Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Afro Thunder posted:

Hey I've been using the Ableton Live Suite 8 demo for a bit now, and I've been mostly using online tutorials to learn and what not. I know there are some lessons that are included with it but whenever I open them they are just Live Sets, and don't really teach me anything other then give me examples. Is this what is it supposed to be or am I just screwing things up?

They're basically a walkthrough of the major sections of the program.

Go to View -> Lessons to make sure the Lessons pane is active on the right, then you can select the different lessons and work through them in any order. You don't want to open the live sets directly because then you won't get the explanatory text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Afro Thunder posted:

Hey I've been using the Ableton Live Suite 8 demo for a bit now, and I've been mostly using online tutorials to learn and what not. I know there are some lessons that are included with it but whenever I open them they are just Live Sets, and don't really teach me anything other then give me examples. Is this what is it supposed to be or am I just screwing things up?

The live sets go with tutorials. Go to the View menu and go to Help View, then look for the tutorials there.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki
What pedalboards are people using to control the Live 8 looper? I'm using Stealthpedal by IK, as I can use that as an interface for Live and use my NI Audio 8DJ for Traktor Scratch Pro on my Mac. What are some of the options people are digging?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Computer Jones posted:

Apologies if there's a better thread for this. Anyway: I'm having trouble recording my synth using Ableton Live 6 and my M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Basically, all my recordings come out sounding like rear end, even though everything sounds fine when I record using Audacity. I've tried all sorts of combinations of buffer size/driver error compensation/sample rate but nothing seems to make it sound right. Any ideas?

It seems it was Ableton's warping that made it sound poo poo. Turning off "Auto warp long clips" fixed it.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

today I made a bunch of live clips for every diatonic triad in the C major and C minor keys.

now to come up with songs I just randomly click buttons. Key change? Just turn this knob over here!

thanks ableton! :iamafag:

edit:

Mannex fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 22, 2009

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Mannex posted:

today I made a bunch of live clips for every chord in the C major and C minor keys.

now to come up with songs I just randomly click buttons. Key change? Just turn this knob over here!

post .als

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Mannex posted:

today I made a bunch of live clips for every chord in the C major and C minor keys.

I want that pack. Seriously. Upload it so I can bow before you.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Professorbx posted:

I want that pack. Seriously. Upload it so I can bow before you.

I do believe I've excessively oversold myself here, as I haven't gotten around to adding all the super-fancy chords. I'm using it to help my guitarist friend understand music theory, so it only has the basic root-third-fifth scale tone triads in there for now.

We add a new chord type every day, and I'll throw it up on here after the 7th chords.

Mannex fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 22, 2009

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki
Even in its current state it would give me fun for hours.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I too would greatly appreciate it...

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

RizieN posted:

Me 3. Good idea.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Mannex posted:

today I made a bunch of live clips for every diatonic triad in the C major and C minor keys.

edit:
These might help you a bit:
http://www.fakecomputermusic.com/etc/chordscalepresets.zip

I can't remember where I got these, but they were from someone on the Ableton forum.

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 22, 2009

afrodeziakk
Feb 12, 2008
no pants zone

RizieN posted:

would also bow towards you for this :)

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Wonder if anyone can help me. I'm trying to use my microKorg as a MIDI controller in Live via my x-fi's MIDI ports. Thing is, it doesn't detect the keyboard unless it's plugged in and switched on when the computer starts, which sucks.

There's a similar problem with my USB midi controller, but that can be fixed by quitting Live, switching it on/off, then restarting Live. Using the x-fi MIDI port requires a restart of the whole computer :(

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Scuzzpuck posted:

Wonder if anyone can help me. I'm trying to use my microKorg as a MIDI controller in Live via my x-fi's MIDI ports. Thing is, it doesn't detect the keyboard unless it's plugged in and switched on when the computer starts, which sucks.

There's a similar problem with my USB midi controller, but that can be fixed by quitting Live, switching it on/off, then restarting Live. Using the x-fi MIDI port requires a restart of the whole computer :(

Buy a 30 dollar midi to usb cable. Problem solved creative midi blows, but it has great jitter control and is very tight compared to lots of interfaces. To bad everything else sucks about it when it comes to recording. Spend money solve problem.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Rkelly posted:

Buy a 30 dollar midi to usb cable. Problem solved creative midi blows, but it has great jitter control and is very tight compared to lots of interfaces. To bad everything else sucks about it when it comes to recording. Spend money solve problem.

