Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

Here's a screenshot in case someone was wondering how to use this thing

First, route the MIDI OUT track to whatever you want and set that track to in. (I have it routed to an example MIDI IN track here with no instrument on it.)

Click the key you want, then hold the chord you want, I have them set to gate so you've got to hold the chord until the next bar starts.

If anyone finds a better way to trigger these let me know so I can try it out.

EDIT: link since this got pushed to a new page
http://sharktopus.com/live/CHORD_TRIGGERS_live8.als

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Meaty Potato posted:

I seem to remember that there is a way to get around that with them. Let me see if I can figure out how to do it.. maybe they took that feature away.

If you actually follow up on this you will have exceeded all expectations that I hold for internet strangers.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I just wrote a tutorial on Audio Effect Racks.

Comments are welcome.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

h_double posted:

I just wrote a tutorial on Audio Effect Racks.

Comments are welcome.

Here is a nice tutorial with racks and the apc 40 combined with vst controls, its sweet. Another reason why Live8 eats Live7s little bo peep.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
What's the best way to get the old school analog vocoder freestyle robot voice in software? I can't really do it with Ableton's vocoder but I might be doing it wrong and/or not know some tricks that would make it sound better? Ideally it'd be with everything built into Ableton but I'm flexible.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

stun runner posted:

What's the best way to get the old school analog vocoder freestyle robot voice in software?

Buy this or this.

quote:

I can't really do it with Ableton's vocoder

Closest I could get was this. If that's good enough for you, I'll upload the set.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I love you yoozer. I love yoo yoozer.

But yeah, I'm looking for something as close to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfXKkNo7YZ8

as possible. I couldn't do it with the abletron vocoder, I'll give the demos of those two a shot, thanks for the recommendations. Any specific tips would be cool if you know 'em off the top of your head too.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
No tips but vocoding is way tough unless you just have a legit synth with microphone setup :\

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

stun runner posted:

Any specific tips would be cool if you know 'em off the top of your head too.

Condition the input signal. This isn't done by checking "Enhance" in the Ableton vocoder, but by putting a compressor over the vocals to reduce dynamic range and before the compressor, an EQ to cut away the frequencies you're not going to use anyway. A somewhat decent (hardware) vocoder has stuff like this already built in, but it never hurts to do anyway.

Experiment with the number of bands. More bands = more fidelity, but may remove the grainy character you're looking for.

Use a good, harmonically rich carrier signal. 2 oscillators, both saw, no filters. Even better if you can brighten that up a bit with distortion.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Vocoders have a certain character based on how the bands are chosen. If all else fails, simply get a different machine or piece of software to do the job for you. I can not entirely agree with Terrible Horse: various virtual analog synths have a vocoder tacked on as an effect, but it doesn't mean they all sound awesome. The Virus' vocoder is pretty tame, the one in the Micromodular is hailed as awesome and cheap, but the software I've linked to sounds pretty stellar and would probably do a better job than either.

Something I have to experiment with: consider using an effects rack with EQs used as a crossover filter and a vocoder per filter. Treat the high frequencies with a different vocoder (with the same input signal but perhaps with a different number of bands).

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
There is also a little box in the bottom of ableton's vocoder that says 'Precise' that when you click it it turns to 'Retro' which adds a little more funk, but you may have tried that.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I use Robotronic as my vocoder. It has a built compressor and has a great sound quality. Virsyn's vocoder rocks also.

I use robotronic daily in band practice and it rules. I vocode my guitar a lot.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I have a Drum Rack loaded up and a pattern entered, but I want to put an effect on the hats only, not the rest. How can I do this?

In Reason I'd just patch redrum's individual channels into an effects box or use one of the sends, but I can't figure out how to do it in Ableton. I've tried messing with chains but I can never seem to route the output correctly or I effect the entire drum kit rather than the individual drums.

Do I have to load the drum up on an individual Impulse/Simpler pattern and do it that way?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Each sample on the drums should have its own little chain right?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Three Red Lights posted:

Each sample on the drums should have its own little chain right?
They're grouped up into Cymbals, Hats etc.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

See where I've put the ping-pong delay? All I did was double click the snare drum so its Sampler shows up and drag it right after it. If you look closely it's still inside the Drum Rack, not after it. If you put the effect after the entire Rack it will affect all the samples.

Plavski posted:

Do I have to load the drum up on an individual Impulse/Simpler pattern and do it that way?

All a Drum Rack is is a bunch of individual Samplers in an easier to use interface.

Plastic Snake fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 11, 2009

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Plastic Snake posted:

See where I've put the ping-pong delay? All I did was double click the snare drum so its Sampler shows up and drag it right after it. If you look closely it's still inside the Drum Rack, not after it. If you put the effect after the entire Rack it will affect all the samples.

