Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

prom candy posted:

I noticed I get considerable delay when using real instruments on Live. Is there anything I can do about this or is it a case of "you have a revision A Macbook, you need a macbook pro"?

Are you using ASIO? Also try disabling anything not necessary, even sometimes everything but a metronome while you're recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Popcorn posted:

This is as far as I get. I've selected the folder with the EZDrummer library-- it's got its own little black-and-white file icon as well, so I presume that's where it should be pointing-- but I see no EZdrummer listed in the plugins panel. :( Any ideas? Should I take a screenshot maybe? I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid.

I know the software works because I got it running in Cubase.

Iirc the ezdrummer library will be in a separate place from the dll that you need to direct it. Likely places to check would be c:\program files\vstplugins or c:\program files\steinberg\vstplugins. That or just do a find file for the dlls created on the day you installed.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Afro Thunder posted:

Hey I've been using the Ableton Live Suite 8 demo for a bit now, and I've been mostly using online tutorials to learn and what not. I know there are some lessons that are included with it but whenever I open them they are just Live Sets, and don't really teach me anything other then give me examples. Is this what is it supposed to be or am I just screwing things up?

The live sets go with tutorials. Go to the View menu and go to Help View, then look for the tutorials there.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

h_double posted:

I've found a better/more reliable way (if you plan on sharing the project with others), is:

- View -> File Manager
- Manage Project
- Create Live Pack

True, but more steps are involved.
- View -> File Manager
- Manage Set first!
- Collect external files, if any
- Then go up one level, manage project, and do the same thing.
- Then finally, create live pack

I've had problems in the past and this has been the method thats had a 100% success rate for me.

mezzir fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 8, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

squidgee posted:

The Maelstrom is seriously awesome. I never recognized how great it was until recently, but drat does the distortion on it sound neat. It can make some really cool sounds.

EDIT: Also I'm totally falling in love with Analog after spending some time with it trying to recreate synth sounds. You can do a lot with just it and the Ableton effects:

Shittttt that sounds phat

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

Got a maybe dumb question about Rewire. I rewire reason into ableton, but at the moment can only record the audio from reason's synths. I use reason's sequencer (which i hate) and just have audio tracks in ableton for the output. Is there any way I can have a midi track in ableton, that controls the reason synth?

Don't have it handy but try creating a new midi track in ableton once you have it all set up, and in the i/o settings under midi out select reason or rewire or something, and iirc the grayed out box below it should go active and you can select synths that are open in reason.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Did you check where the cue starts?
The whole thing imports for me but it'll create warp markers and try to start the clip like 3 seconds in. Barring that, I don't know really.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

One small thing to add that was something that took me way too long to really integrate into my work flow (kinda like ctrl-d for web browsing): control-click and drag. If you have a copy of one thing in the session view and want another to chop, hold control and click and drag to the slot below it and bam, new copy.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

TylerK posted:

I have some questions regarding cleaning up a set.

I record directly into arrangement view one track at a time. Sometimes if I gently caress up in the middle of a track, I'll drag the end of the clip to the left to cut it off and then resume recording into a new clip from that point onward. I've noticed that if I double click on the first clip, it still retains all of the original take, gently caress up and all. Hitting Ctrl + J consolidates it so that everything after the cutoff is no longer part of the clip, but what if I have a file full of these clips that need to be consolidated? Do I have to manually do it for each clip, or is there some way to do it automatically for all clips that I have in the arrangement?

Edit: Saw some stuff about the "manage set" thing. Would that be what I want to do? I'd really like to free up some space and get rid of anything that I'm not using.

Select everything and hit ctrl-j?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

k0konutz posted:

You guys are awesome, I'm glad there's excellent support for Ableton here.

If I have a loop that has a couple pick-up notes beforehand, how do I launch it so that it plays the pickup at the appropriate time and then when it loops back, replays from 1.1.1?
Current work around: make clip with pickup note only, launch it at the right time and then launch the main loop?

Set the loop from for instance 25.1.1 to 27.1.1, but have the little stand alone flag looking thing wherever you want the pickup from

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Lewk posted:

Ok, here's one.

So I want to do a rhythmic displacement thing, where you have say a piano riff going on it's own, then the drums kick in, but beat one is not where the ear has established it to be with the piano playing on it's own. Thus creating a weird but cool groove thing.

