Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Each sample on the drums should have its own little chain right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I've used both and the MPD feels a lot nicer wheras the Korg feels sorta tacky and the first one I got had broke pads.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I bought a launchpad on a payday whim and I have to say I think I'm kinda underwhelmed with it. Its pretty as gently caress but it doesent really do much I couldnt already have done fairly efficiently with keyboard shortcuts. Less efficiently even having to jump to a new page to adjust an effect/mixer level rather than just dragging the knob in Ableton.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

How would I get a delay that comes in on the left channel, but the track itself is panned right?

I want a lead in the right channel to bounce off in the left, but when you pan the track right, it pans the whole thing including delays.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Thanks, effects rack looks simpler.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ok heres another potentially dumb question that will hopefully be answered in 2 minutes: how can you record a new clip over an old clip, but keep the old clips automation settings?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I found a workaround for what I want to do, basically I had a lead guitar track that was bouncing around in volume and panning throughout the track and I wanted to change some parts. I ended up just using the "only record in this section" thing to do it in sections, so as long as I didnt record through and breakpoints I could keep the automation more or less intact.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Man I love this program so much. I tried logic for a while and that just sounded better in some indefinable way, but Ableton knocks it on its rear end for songwriting. (Also my mac died)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ableton update! we have an amp simulator now! (plus other stuff I dont care about)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I use ableton mainly for guitar music but I already use Guitar Rig, so its just a nice extra.

Plus I have a demo of amplitube 3 which for some reason forgot it was a demo and still says "30 days of evaluation left" every time I log in.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Argh Ive been using ableton for months because of the potential for putting down songwriting ideas in a non liniar way and I cant believe I only just realised this: If you've just composed an awesome section, but you want to carry your song in a different direction, you can just consolidate the whole thing in the arangement view, drag it over to clip view, dump it there labeled "verse or something I dont know" and leave it there. Nice clean arrangement view to plot out your next idea.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 4, 2010

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Computer Jones posted:

It blew my mind when I first saw that you could unfold the Drum Rack in the mixer and get at all the channels individually :monocle:

Drum rack is great and I'm an idiot for not using it sooner

(I only just discovered the auto-chop-sample to pads on drum rack feature)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dr Rotcod posted:

The idea behind that is to reduce the chance of everything crashing. There would be plugins for keyboards, NI Battery, and NI Guitar Rig all running at the same time and switching through patches. Would one laptop be able to handle all of that? Is three laptops even trickier possibly?

Is guitar rig essential? Hypothetically if you didnt need automated patch switching you could do away with it and use a traditional guitar setup. OR, if you had an external amp sim (pod pro, axeFX) ableton could just do the switching for that.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm getting persistent crashes with bigwigs demo.

Been thinking about buying live but I'm wondering if the release of bigwig will drive the price down some.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Griff Lee posted:

Why is this in the Ableton thread

Because it's a DAW that's designed with a very similar feature set to ableton.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Someone show me a cool song theyve made using abletons vocoder because I have yet to work out how to use it practically.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Radiapathy posted:

I recorded a song that uses Waldorf's Vocoder, but I've used the Live one before and it works mostly the same. Are you having trouble getting it to do what you want, or are you just looking for practical uses?

Practical uses, I've heard you can do funky things with it beyond on vocals but I have no idea what.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 7, 2014

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

punishedkissinger posted:

what is comping?

Multiple takes on the same track. So you can say, record a vocal track 5 times and then edit together a non lovely take from the sections of your lovely takes.

Logic has had it for ages, doing it in live 10 requires making multiple tracks. Its a pretty big deal if you want to use Live as a recording environment and not just a sequencer.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 13, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I use session mode for trying drums, you can play [e; “pkk look at”- autocorrect typo but I’m keeping it because it’s bizarre ] session mode over your arrangement if there’s just one particular part you want to try a new part for, and then return to the original arrangement.

Best tip with arranging in logic is to use the loop brackets at the top to highlight sections for editing, duplicating, cutting, deleting, since when used that way it shifts the whole arrangement around it. If you wanted to bring an arrangement from arrangement view into a bunch of loops for session view best way to do it would be to use the brackets to cut and consolidate sections of the track into loopsble sections of the same length. Then click and drag them all at once.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 8, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

With comping live pretty much has everything needed to produce and never take a track into another DAW EXCEPT pitch correction. Now I’ve found Logics I keep having to use both DAWs.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

To use comping in live 11 do you have to loop the take using the loop function? It seems that way from tutorials but I’d like to, yknow, have a smoke break or something in between takes.

e; I broke and bought it and yeah of course you can, it would be pretty dumb if you couldn't.

e; e; god its so good that my sessions now aren't 80 duplicate tracks of takes I can't bear to throw away.

e; also that templates now allow you to take individual tracks from the template. So if you have a great drum bus setup in your template you can just drag drop it from the old project into your new project.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

You could try MeldaProduction plugins. I downloaded their free autopitch and it comes with a whole bunch of optional extra generic ones I don't need.