Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

Same.

Actually Live is better for VSTs because PT doesn't officially support VST.

But, you can get converters for VST>RTAS, and you can't use RTAS on anything else. So you could argue that PT has more functionality that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

SkandalousPanda posted:

How much is this APC 20 going to cost? I'm wondering if it's a better option than the launchpad which I was considering picking up soon.

In the UK it's only about £30 more than the Launchpad (£180).

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

On the one hand, new Live versions have been introduced at Winter NAMM (which happened last month) for a few years now, and they're still updating 8 with new stuff. But it's been on sale a few times recently, and 8 did come out a couple of years ago now, so it might be worth waiting until Summer NAMM to see.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Bear in mind that with sends-returns you've still got the original signal from the first track playing dry, if you want to replicate an insert effect as a send/return you can use the I-O section to just send the channel to the effects channel.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Siets posted:

I guess I'm kinda fuzzy on the difference between the two. I'll take a stab at it though. With send/return I have a dry track channel as well as the return track channel meaning that I'm putting my CPU through slightly more work to produce two audio streams, and with I/O I'm actually routing the audio output of one channel to another directly (is that right?) Is one method better than the other?

It's purely dependent on the sound you want. I'm wank at explaining so here's two examples:
http://tindeck.com/listen/eejv
This is the first example, you have your track channel sent to the send channel which has overdrive and delay. You can hear the original track using this method.

http://tindeck.com/listen/qpim
This is the second, where the original channel isn't being sent to the master, just the send channel. You can't hear the original track. This is the equivalent of just slapping an insert effect onto the channel.

You can (kind of? Crap at examples too I guess) hear the difference between the two, it's what you want in the sound. I doubt it affects CPU usage in anyway, I don't know how Live's audio engine works.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Popcorn posted:

Why the gently caress does Live keep resetting my VSTs to initial presets as I'm working? It's infuriating.

When I had this problem it was because in the clip settings, under notes, program wasn't set to none. Worth a shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

If you do need more text than locators you can use the Lessons feature, you have to edit externally but you can save them with your als file to view them with it.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct11/articles/live-tech-1011.htm