In a trad sequencer I would simply do this by chopping up the midi region, getting rid of certain bit, then playing it, and in kicks the beat. I can do it the same way in the arrange page. But i'd like to get the clips just to do it automatically. Is there a way to have, for example, a bar and a half, play the first half bar then loop round the whole bar, as if that beat (say 3) is actually beat 1?

I wish that made sense. I've got a 1st class degree in music majoring in bloody composition and music technology and I can't for the life of me explain what I mean properly! Perhaps it's time for bed.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about but in a midi clip there's the brackets for the beginning and end of the loop, then also flags for the where the clip starts, and you can drag the beginning one a bar and a half before the loop starts, or just have it start halfway through the loop or w/e.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

h_double posted:

- Can't record automation data into clips (Ableton claims this would require a pretty fundamental redesign of the program and is unlikely to happen anytime soon)

Wait what?
Must be confusing my terminology cause I swear you can do that.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

rustyw posted:

You need to return to arrangement (button at the top with three horizontal lines, red when you've made changes that differ from your arrangement view), or maybe you deleted the Auto Filter you had automated.

If you touch a knob at all it'll basically go into manual override mode and ignore automation you've scripted in favor of what you're doing with it. Hit f10 to stop everything playing in session view and only play stuff dictated in Arrangement view mode (individual clips etc will stop as well in favor of whats on the timeline for that channel).

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

colonp posted:

Live LE to Suite is €449. Live LE to Live 8 is €229 and Live 8 to Suite is €189. So going the last route is €30 cheaper ($40?).

I'm cheap :D

How do I make Triplets when editing a midi clip?

Right click inside the grid and it'll bring up the grid quantize settings, near the bottom there's one that should say 'triplet grid' or something of the sort.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

k0konutz posted:

How does Live manage files?
In a matter of a few weeks, I've gone from having 40 gigs on my hard drive available to 6.
All my source clips are on my external hard drive. I haven't done much work at all on my laptop's hard drive.

Options -> Preferences, then the file/folder tab
1/3 of the way down, there's a maximum cache size thats off by default, but you can set it to whatever, or clean up stuff that isn't used.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

No. 9 posted:

I'm coming to Live from Cubase, how do I get a drum map editor in the MIDI instead of a keyboard?

For triggering samples you'll load in? Cause a drum rack would work for that if I'm getting the question.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

No. 9 posted:

Yeah something like this. Using ezdrummer and Battery.

Oh. Then no. Just gotta remember which button's which. Though if you're using something like ezdrummer regularly you'll get the hang of it in no time, although ezdrummer and addictive drums use different maps which is really god drat annoying. I can pretty much play drums with addictive drums and a midi keyboard but am hopeless with another map.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

chief touching you posted:

Picked up some new gear to enhance my Ableton live experience this week - some KRK Rockit 6's, an M-Audio Axiom Pro 49, and the new U-He ACE virtual modular synth

Let us know how ACE is, cause holy gently caress I loving love zebra

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Yoozer posted:

If you haven't seen this yet, brace yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI

I mean yes that was incredible, but the rage against the machine sample was what absolutely blew my mind, I just didn't loving see that coming and sounding so got drat cool.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

FLX posted:

Got a quick super-newbie question here as well:

I tried to automate the "Device On" parameter of a reverb, which worked fine until I must have clicked something wrong and now "Device On" is greyed out and the automation doesn't do anything. What did I do and how can I revert it back?

hit f10
if you tweak a parameter that is automated, it'll basically override the automation and go into manual mode, hitting f10 will revert everything to whats scripted

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Anyone know what the best way to render each track individually in a song would be?
Want to try collaborating with a friend who uses protools and I figure sending him the stems is the easiest way but idk the best way to make them. I'm thinking maybe freezing each track then finding the freeze folder and just .rar'ing those?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Scattered Brain posted:

that would work as long as you're not using any send effects that you'd want to be included in the tracks

also I THINK freezing might render them before the tracks level faders, so the levels would be off when he puts them together, but I might be wrong about that (and I guess maybe it's not a big deal anyway)

Aw gently caress true I got a few sends in here :(. Anyone got any ideas?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

pennywisdom posted:

Not the pickups, now I'm trying it in a different scene to see if it will work. It seems to only happen when I hit record, I can jam all day and it sounds fine.

