Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Well the point of Ableton is to match all the clips you have to the master tempo of your project and it does that via timestretching. The timestretching sounds pretty good (especially in Live 8) most of the time, unless you're trying to get a complex audio clip from 135bpm down to 80 or something. If you post a little more about what your process is maybe I can help you figure out what the deal is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I'm gonna post some cool tips that people may or may not know, and maybe you guys can do the same and we'll all learn something.

Resampling / recording straight from an internal track to another track is really helpful and very very easy to do.

See where it says Audio From on the audio tracks? Click that and you can choose to record from any individual track, or do resampling which records the master output, straight to a new clip. This is awesome if you have a softsynth and want to cut it up like an audio clip, just record it straight into a new clip and chop that up. There are a lot of things you can do with this, like if you're preparing for a live show you can play your hi hat track and your cowbell track and resample them into one combined audio clip in about a half-second without having to do too much work or go into another program.

~

Also, if you have an external synth or use Reason rewired into Ableton, there's a Live instrument called "External Instrument" that basically lets you use a hardware synth or a rewired Reason synth like a native Live instrument, MIDI roll and all. You still have to record to a separate audio track but this way is very simple and I didn't know about it until recently.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Couldn't you just automate the volume for the entire track or am I missing something?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Midi note C3 plays the sample at its normal pitch in simpler, I haven't used sampler but I assume it's the same.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Yeah I'm a hugeeee Ableton fanboy but really, any DAW will work for you. You can get demos of all of them so really just try them out, do tutorials, and figure out which one suits you and the way you want to make music best. Logic isn't "better for electronic music" and neither is Ableton unless you're more comfortable with one of them.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Mannex posted:

today I made a bunch of live clips for every chord in the C major and C minor keys.

now to come up with songs I just randomly click buttons. Key change? Just turn this knob over here!

thanks ableton! :iamafag:

post .als

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I just ordered my APC40 but it won't be here for a few weeks :[ I'm really excited to build a big set and just fucccccck around with it.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
What's the best way to get the old school analog vocoder freestyle robot voice in software? I can't really do it with Ableton's vocoder but I might be doing it wrong and/or not know some tricks that would make it sound better? Ideally it'd be with everything built into Ableton but I'm flexible.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I love you yoozer. I love yoo yoozer.

But yeah, I'm looking for something as close to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfXKkNo7YZ8

as possible. I couldn't do it with the abletron vocoder, I'll give the demos of those two a shot, thanks for the recommendations. Any specific tips would be cool if you know 'em off the top of your head too.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Yeah, it's probably a problem with the automation you've recorded. It's kind of hard to diagnose without knowing a little more but double check the recorded automation tracks to make sure nothing weird is going on with them.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I've had an APC on order for months :( When everything's done I'm gonna use the APC, a Trigger Finger, and the third kaoss pad to control live.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Hey man cool your jets. Do you mean export a set so your drum samples and poo poo are all collected?

Just find the option for "save as self-contained set" or whatever it's called.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Here's a workaround, it's fairly bootleg but it should get you where you want to go.

Create a new audio track, set the AUDIO IN to be whatever track you're having trouble with, arm it to record, and then play the glitch track while recording in a clip on the new audio track. It'll record in real time to a clip, which you can then just drag into the arrangement view since it'll be the exact same audio as as if you were playing the original track realtime. You'll have to do this every time you make changes but if you're done and just want to render it out then this should work.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Reason's synths (maelstrom and thor, anyway) are actually really tight and sound great rewired directly into Ableton. Use the External Instrument thing and you can play MIDI clips in Ableton straight through Reason, it's awesome.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Haha my APC40 order finally went through today but my production computer died a few weeks ago :[ At least I can look at it I guess. It's been super interesting watching people figure out how to use it, and when Max for Live comes out it's going to be so loving amazing. Someone will upload a monome emulator within a day and I'll never leave my room.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Yeah, in choosing a DAW you should pick the one that feels best to you, since you can make pretty much all of them sound the same. I mean, Rusko still uses Acid.

e: I say "still" because I thought Acid wasn't supported anymore, but they still make it. Even so, it's a fairly uncommon choice for a DAW but if you know what you're doing you can use any of them and it'll sound good.

stun runner fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 14, 2009

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
What are some cool things to do with dummy clips in a live setting, for breakdowns and build-ups and other neat effects? I'm building a DJ template for myself based on the APC40 and (thanks to the guy who recommended it in another thread) I set it up so that with the crossfader all the way to the left it's a dry signal but on the right it's a separate track with effects and dummy clips.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Check this out, there's also a link to download the set:

http://www.vimeo.com/6993740

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Also a public beta for Max4Live and a release date/price. It comes out November 23rd and will be $300.

In other words I spend $300 to turn my APC into a monome and then I get all the max stuff on top of that. Good deal 8)

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
For APC dudes, it looks like there was a monome included in the M4L beta. I'm gonna try this in about an hour, but I thought you guys might wanna know.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=128316&hilit=monome+apc

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Go into Midi Sync in preferences, you might have to click those boxes under "sync" and "remote" until it works.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Might want to upgrade the ram but that's like $80, other than that it should be fine.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Yoozer posted:

If you haven't seen this yet, brace yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI

0_0 holy poo poo

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Yeah, don't, Live 8 has been unstable as gently caress on Snow Leopard. I had to reinstall them both at the same time so I didn't think about possible issues between them but it's been really horrible, like crashing multiple times a session. I think 8.1 may have fixed some of those issues, but so far 8 has crashed as many times in one week as versions 5, 6, and 7 crashed total. It hasn't happened while playing in front of other people, which is good, but it's kind of scary nonetheless.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Psychedelic posted:

Weird question -

If I have one big long audio track, and want to cut out a 20 second section in the middle of it, but keep the audio before and after that 20 second cut...how could I go about doing that?

drag into arrangement mode, ctrl - e to sever sections

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I love robotspeak :)

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Could try panning it to the right and routing it to an audio track with the utility device with stereo width set to 0?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
8] cool. Utility's a neat little thing, especially the stereo width function

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
The built in tutorials are really good, yeah. Youtube videos are cool. Also I think ableton.com has some full song files from legit producers and just digging around in those would be a good way to learn.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I wanna do that.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
so sick!

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I'm taking a Max4Live class in SF this month/next month, I'm pretty excited about it.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Yeah, at Robotspeak. That sounds pretty cool, I think I'll be around then :D

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Use Looper, it can match the set's tempo to what you recorded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Well without looper you're probably boned but I'm pretty sure looper does exactly what you're talking about.

- Hit record on Looper (with a footswitch probably)
- Play your guitar loop
- Hit the + or play button (with a footswitch)
- Live's master tempo is now synced up to the tempo of your song and you can trigger clips accordingly

The only way Ableton works is to have everything slaved to a master tempo, so if you're looking for non-synced recording it might not be the DAW you're looking for.