Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Computer Jones posted:

Apologies if there's a better thread for this. Anyway: I'm having trouble recording my synth using Ableton Live 6 and my M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Basically, all my recordings come out sounding like rear end, even though everything sounds fine when I record using Audacity. I've tried all sorts of combinations of buffer size/driver error compensation/sample rate but nothing seems to make it sound right. Any ideas?

Are you sure you're not doing something retarded when you record, like recording a mono signal using stereo inputs? Make sure you're selecting the right line in on your audio track in Live. Also, I dunno about your audio interface, but make sure Live's audio settings are set to the same sample rate and bit depth as the audiophile. Do not assume it is set to 24 bit 96khz just because it is called 2496.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Woo. Just got Live 8 and NI Komplete. I'm gonna be installing all day, Komplete is 12 drat DVDs!

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Kai was taken posted:

:siren: Deal :siren:

Buy Live 8 before August 31st and get Sampler for free. So, it's Live 8, Operator, and Sampler.

Not valid with educational discount unfortunately. But if you get the aforementioned NI Komplete for $399 (which includes Kontakt 3) you probably won't have much need for Sampler anyway.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

That's what keeps confusing me. I've tried drat near everything and nothing works except compressing and boosting the gain, and then it sounds like lovely pop music

What do you have loaded up on your master channel and how's your master volume meter looking? Does it dance, or just sit on the 0db mark more or less constantly, or go into the red?

Also make sure you export 24bit and not normalized.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Volvagia posted:

Sorry if this has been asked, but does anyone have any cool tricks on how to make Reason sound less 'Reasony' when rewired through ableton? I've tried lightly effecting the entire channel, but everyone I show my stuff to can still pick out that (relatively) cruddier Reason sound.

Yeah, just wire the instruments direct to the rewire channels, don't go through the mixer and absolutely don't pipe anything through any of the default reason mastering suites.

That being said, from what I can tell when people say "that sounds reasony" it's typically because you've barely tweaked a reason preset, and they recognise it.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

dookie posted:

I'm ready to make the switch from Reason to Ableton. But one thing that discourages me every time I attempted to do this was the drastically different workflow. I never use any of the step sequencers or patterns in reason, which I am assuming is a major thing in Ableton. Also in reason, I would just use the pencil tool, draw out a measure in the sequencer, double click that, and pencil in each note. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this in Ableton. This is probably the silliest of silly questions.

It's been said before and it'll be said again. Do the in-built tutorials. You'll probably find better ways to do everything later, but they take at most an hour to do all of the basic tutorials, and they get you started. Once you've got everything started you get a better idea of what all the buttons do and you can figure out better ways to do things for yourself.

I recently "switched" from Reason to Ableton, and it did take a couple of weeks to click, but it's really starting to work for me now 'cos I've found out how to do most of the things I need to be able to do properly.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

EMUpirate posted:

I'm having to take my Ableton project and move it from one computer to another. Are there any steps/shortcuts I can take besides the obvious, move everything over then hotswap the locations? My biggest fear is losing all of my warping settings, but I think that's just me feeling like I have to worry about something.

Earlier in this thread people were talking about packaging projects... but your warp settings should be saved into the project files, it's only the actual physical wave samples that you are at real risk of it losing track of.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Lysis posted:

A couple of Noob questions,
How do I get an effect on individual notes in the note editor? I think it has something to do with sends or returns I'm not sure.
Second, I recall reading/hearing something about an audio effect that stops the volume from going into the red (ie distortion) automatically in case of two bass sounds, for example, playing at the same time. What is?

Easy way is to make a duplicate of the track, add the effect, and delete all the notes you don't want to have the effect from the clips... and you'll probably want to delete that note from the clips in the original track.

A limiter. If you're a beginner it's probably easiest just to go into the Live devices browser, go into Audio Effect Rack->Mastering and drag the Mastering Suite onto the Master channel. It includes a limiter and a couple of other bits and pieces. The idea is not to just limit everything though, the idea is that the limiter should only ever have to knock a couple of dB off once in a while... so it's important to get your levels roughly right first or you run the risk of squashing the hell out of your track.

If it's a particular instrument you're having trouble with, apply compression to that track specifically, rather than having the limiter squash your whole track to rein it in..

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

This has probably been covered but I couldn't figure out how to do it or find the answer anywhere. How do I use autotunes with ableton live? I have both softwares installed and a USB mic. I just want to sound like t pain.

Make an audio track. Configure it to accept input from your USB mic. Add the autotune VST to it.

Set the humanize setting to zero and turn off.. whatever the button is that makes it aim for the nearest octave.

You have two options for telling it what notes to aim for, either draw it in to the graphical view in the autotune vst or make a MIDI track, point it at your audio channel, and tell autotune to respond to MIDI.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
As these guys have said. You need to have a folder somewhere in your computer that contains any and all VST plugins (usually .dll files) you have downloaded/purchased, and you need to point Ableton to this folder and tell it to scan it. It will identify them all, and they'll become available in the plugins list that shows up on your left when you click the little plug icon. You can then use them just as you would any other ableton instrument/effect, by dragging them onto an appropriate type of track.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

mezzir posted:

Did you check where the cue starts?
The whole thing imports for me but it'll create warp markers and try to start the clip like 3 seconds in. Barring that, I don't know really.