In the meantime, you can hear what it sounds like right when the lead guitar comes in -

Huh. Any way you could just post the project up?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

huh
every time i export, it only exports like 1/3 of the whole wave
i'm opening it up in audition to convert and its like 1/3 of it there, then silence (though the center line is red and the db meter is off the charts)
renders to different times each time too, first time got almost halfway, others as short as 1/4
any ideas anyone?

edit: after half an hour, apparently publicly complaining about it did the trick, exported no problem! :woop:

mezzir fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 11, 2010

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

thArf posted:

Who here is in massachusetts because I'm going to be playing in worcester soon and all the goons should come out. Trust me it will be a delicious set.

Edit - wrong thread but I will probably be performing with ableton

Where/when?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

This has been bugging me for a while, though not to the point where I research how to work it out, just to where I work around it. Ableton will only recognize my midi keyboards if they are on when live is opened initially. Is there any way, with live open, to plug in/turn on a keyboard and have it work without having to restart ableton?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Might be interested, and I'm on 8.1

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

squidgee posted:

8.1 is a free upgrade. :confused:

I assume he's talking about from 7, 8.0 is still pretty new

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Plastic Snake posted:

He said he has 8.0.3 so it should be okay

Aah true, didn't see that was him on the earlier post. nvm then :)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

illcendiary posted:

I'm trying to beatmatch two songs that I know are within a similar tempo, but for whatever reason Ableton recognizes the second song as having half that tempo. What I'm saying is that one song is around 130 BPM, while the second song is just as quick, but is only recognized as having a 63 BPM tempo. Is there a way I can play with the time signatures so that I can beatmatch the two at around 130-132 BPM?

Right under where it displays the clip's bpm, it should have two buttons, (:2) and (*2), which multiply and divide the bpm by two, should do the trick :)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Figured I'd bump this thread since I've got a sweet new trick. I like nondestructive editing when possible, but usually its just easiest to bounce a midi track, import it as a .wav and cut it up that way. However, if you're not gonna be moving anything, just basically modulating the on/off switch, a much much more convienent way of doing that rather than literally modulating the on/off switch (I have done this before, its a pain) is to instead put a gate on the track in question, and sidechain said gate to a muted synth of any sort (operator here). This way I can just edit the midi track for that operator track as a way of editing the audio.

Click here for the full 1448x900 image.

See the track i'm posting as we speak in the electronic music thread for the example of this sound. Yeah its nothing like ground-breaking but still its definitely something worth knowing your way around imo cause its just a way of thinking about things in ableton that could definitely come in handy.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

unixbeard posted:

I want to make some mixes of ambient/downtempo stuff I have. I'm having a problem because the tracks have long periods where there is no beat, and it seems to confuse the beat detection and bugger up warping. The tempos between tracks vary quite a bit, from say 65 bpm to 80 bpm but you dont really notice cause theres 5 minutes of ambience in between anything resembling a rhythm.

do you think its best to just turn off warping? i used to do mixes with decks and i was hoping to use audio effects synced to bpm. maybe i just need to set warp markers manually
Yeah go through and set the warp markers in advance. If it was something made electronically / to a click track with a steady tempo throughout all you need is one at the beginning and at the end though and you're good

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Quidnose posted:

K, here's a weird question. (Maybe.)

I have a loop that, sound wise, when it plays at 120BPM, it sounds like it's 180BPM in terms of the way the waves vibrate. I want to lay some beats over this loop at 180BPM, but when I toss the loop into a 180BPM piece, since it's set at 120BPM it speeds up and then I can't get them to sync up correctly.