All a Drum Rack is is a bunch of individual Samplers in an easier to use interface.
The issue just turned out to be me not double-clicking the right thing. Thanks for the help though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I can't get ableton 8 to assign midi maps. I highlight the control and turn the knob but it won't record the control change. Yet the yellow light in the corner flashes. What am I doing wrong???

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

never mind you have to set up yourt controller as a remote as well as a track changer thingy

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Koo Koo Ka-Chaw Koo Koo Ka-Chaw
I've been using Live 8 for about a month and I absolutely love it. I have a question about automation though. If I'm recording with arrangement view and triggering clips in session view. I have my effects going to the master, I'm using stuff like beat repeat and filters. After i finished random "on and off" triggering of effects and exporting my audio it just turned on all of my effects and added them to the final mixdown. Am I able to record automations that way or is there a better solution to what I'm trying to do. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm still new to it.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

EMUpirate posted:

I've been using Live 8 for about a month and I absolutely love it. I have a question about automation though. If I'm recording with arrangement view and triggering clips in session view. I have my effects going to the master, I'm using stuff like beat repeat and filters. After i finished random "on and off" triggering of effects and exporting my audio it just turned on all of my effects and added them to the final mixdown. Am I able to record automations that way or is there a better solution to what I'm trying to do. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm still new to it.
I'd like to help you, but I have no idea what you're asking. Can you rephrase "After i finished random "on and off" triggering of effects and exporting my audio it just turned on all of my effects and added them to the final mixdown."? I was following you up until that point. All of the manipulations to effects and stuff you do in session view should be recorded as automation data in arrangement view.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Yeah, it's probably a problem with the automation you've recorded. It's kind of hard to diagnose without knowing a little more but double check the recorded automation tracks to make sure nothing weird is going on with them.

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

stun runner posted:

Yeah, it's probably a problem with the automation you've recorded. It's kind of hard to diagnose without knowing a little more but double check the recorded automation tracks to make sure nothing weird is going on with them.

Yea, it's working correctly now, today was really the first day I'd played with automation. Sorry I didn't word it more clearly, I wasn't even sure how to word it. I was using like 4 different effects in the master effect box, playing with them while triggering stuff in session view. For some reason the MIDI automation track never started.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

EMUpirate posted:

Yea, it's working correctly now, today was really the first day I'd played with automation. Sorry I didn't word it more clearly, I wasn't even sure how to word it. I was using like 4 different effects in the master effect box, playing with them while triggering stuff in session view. For some reason the MIDI automation track never started.
The global record button at the top might not of been activated. This will result in you being able to manipulate effects, but your actions will not be recorded as automation data.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
i just got a midi footpedal and let me tell you boys holy poo poo its awesome. i had to use midistroke(free midi to keystroke for mac) and i set it all up and its unbelievable. i highly recommend looking into a midi to keystroke program it really opens up ableton in a way just midi cant. For something like mpd's or other midi controlers its amazing. i cant believe i didnt use something like this for the first couple of years i used live.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

oredun posted:

i just got a midi footpedal and let me tell you boys holy poo poo its awesome. i had to use midistroke(free midi to keystroke for mac) and i set it all up and its unbelievable. i highly recommend looking into a midi to keystroke program it really opens up ableton in a way just midi cant. For something like mpd's or other midi controlers its amazing. i cant believe i didnt use something like this for the first couple of years i used live.
Are you using it with Looper? Cos the videos I've seen of people doing that are just mindblowing.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Plavski posted:

Are you using it with Looper? Cos the videos I've seen of people doing that are just mindblowing.

looper can be used with just a sustain pedal and it works great(i was a beta tester, but i dont have money to upgrade, talk about blue balls). i have 7 so i dont have looper and i wanted to loop and control my set while i played a bass. the keystroke converter is a muthafuckin magic bullet. now i use the keystroke with my MPD and i can control everything in the set without touching the computer, its great.

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Under the Midi Ports in options can someone explain what Track and Sync are used for? I understand remote, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have all 3 active for my controllers. Got my automation problem taken care of btw, thanks a bunch.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Sync sends that pulse/heartbeat to keep slaved midi instruments to the same bpm. Or, you could have Ableton by slaved to that device.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

EMUpirate posted:

Under the Midi Ports in options can someone explain what Track and Sync are used for? I understand remote, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have all 3 active for my controllers. Got my automation problem taken care of btw, thanks a bunch.

"Track" is to transmit MIDI notes (you usually want this on, although there are cases (like if you were playing an external synth that was producing its own local sound) where you might want to turn it off in one direction).

