Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ananke posted:

Works like a dream on anything new I put together, however.

I must be sounding like a broken record right now but do you work primarily with Session or Arrangement view, and would you consider it useful for Arrangement view too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Is there a matrix step sequencer in Ableton?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Plavski posted:

There's a flexible note grid editor, but nothing I'd call a traditional step sequencer.

(though you can do some cool things sort of in that direction using MIDI Effect Racks)

ananke
Mar 13, 2004
the blandest of the bland

Yoozer posted:

I must be sounding like a broken record right now but do you work primarily with Session or Arrangement view, and would you consider it useful for Arrangement view too?

It depends on what I'm doing, honestly. I don't use Ableton for electronic music, I use it to record rock and metal. Sometimes if a song calls for a live feel, I will strictly use Arrangement and record different tracks in one or two take, similar to other DAWs, without warping them. Through this method the clip launch grid kinda loses it's purpose, but the rest of the controls work in the same way. It's nice to be able to mix in Arrangement without having to switch to session view like I used to. Also makes me use my ears more.

I barely use the grid in an instrumental sort of way at the moment, and I feel like this has still helped with mixing and interacting with Ableton. The device controller is awesome and EQing stuff is much simpler. It was difficult to get my MIDI controllers to allow me to EQ more than one track at a time, so this really helped with that.

Plavski posted:

Not out the box, although it will be a common feature once Max for Live launches.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
question: using 5.1, i know this is possible since i've done it before but am stymied now. how do i export the session to a collected file of samples/arrangement to send to someone else?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just got my M-Audio Axiom 49 as an upgrade from my Oxygen8 in the mail today. Does anyone know where I can download Live templates that make good use of it. Failing that, anyone want to just make recommendations on how to get the most out of a decent MIDI controller? Usually I just assign knobs and stuff as I go, but I feel like I'm missing something because it seems like people have much more advanced uses for their controllers and don't have to spend a ton of time on each new project setting them up.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

prom candy posted:

I just got my M-Audio Axiom 49 as an upgrade from my Oxygen8 in the mail today. Does anyone know where I can download Live templates that make good use of it. Failing that, anyone want to just make recommendations on how to get the most out of a decent MIDI controller? Usually I just assign knobs and stuff as I go, but I feel like I'm missing something because it seems like people have much more advanced uses for their controllers and don't have to spend a ton of time on each new project setting them up.
Have you considered making a template? Start a new project, spend the time to set up your controller, and then save it as "template". Then just open that project when you start something new and save it under a new name right away. You don't have to restrict the template to just MIDI stuff, either. You can set up any bussing you usually do, put a limiter on the master channel, or set up racks that you commonly use. Stuff like that.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Yoozer posted:

I use it pretty much only in Session view, and if I were to record something for the arrangement view I'd do the master record and go at it like a session, then go in with my mouse in arrangement and fix anything I hosed up. But my knowledge of ableton is pretty shallow considering how deep Live can be, I'm sure someone with your knowledge could really maximize the potential. Since you can assign the knobs/pads I'm sure you could customize it to be super useful for arrangement view, though I don't know what you're doing in arrangement so...

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

prom candy posted:

It's easy as hell - you just go up in the top right and click the little midi button, click the one you want to assign, and move the slider around. I'm doing this out of my head without the program in front of me so there might be a step I'm missing but it's seriously like 1 - 2 step process to assign anything to any control.

I usually assign stuff as I need it so I don't waste all my controllers on "Aftertouch Panning" or something I will never use.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Plavski posted:

Speaking of which, what does everyone here use as a control surface for Ableton?

Mostly a PCR-500 in my home studio, a Trigger Finger in the field with my laptop.

I also have a BCR2000, which I like a lot, though I hardly ever use since I don't have the desk space for it at home, and it's kind of pain that it needs its own AC power.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

thunderthief posted:

It's easy as hell - you just go up in the top right and click the little midi button, click the one you want to assign, and move the slider around. I'm doing this out of my head without the program in front of me so there might be a step I'm missing but it's seriously like 1 - 2 step process to assign anything to any control.

I usually assign stuff as I need it so I don't waste all my controllers on "Aftertouch Panning" or something I will never use.
You didn't understand his question.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

thunderthief posted:

Ctrl+M is the keyboard shortcut too which is good for speedy settings changes.