Here is the loop and the first beat I want to lay over it:

120BPM loop: http://www.theinternetisalright.com/phatloop.mp3

180BPM beat: http://www.theinternetisalright.com/breakbeat.mp3

How do I marry the two of these together so that they fit together? In a standard wav editor, they sound correct:

http://www.theinternetisalright.com/phatties.mp3

Is there any hope for me or am I doing this song in Audacity? :v:
I think your problem may be that phatloop.mp3 isn't 120bpm, its 90bpm.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Generally I've been able to figure drat near everything out on my own but this I truly can't figure out. All I want to do it set up a channel in ableton that grabs whatever is being played elsewhere in my computer. Basically the same poo poo that Windows XP could do in its sleep with the 'Stereo Mix' thingie. Problem is that I have a bizarro audio interface that was late to the windows 7 game anyways so no support from them so I'm left to workarounds, and I really have no ideas left :(
Anyone?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Counterlogic posted:

mezzir, for a year I have delved and researched far more time and found no way to do this. ASIO4All seemed like it would allow me to combine cards into one virtual card sorta for Ableton to interact with but alas this has never actually worked in practice, maybe there's a reason but I've unfortunately given up on doing this altogether and just suck it up and pull out audacity and export the wav and bring it into Ableton (far from ideal for me personally but I know not what else to do, not sure there is a way on Windows at least, fairly sure Core Audio on Mac will allow this sort of thing though).

Bah yeah I can do it easy if its not in real time. Hah the thing I wanted to do earlier that prompted this was fooling aroudn with audio from itunes trying to get sample ideas, so I had my two keyboards set up, one with drums (Kick snare hat, and another kick drum that the itunes audio would be sidechained against) and then several effects to use live, to basically just gently caress around with audio that way without having to click on a song, buffer, and not click anywhere while I do it :I.

God damnit this has to be possible >:(

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

The way I usually use it so first save it into its own folder because I'll get lazy and have lots of unrelated sets in the same folder. After that, goto file management (view --> File Manager), then hit Manage Project, then check yes under anywhere where it says its using external samples, then Collect and Save at the bottom. Finally, the easiest way I've found is rather than move the folder, just hit Create Live Pack in the same area and it'll save a .alp, which you can move to the other computer as a single file. I start most projects on my laptop and finish them on my desktop so I do this on a daily basis and it works great.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Finally got my turntables hooked up, and the way I have them routed right now in order to play them I either need to set the direct/monitor input on my audio interface to monitor or just arm a track in ableton with the turntable inputs. The latter way allows me to put effects on the track thats playing live. Right now I have a drum rack with a bunch of loud rear end vengeance samples and sidechained the turntable input to the kick drum. Instant lovely techno remix of whatever I'm playing! (currently Fantasia soundtrack on vinyl, next up will probably be the soundtrack to Citizen Kane). <3 Live.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Three stupid questions about Live.

1. Is it possible to reduce the grid to a higher res than 1/32? For drums in particular I often want the 1/64 you get in most DAWs.

2. Likewise, is it possible to get things to snap to grid like in other DAWs?

3. I'm having a really frustrating problem this evening where my plugins have stopped opening their config menus when I click the wrench icon. Why the hell is this happening? Other sessions don't have the same problem, it's just this one session. I've tried copying the tracks into a new session but the same problem occurs. Is the window hiding somewhere?

3 has happened to me, but I'm weird and have my taskbar on the left. Occasionally, the plugin will decide to open waaaay to the left and I won't even be able to see it until I turn on taskbar auto-hide and let it hide itself.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Alright midi question, so I want to assign a note on my keyboard to unmute/mute a channel. By assigning the note to the mute button, it mutes on a single press, and unmutes on a second press (or unmutes, then mutes depending on the initial state). Is there any way so it changes only while the key is held, and changes back upon release? I know midi sends a trigger on hit and release so it should be possible, but I have no idea how :I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

mezzir posted:

Alright midi question, so I want to assign a note on my keyboard to unmute/mute a channel. By assigning the note to the mute button, it mutes on a single press, and unmutes on a second press (or unmutes, then mutes depending on the initial state). Is there any way so it changes only while the key is held, and changes back upon release? I know midi sends a trigger on hit and release so it should be possible, but I have no idea how :I

Alright so the original purpose of this was so that I could have like eight samples all playing but muted, and assign each key in an octave to unmute it only as long as the key was pressed. Found a stupid way to do this if anyone's interested: for each audio channel, I have a corresponding midi channel with an instrument rack with operator in it. With the instrument rack I set it so only a single note triggers each midi channel (first midi channel is C3, next is D3, etc), and each audio channel has a sidechained gate connected to its operator. Ghetto as hell, but it works. I feel like this is the kind of situation where if I knew Max/MSP I could whip up a patch so it didn't involve twice the number of channels and lots of hoops to jump through.