There's an option in the settings to turn off warping for imports. Ableton's always trying to be clever and warping audio tracks that are already correct.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Brekelefuw posted:

I am just learning Ableton now, and I am having trouble setting up a vocoder to work the way I want it.

I want to be able to sing in to my mic, and play chords on my keyboard (yamaha p-85) and have it come out like Imogen Heap. I have followed the tutorials I have found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JceAL1biSBo (2:14 in) and it works, but I want to be able to do this on the fly. I don't want to use pre-made wavs and midi.

I am sure it is something simple that I need to change to get this to work, but I am clueless.

I am using the TAL vocoder like in the video.

You need to have a carrier signal (often a software synth) routing its audio into the vocoder. You also need to have an audio track that your microphone is routed to, which is routing into the vocoder. As you've noticed from the video, you do that by panning one hard left and one hard right. Then you need to arm both these at the same time (ctrl-click the arm button to arm more than one track at a time, this is probably the important step you're missing). Now you just need to play synth (via your midi controller usually) and talk into mic at the same time.

Live 8 actually has a half decent built in vocoder which is a bit easier to setup - none of that panning crap.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

k0konutz posted:

How does Live manage files?
In a matter of a few weeks, I've gone from having 40 gigs on my hard drive available to 6.
All my source clips are on my external hard drive. I haven't done much work at all on my laptop's hard drive.

It does tend to save every take as a raw wav, I've noticed. But there is an option somewhere to get rid of them.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

moron posted:

Can someone tell me what sort of power adapter the APC40 has?

I'm off to Vancouver for vacation in a few weeks, and have found that I can pick one up over there for £120 less than I'd pay here in the UK. Of course, the only obstacle is the voltage difference over here. Is the APC40 one of those helpful devices which allows you to interchange UK/US power leads, or does it have an awkward power transformer thingy on the plug that I'd need to buy a converter for?

The APC40 comes with a switching power adapter that switches from 100V-240V. I am using one I imported from the US fine over here in Australia, just by using a $1 US to AUS plug adapter.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Vanmani 2 pages ago posted:

The APC40 comes with a switching power adapter that switches from 100V-240V. I am using one I imported from the US fine over here in Australia, just by using a $1 US to AUS plug adapter.

Should be fine unless they use a voltage outside of the range 100-240.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

problems

If you think it might be ableton 8.11, try installing one of the older versions and using that. Easy solution, since all ableton "updates" are just entire new copies of the software.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

EDIT: I also noticed today that the CoreAudio Manager shows 'Not Connected (HW Not Found)' as its status now.

EDIT 2: Wow, OK, uhh... Now it seems like I'm getting no audio out of the MBOX at all, regardless of what is connected/not connected to the computer. I'm considering re-installing ProTools with the CoreAudio drivers again, but I'm really worried that the box is just on its last legs. Obviously this is no longer a Live question, sorry for the wall-of-text.

Before you give up on it completely, try it with new/different Firewire/USB cables. They can get damaged and cause all kinds of random problems.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Psychedelic posted:

Weird question -

If I have one big long audio track, and want to cut out a 20 second section in the middle of it, but keep the audio before and after that 20 second cut...how could I go about doing that?

Select the middle section and hit delete? If your "20 second section" doesn't conform to actual bars you can throw in some warp markers and Ableton will happily enough select to those.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

pennywisdom posted:

Hm, I still seem to be getting clicks and pops all over these guitar tracks I'm trying to record. I was going guitar - guitar rig - ableton, but I was getting clicks and pops and some latency issues. I then went guitar - pod - ableton, which solved some of the latency issues, but still left me with the clicks and pops.

I increased the buffer size of my 2496, decreased the buffer size, frozen all the tracks I'm not using, even disabled some hardware to mess with some IRQ numbers, but I'm still having the same problem.

Any ideas?

You may just be experiencing digital clipping, try turning down the gain, or apply some mastering compression.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

FLX posted:

I just had a look and I couldn't find Rokit 8s, but two "KRK RP5 ROKIT G2" speakers for about € 300, which would be in my budget. I wouldn't need a separate subwoofer with those, right?

EDIT: I did just find a pair of Rokit 8 for €500. How big is the difference between those and the Rokit 5? And a pair of Rokit 6 is €400 ... choices :(

I ended up getting RP8s because I didn't want to have to spring for a sub as well. Although in many ways having RP5s or 6s with a sub is probably better... if nothing else, the RP8s are very large.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Popcorn posted:

I'm not completely sure how this works. Read some online tutorials but I'm having trouble picking out the piece of information I want. I want to do something pretty simple-- I want it to warp one section of the song to 120bpm and leave the rest alone. Putting markers either side of the section I want doesn't seem to do the trick. Help...

