint can kind of seep underneath it on occasion making the painstaking masking effort useless.