Which reminds me... I've been trying to setup my regular QWERTY keyboard as a loop triggering one but when I assign the keys, only a few work. The assigns are fine, but hitting the keys only works on a couple of them, if you know what I mean. Hitting Q is fine and triggers the clip, but hitting W doesn't triugger the clip at that position, despite the assigning being fine.

I was thinking it was some kind of default hotkey issue, but I can't find any references to the standard keys without a modifier used as a shortcut.

Anyone got any clues/experience with this?

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

You didn't understand his question.

I definitely do understand the question, but my answer is that I think templates assign alot of useless poo poo so I just assign everything myself and choose not to use templates.

This goes for all the programs I use - I used them at first but I quickly got sick of changing 90% of the defaults anyhow.

edit: this doesn't make me "correct" it's just how I choose to use the software

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 5, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
People's workflow habits are different enough that it probably makes sense to build your templates from scratch (that's always been the case for me anyway), but by all means use them. A well thought-out project template will save you hours in the long run, hours during which you're all excited to start creating something rather than just reassigning the same MIDI mappings yet again.

I know that pretty much every track I record is going to involve a drum plugin, and that I'll want separate tracks for kick, snare, hats, and other, and that I will want dedicated faders for each, and an EQ + compressor on the kick track. If I'm recording a rock song, I know I'll want a bass track loaded with one of Guitar Rig's bass amp presets. If I'm laying down a techno/acid type song, I know I'll probably want knobs preassigned to control the cutoff/resonance/decay for the bass synth's filter, and I'll want a heavy tempo synced delay on one of the effect sends.

The more you use your software (any software), look for things that you're doing over and over again and spend a while putting together half a dozen or so pretty comprehensive templates, resize everything so it looks good, LABEL THINGS ahead of time, etc.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Plavski posted:

Which reminds me... I've been trying to setup my regular QWERTY keyboard as a loop triggering one but when I assign the keys, only a few work.
You have to turn off the qwerty keyboard->midi notes thing. I forget how to do it but I think the icon is a like 3 keys on a piano/keyboard.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

ManoliIsFat posted:

You have to turn off the qwerty keyboard->midi notes thing. I forget how to do it but I think the icon is a like 3 keys on a piano/keyboard.
Ah perfect, I knew I'd forgotten something simple. Thanks!

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Ok so I have a problem that perhaps one of you can help me with. I unfortunately bought Logic Studio 9 with the impression that "full Rewire support" meant that Logic Pro and Mainstage 2 could be slaved to Ableton Live like Reason can be. Apparently, that is not true, and you can only use mainstage 2 and logic as a rewire master, which unfortunately means that my hopes of slaving Logic's drum machine Ultrabeat to Live's clock. However, Mainstage a pretty flexible program, so i think I will be able to trick it, if I can do a certainly something in Live.

tldr: I need Live to be able to send some kind of MIDI message to Mainstage to indicate the kind of rapid changes in tempo that are able to be achieved through renaming the scenes to their respective tempo and time signatures. Can you make a MIDI out that sends that kind of data?

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

h_double posted:

:bravo2:

See, I never thought of it in that way. That's a dope use for templates, and I could see using it almost like project macros where you just load up the "drums for making breakbeats" project, or something.

But I also make the devil's music that's usually a James Brown break with a sped up Billy Holiday sample over it and sell it for half a mil so what do I know.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.

Ben and Stew posted:

Ok so I have a problem that perhaps one of you can help me with. I unfortunately bought Logic Studio 9 with the impression that "full Rewire support" meant that Logic Pro and Mainstage 2 could be slaved to Ableton Live like Reason can be. Apparently, that is not true, and you can only use mainstage 2 and logic as a rewire master, which unfortunately means that my hopes of slaving Logic's drum machine Ultrabeat to Live's clock. However, Mainstage a pretty flexible program, so i think I will be able to trick it, if I can do a certainly something in Live.

tldr: I need Live to be able to send some kind of MIDI message to Mainstage to indicate the kind of rapid changes in tempo that are able to be achieved through renaming the scenes to their respective tempo and time signatures. Can you make a MIDI out that sends that kind of data?

