Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RivensBitch posted:

Yes, but as mentioned, protools and cubase offer a one-click solution for fading the edges of clips. Besides being a very quick way to create this edit, it also has the benefit of linking the fade to the clip, so if you drag the clip it follows.

Why not just use cubase or protools then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RivensBitch posted:

That's a possibility but exporting and converting large sessions is a pain, and ableton is so awesome I would rather find a way to work with it

Well its really not the best daw for doing audio type stuff like band recordings when you have options like cubase, logic or protools available. I mean, you can do it, but why make it harder on yourself.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Cleaner posted:

So yeah. I may turn my extra bedroom into a mini recording studio/work room. I'll have a couple grand to spend, BUT I am so on a limb here. I'll be doing mostly recoding and mixing. I'm used to PC but am capable with and planning to go with MAC. It seems everyone I know is always requesting to record with a ProTools rig, YET the online community is always raving about Ableton Live and how amazing it is. Although I'm probably going with ProTools, I've very curious how Ableton handles in comparison. I've tried it, but for strictly recording... I don't know.

If you're going mac then I'd say go for Logic really. Unless you really NEED protools because of people requesting it then there isn't really a need to use anything else on a mac, it handles audio far better than ableton while also doing electronic music better (and comes with a lot of quality synths and plug ins for nothing extra) as well as having a live performance mode.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oredun posted:

people say that live isnt the best for working with audio, and i just dont see that, at all. i can plug in my 16 channel interface, and record a whole band with no fuss, then go home and mix and master it with little effort. then, the next day, i can sample a record, get it quantized and chopped up into a breakbeat in about 15 minutes. then i can play a VST synth, record it to audio, and then do a bunch of crazy edits and chops and stutters.

like i said, never used another DAW, but i havnt found anything i cant do with live.

Yeah heres the point, you havn't used a DAW that handles audio better than Live because you havn't used any other DAWs. Its do able in Live, of course, but other DAWs are better for it due to workflow, ease of use with audio etc. Spend some time with getting to know something like Cubase or Logic Or ProTools and then do some semi serious band recordings and you'll see what people mean.