Oh man. I thought using the MIDI ports on the soundcard would be better than USB :'(

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Scuzzpuck posted:

You could probably disable and then reenable the X-Fi through Device Manager to get the same effect. Still a hassle, but slightly better than a full restart.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

After using Sonar for 3 years and ignoring Live, I just have to say HOLY poo poo! Ableton + Monomachine + Machinedrum = love! It's going to take a few months to get used to this, but god drat I've had some great improv sessions already. I'm sold.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Happy Hedonist posted:

After using Sonar for 3 years and ignoring Live, I just have to say HOLY poo poo! Ableton + Monomachine + Machinedrum = love! It's going to take a few months to get used to this, but god drat I've had some great improv sessions already. I'm sold.
I really thing that there are only two kinds of producers; those that have used Live and love it, and those that haven't used Live.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I need an APC40 now! What sucks though is that I don't even have any type of PA or monitor setup at the moment. I use headphones or my mostly lovely JBL PC speakers. I need to invest in some monitors and or a PA system.

Good thing I'm single. I couldn't afford all this poo poo and a family. :)

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I just ordered my APC40 but it won't be here for a few weeks :[ I'm really excited to build a big set and just fucccccck around with it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Did the price to upgrade Live go up? I'm using L6 still, and when I looked at the site, it was $289 to upgrade to L8, $419 for L8 Suite.

I could have sworn it was like $130.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

vas0line posted:

These might help you a bit:
http://www.fakecomputermusic.com/etc/chordscalepresets.zip

I can't remember where I got these, but they were from someone on the Ableton forum.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I load these files up?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

prom candy posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I load these files up?

Drop them in [your Ableton Library directory]\Presets\MIDI Effects\Chord (or Scale for the Scale presets).

You'll see a bunch of other .adv files in there already.

(also thanks for these Vas0line, nice find).

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
Woo. Just got Live 8 and NI Komplete. I'm gonna be installing all day, Komplete is 12 drat DVDs!

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Vanmani posted:

Woo. Just got Live 8 and NI Komplete. I'm gonna be installing all day, Komplete is 12 drat DVDs!

It seriously took me well over 4 hours (including patches) to install Komplete on a crazy fast quad core machine.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=48922&highlight=sweepable+crossover

This thing rocks, check it out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
:siren: Deal :siren:

Buy Live 8 before August 31st and get Sampler for free. So, it's Live 8, Operator, and Sampler.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Kai was taken posted:

:siren: Deal :siren:

Buy Live 8 before August 31st and get Sampler for free. So, it's Live 8, Operator, and Sampler.

Not valid with educational discount unfortunately. But if you get the aforementioned NI Komplete for $399 (which includes Kontakt 3) you probably won't have much need for Sampler anyway.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of things, but how do you record into those clips without it looping back over and destroying what you already recorded? It seems like it's impossible to get the timing down unless you just draw the notes manually.

Also do you even use the clips if you're trying to compose like straight up rock/pop music, or is it generally better to just use the arrangement window?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I've recently started reconsidering the classic wav vs. mp3 debate. I don't think there is an audible difference between 320kb/s mp3 and wav when you're just playing the files but I'm going to do some A/B tests tonight between the two using Live's complex time-stretch algorithm. I've been using mp3s for my DJ sets in Live and I'm thinking I may be shortchanging myself. Plus when I record my mixes and compress them to host them online I'm going mp3 -> wav -> mp3 and that can't be good. Unfortunately switching to wav would probably mean spending hundreds in duplicate song purchases. Any thoughts?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

prom candy posted:

I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of things, but how do you record into those clips without it looping back over and destroying what you already recorded? It seems like it's impossible to get the timing down unless you just draw the notes manually.

Also do you even use the clips if you're trying to compose like straight up rock/pop music, or is it generally better to just use the arrangement window?

If you record into a blank clip slot, it will stretch the recording out for as long as you need, and then you can go back later and crop/loop the part that you need.