Would the IAC Bus be able to do this? you configure it in audio midi settings on the mac. I think it functions as a virtual midi cable between programs. Not sure about the clock, though. Hmmm.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
I'm looking for a relatively easy way to set up a chopped and screwed type of effect. I'm looking for something I can do in a live setup. Obviously I need to slow the tempo down but what type of effects does live have that will let me repeat the last segment or skip ahead slightly?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Lewk posted:

Would the IAC Bus be able to do this? you configure it in audio midi settings on the mac. I think it functions as a virtual midi cable between programs. Not sure about the clock, though. Hmmm.

Live can do MIDI sync via either MIDI Clock (master or slave) or MIDI Timecode (MTC) (slave only) protocols; check the "Synchronizing via MIDI" section in the Live manual. I've found MIDI sync can be a pain in the rear end to get set up, but I've only really used it between hardware devices (not with a virtual MIDI cable situation) but it's worth a try.

SkandalousPanda posted:

I'm looking for a relatively easy way to set up a chopped and screwed type of effect. I'm looking for something I can do in a live setup. Obviously I need to slow the tempo down but what type of effects does live have that will let me repeat the last segment or skip ahead slightly?

Check out Live's builtin Beat Repeat effect; it is pretty powerful although I found it a little confusing at first so you might want to go look up some tutorials on youtube or something.

The dbBlue Glitch VST can also do some sample chop effects; it is free and pretty cool, although it has been used to death so please at least spend some time tweaking the presets.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

SkandalousPanda posted:

Double time the sample bpm to slow it down, put a beat repeat on that channel, put it in [ins.] mode, put chance to 0%, put the grid to 1/4, assign the repeat button to a key.

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002
This is probably the dumbest question in the universe: what exactly is meant by a "transport"? When someone refers to transport automation, what does that mean?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

7.62WorldOrder posted:

This is probably the dumbest question in the universe: what exactly is meant by a "transport"? When someone refers to transport automation, what does that mean?

I could be wrong but I think that means the main stop, pause, play, record-enable buttons.

h_double posted:

Template Stuff

That sounds like good advice. I'm still just cutting my teeth on Live (and more serious music production in general) so I think I'll try to figure this out organically. That being said there is a LivePack for the Axiom series, and it's pretty decent.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

prom candy posted:

I could be wrong but I think that means the main stop, pause, play, record-enable buttons.

Correct. I'm pretty sure the term is a holdover from the days of tape, when it referred to the mechanism to move the tape (and record/play heads) around, and the associated controls.

h_double fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 6, 2009

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

h_double posted:

Check out Live's builtin Beat Repeat effect; it is pretty powerful although I found it a little confusing at first so you might want to go look up some tutorials on youtube or something.

The dbBlue Glitch VST can also do some sample chop effects; it is free and pretty cool, although it has been used to death so please at least spend some time tweaking the presets.

These are both ill. If you want it tripped out you might also appreciate Supertrigga, but it is less controllable.

Some of the reverse and beat repeat functions yield dope results, especially if you let the loop play, record the output and just use the especially interesting bits.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

SkandalousPanda posted:

This might not be exactly what you want, but I've been having hours of fun with this over the last couple of days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_n3LSqb0wU

Stick it on your master bus to make the whole track hitch and warp, it's great.

For those who don't want to watch the video, you put an auto filter and simple delay in your chain, set the envelope to be a left to right line, assign a midi controller to handle the frequency of the auto filter and the frequency and dry/wet of the delay. This is simple to do, but sounds pretty funky. Use a grain delay with a maxed out freq to get some cool glitchy effects on the hold too.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 6, 2009

Lewk
May 22, 2001

h_double posted:

Live can do MIDI sync via either MIDI Clock (master or slave) or MIDI Timecode (MTC) (slave only) protocols; check the "Synchronizing via MIDI" section in the Live manual. I've found MIDI sync can be a pain in the rear end to get set up, but I've only really used it between hardware devices (not with a virtual MIDI cable situation) but it's worth a try.

I've been alright with the sync so far, I run an ensemble with three laptops all synced to one master laptop, it's pretty groovy. But It would be pretty cool for mainstage to run as a rewire slave, just to be able to use the logic synths with the ableton front end, for composing. ES2 in Live...mMmmmmMMmMm.....

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Glitch is awesome, nice recommendation!