"Sync" is to allow Live to act as a MIDI Clock master/slave or a MIDI Timecode slave to sync with an external sequencer, drum machine, etc. See http://www.tweakheadz.com/sync_mmc_mtc_smpte.htm for a general conceptual overview, but you shouldn't need this unless you have some other hardware device operating on its own clock.

"Remote" is to allow the MIDI device to control the automatable elements of Live's UI.

h_double fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 24, 2009

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I'm pretty sure this is a question I'm going to get laughed at for asking, but hey, gotta start somewhere...

For some reason, any time I export a song to a wav, it absolutely crushes my low end. The kick drum all but disappears. Am I missing some trick to this or do I just have to compress the gently caress out of them and boost the gain through the roof? Listening to a song in Ableton sounds fine, but listening to the exported wav sounds like total poo poo :(

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.

MrTheDevious posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a question I'm going to get laughed at for asking, but hey, gotta start somewhere...

For some reason, any time I export a song to a wav, it absolutely crushes my low end. The kick drum all but disappears. Am I missing some trick to this or do I just have to compress the gently caress out of them and boost the gain through the roof? Listening to a song in Ableton sounds fine, but listening to the exported wav sounds like total poo poo :(

Sounds like there's a problem with the export - it should just sound as it does in ableton. Don't start compressing stuff for the sake of it...

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Lewk posted:

Sounds like there's a problem with the export - it should just sound as it does in ableton. Don't start compressing stuff for the sake of it...

That's what keeps confusing me. I've tried drat near everything and nothing works except compressing and boosting the gain, and then it sounds like lovely pop music

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Try putting a highpass EQ at 80 Hz on every channel you have sampled percussion, effects or loops on for starters. Transposing a sampled loop up may introduce mud.

edit: forget it, just EQ everything, cut away bits you don't need/hear.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 5, 2009

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it
Just got my APC in today, it's so pretty! Can't wait to get to grips with it.

Anyone know when Max for Live is coming out? I saw a video of how it's supposed to interface with Live and the APC and I'm virtually wetting myself with excitement.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

duggimon posted:

Just got my APC in today, it's so pretty! Can't wait to get to grips with it.

Anyone know when Max for Live is coming out? I saw a video of how it's supposed to interface with Live and the APC and I'm virtually wetting myself with excitement.
Speaking of which, what does everyone here use as a control surface for Ableton?

I use a BCR2000 with some awesome custom presets so I have a crazy amount of easily accessible control over everything in ableton.

Are there any Maschine users in here? Any more APC folks?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I've had an APC on order for months :( When everything's done I'm gonna use the APC, a Trigger Finger, and the third kaoss pad to control live.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
APC here and I loving love it.

I'm in a psychedelic rock band though, and my brother is some kind of savant(edit, was kind of joking, not trying to come off pompous; but he's unnaturally good at music, and can't read/write/theorize, but can play anything he hears and jam on anyones poo poo), but he can't play keys and guitar at the same time. So we'll capture his keys and I'll play em with the APC while I sing. When I get better at ableton I imagine I'll get into some really funky psychedelic jams utilizing effects and maximizing the APC's potential, but for now I just capture/load/play clips my brother makes.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 4, 2009

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

MrTheDevious posted:

That's what keeps confusing me. I've tried drat near everything and nothing works except compressing and boosting the gain, and then it sounds like lovely pop music

What do you have loaded up on your master channel and how's your master volume meter looking? Does it dance, or just sit on the 0db mark more or less constantly, or go into the red?

Also make sure you export 24bit and not normalized.

ananke
Mar 13, 2004
the blandest of the bland
For anyone who is wanting to get an APC, I'd suggest calling up any shops you have around first. I called my local Guitar Center and they had 2 in stock, so I picked one up today before half the websites out there were even allowing orders again. The clerk told me they weren't selling out super fast or anything.

I love it! It's so nice to have actual controls instead of having to sit down and mix everything with a mouse. I'm not sure how much I'll really utilize the performance aspect of it since I use Ableton to record rock songs, but there is a huge amount of control that I've been missing.

Only complaint so far is that it is not liking songs I already mixed down in 8 before I purchased it. I'll arrow between devices but the knobs will continue to control the first device. Trying to shift between controls in a device causes the APC40 to freeze and become unresponsive, requiring a reboot of Ableton.

Works like a dream on anything new I put together, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.

MrTheDevious posted:

Are you on Live 8? If you want you could upload it, or a portion of it, and i'll try and do an export, that way we'll know if it's your computer or the project file. It's sort of difficult to tell without having a look.