I spend probably 90% of the time in clip mode, for instance for a rock song I'll have a verse clip and a chorus clip and then paste them into arrangement mode. The only reason I typically ever spend more any time in arrangement mode is if I'm spicing up a MIDI drum track or putting in some automation envelopes.

It's also useful to worth taking a few minutes to figure out how clip follow actions work, so you can chain stuff together right in clip mode.

Dopo posted:

I've recently started reconsidering the classic wav vs. mp3 debate. I don't think there is an audible difference between 320kb/s mp3 and wav when you're just playing the files but I'm going to do some A/B tests tonight between the two using Live's complex time-stretch algorithm. I've been using mp3s for my DJ sets in Live and I'm thinking I may be shortchanging myself. Plus when I record my mixes and compress them to host them online I'm going mp3 -> wav -> mp3 and that can't be good. Unfortunately switching to wav would probably mean spending hundreds in duplicate song purchases. Any thoughts?

wav (or FLAC) all the way here. Disk space is so inexpensive and plentiful and if I'm going to play a track (or sample) in a mix or a live set, I want it to sound as good as it can. As you say, high bitrate mp3 sounds okay on its own, but the encoder does a lot of trickery like bandpass filtering (to reduce noise artifacts) and joint stereo merging (to reduce file size). You can minimize some of those factors if you encode all of your own mp3 but even then, once you start timestretching/pitchshifting tracks and mixing them together, these kinds of processing can become more apparent. And as you say, it's a bad idea to lossy compress a file which was lossy compressed to start with.

I do feel your pain about potentially re-buying music.

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me

Dopo posted:

Buy on beatport. You can get the wav file there and compressing wav to mp3 if you need to is going to give you less artifacts then the other way around. Actually, procuring .wav files is pretty easy through most dance-track websites... unless of course you aren't playing dance music in which case I have no idea.

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

LIKE ME

http://sharktopus.com/live/CHORD_TRIGGERS_live8.als

Here is all of the chords from the chord pack set up with some ghost clips to change key and all grouped up and ready to go.

If anyone here starts using this live or even just at home I'd be interested in hearing how useful it is. I just spent like an hour setting it all up and now I'm about to play with it.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Meaty Potato posted:

Buy on beatport. You can get the wav file there and compressing wav to mp3 if you need to is going to give you less artifacts then the other way around. Actually, procuring .wav files is pretty easy through most dance-track websites... unless of course you aren't playing dance music in which case I have no idea.

I actually bought most of it from beatport initially as mp3. You'd think I'd be able to get some sort of discount if I've already purchased the track from them. Motherfuckers.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

Sharktopus posted:

LIKE ME

http://sharktopus.com/live/CHORD_TRIGGERS_live8.als

Here is all of the chords from the chord pack set up with some ghost clips to change key and all grouped up and ready to go.

If anyone here starts using this live or even just at home I'd be interested in hearing how useful it is. I just spent like an hour setting it all up and now I'm about to play with it.

Is there a way you could save this as Live 7 compatible? I've been following this thread like mad because I'm always hungry for more tips and tricks to use in Live and what you were talking about sounded really cool, but I can't afford to upgrade unfortunately :(

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Vanmani posted:

Not valid with educational discount unfortunately. But if you get the aforementioned NI Komplete for $399 (which includes Kontakt 3) you probably won't have much need for Sampler anyway.

I still like Sampler. For straight sample playback it's whatever, but for sound design reasons it rocks.

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me

Dopo posted:

I actually bought most of it from beatport initially as mp3. You'd think I'd be able to get some sort of discount if I've already purchased the track from them. Motherfuckers.

I seem to remember that there is a way to get around that with them. Let me see if I can figure out how to do it.. maybe they took that feature away.

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

Plastic Snake posted:

Is there a way you could save this as Live 7 compatible? I've been following this thread like mad because I'm always hungry for more tips and tricks to use in Live and what you were talking about sounded really cool, but I can't afford to upgrade unfortunately :(

Because of the groups I cannot do any kind of nice copy/paste or open it in live7.

If anyone knows of a way to convert 8 to 7, let me know and i'd be more than happy to give it a shot.

I highly recommend upgrading to live8, the groups have cleaned up my sets a ton and the looper is really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I swear, as much as I love Live, it's like a $250/year license because of their upgrades.