Assign too many knobs to be automated though and it crashes Ableton :(

Plavski fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 6, 2009

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Back on the topic of setting up your midi controllers, does anyone know if there's a way to set it up so that a knob on my axiom controls a specific parameter of a device only when that device is active/selected? Even if I could assign things on a track by track basis that would be good.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
HOW THE gently caress DO I EXPORT A SET WITH SAMPLES, ETC? ANSWER, ONE OF YOU loving KNOWS HOW

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Hey man cool your jets. Do you mean export a set so your drum samples and poo poo are all collected?

Just find the option for "save as self-contained set" or whatever it's called.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

File -> Collect All and Save.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

maffew buildings posted:

HOW THE gently caress DO I EXPORT A SET WITH SAMPLES, ETC? ANSWER, ONE OF YOU loving KNOWS HOW

what a thoroughly delightful chap.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

This might be a simple problem but I've never encountered it before: I'm trying to freeze a track with a vst effect on it and it keeps setting the automation to zero. My clip has automation in it and I thought freeze was supposed to keep all the automation intact?

Anyone know how to stop it from screwing with my automation?

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Plavski posted:

This might be a simple problem but I've never encountered it before: I'm trying to freeze a track with a vst effect on it and it keeps setting the automation to zero. My clip has automation in it and I thought freeze was supposed to keep all the automation intact?

Anyone know how to stop it from screwing with my automation?

I think once you record, or write the automation to it you have to disable recording but still allow reading for that particular sub-track (I might be thinking of Cubase however). Can you see the envelope and confirm it is in fact receiving your automation data and storing it?

You might also try manually drawing in an automation point at the beginning and end that will denote that everything in b/w is automated. Sometimes programs need to bump into a point before it starts picking up on the automation.

Both of these solutions are pulled out of my rear end and will need to be verified when I'm not sneaking on here between emails at work :(

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

thunderthief posted:

I think once you record, or write the automation to it you have to disable recording but still allow reading for that particular sub-track (I might be thinking of Cubase however). Can you see the envelope and confirm it is in fact receiving your automation data and storing it?

You might also try manually drawing in an automation point at the beginning and end that will denote that everything in b/w is automated. Sometimes programs need to bump into a point before it starts picking up on the automation.

Both of these solutions are pulled out of my rear end and will need to be verified when I'm not sneaking on here between emails at work :(
Playing back the clip plays my automation fine, the envelope works perfectly. It's just that when I go to freeze it, it sets the control to zero and so automation won't affect it. Nothing I do will let it stay at its original place so automation can be applied. It's very weird.

The automation control will be set at max and when the clip is played back you see the orange dot of the automation moving along with the envelope. When you freeze it however the control switches instantly to zero and so none of the automation is heard.

This might be a problem with Glitch methinks. Christ knows when we'll get a new version though, I might just have to manually record the loop outside of ableton.

Update: Well, it seems that hitting Stop three times fucks up the automation too, resetting all the parameters to zero. Great, automation is totally hosed in it.

Are there any other properly working plugins with a similar feature set? I played with Lucifer a bit on a demo, but it didn't quite do it as intuitively as Glitch does.

Update the second: Automation or no, Glitch won't freeze. Goddamn it.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 6, 2009

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Here's a workaround, it's fairly bootleg but it should get you where you want to go.

Create a new audio track, set the AUDIO IN to be whatever track you're having trouble with, arm it to record, and then play the glitch track while recording in a clip on the new audio track. It'll record in real time to a clip, which you can then just drag into the arrangement view since it'll be the exact same audio as as if you were playing the original track realtime. You'll have to do this every time you make changes but if you're done and just want to render it out then this should work.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

stun runner posted:

Here's a workaround, it's fairly bootleg but it should get you where you want to go.

Create a new audio track, set the AUDIO IN to be whatever track you're having trouble with, arm it to record, and then play the glitch track while recording in a clip on the new audio track. It'll record in real time to a clip, which you can then just drag into the arrangement view since it'll be the exact same audio as as if you were playing the original track realtime. You'll have to do this every time you make changes but if you're done and just want to render it out then this should work.
That worked great, thanks!

I'm gonna try and find another less buggy fx vst though but until I do, this method should serve me well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Apparently Glitch is aptly named.