You're a bit confused I think. The tempo Ableton detects on the clip is one thing... it tells you what speed Ableton thinks the clip was originally at. The tempo that the song will be played back at is another thing altogether. The tempo that the song will be played back at is controlled by the tempo at the top left of Ableton, and you can record tempo changes into your set.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

KaosPV posted:

Also, on a related note, do your Ableton tracks when exported always sound softer than other mp3? I usually export them to listen to them in my mp3 player and when it switches from another track to my tunes, I always have to turn the volume up because they sound way softer. This is another reason why I wouldn't turn all the tracks down so the snare doesn't clip, because if it does sound soft without doing that, if I were to do that, it would sound really low.

Everything everyone else is saying is fine. But if you just want a quick and dirty "make my track sound normalised and punchy without clipping", just throw some mastering onto the master channel in Ableton. A limiter at the very least. Ableton includes some basic mastering racks in the Audio Effects Rack section, which are perfectly fine for a quick bounce in most cases, as long as you've got your levels set appropriately in the mix - otherwise the limiter will squash your track horribly.

Much less hassle than mastering externally.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

colonp posted:

Is there any way to look at the spectrum for the master while working with other channels?

Good question. But if there is a way, I'm not aware of it.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Mandals posted:

I'm thinking of migrating Ableton to a Windows box I'm building (I'm on a Mac now). Question: will this end in tears?

Theoretically, it should just be a matter of installing Ableton Suite on the new machine, and then copying over my projects. Has anyone done anything like this before and can they suggest a migration path?

Should be fine, you'll want to be doing Collect All and Save for all your projects though.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Mandals posted:

I dunno. I'm still thinking about it. My worry is that I'll switch back to Windows 7 and run into a bunch of issues, like the computer will be too loud, or my sound card won't work despite being up-to-date, etc.

Check that your audio interface supports win7 64 bit.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

BittyWings posted:

Do you have trouble with integrating Komplete with Live? I'm running 4 gig of RAM on a dual core Windows 7 machine and I get some MASSIVE (no pun) spikes when using NI plugins, as well as glitching (especially Absynth and Massive) and, in the case of Guitar Rig 4, a latency of around half a second when used as a plugin (works fine in standalone).

I'm using ASIO4ALL drivers, and no matter what tweaking I do to buffer settings, wheter in the ASIO controls, or Live 8's, or the individual apps, I just can't seem to sort out these issues.

I have the very latest versions of everything, both Live 8 and the individual NI apps, and the latest ASIO drivers so I have no idea why I'm having so many issues. Neither the NI forums or the Ableton forums were much help, even though I've read a lot of Komplete/Live not-playing-well-together complaints.

(my interface is a BCD3000 and my guitar is plugged in directly via a 1/4 jack-XLR cable- midi control latency is generally negligible, but the audio latency is starting to piss me off because you don't get the same sound applying effects to a clean guitar sound as you do playing it 'live', so to speak)

Any suggestions?

Do you have the latest updates of Komplete?

I am running Win7 64-bit and Live 8 with Komplete (5&6) with no problems at all.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

BittyWings posted:

Yeah (although i'm only on 32bit Win7)- fully up to date Komplete 6 (downloaded the latest versions last week) and Live 8.1.1.

Gonna give that latency checker a try and will report back- it's so frustrating knowing my PC is up to the task yet for some reason its misbehaving (silence, Mac users!)

Edit: welp, according to DPC latency checker, everything is just peachy, even though the same problems are occurring. I've tried both the ASIO4ALL drivers and the Behringer ASIO drivers and neither seems to make a difference- reducing samples down to 64 just makes horrid crackling and glitching, and even playing prerecorded audio through GR in plugin mode has latency issues and dropouts.

Is there an alternative to the ASIO drivers I can try?

Not many cheap audio interfaces will go down to 64 samples without trouble. I've got a relatively new i7 860 and I can still only run my interface at 256... but that translates to about 20ms total delay for me, which is quite manageable.

Have you actually tried other VSTi's? Are you sure it's specific to the NI stuff?

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Mental Filler posted:

Question for Live/Macbook Pro owners: is a 13" screen adequate for use onstage, or should I budget for a 15" instead? I'm used to a smaller screen on my netbook (10.1") but I don't know how much real estate Live needs. Probably more than 10.1".

You're not looking at it when you're playing live... the issue is more processing. The 15" are far more powerful beasts than the 13" at the moment. Completely different processors.

The current 13" MBP will still piss all over a reasonably complex live set, but the 15" will piss all over even more complex live sets.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

iloveyouall posted:

I want to preface this comment by saying I have googled it in several variations. Is it possible to plug a guitar into the apc 40 controller to record into ableton? I'm not too worried about sound at the moment since this is just for practice and to have some riffs on the songs. Otherwise does anyone have some tips for recording guitar into ableton. Like what hardware I would need etc.

The APC40 is a MIDI controller only. It does not have any inputs, it does not deal with audio signals in any way, shape or form. It sends little digital MIDI control signals to your DAW, that is all.

If you want to input your guitar into your computer (for processing in Ableton or otherwise) you will need an audio interface with a line, or preferably Hi-Z input. There are many of these available, check the "Let's find a cheap audio interface" thread for some suggestions.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
To be fair, there's no good reason why it doesn't work like that in Windows. At the very least it could re-detect your MIDI controllers when you go into the settings box!

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Slackerish posted:

Is there a way to draw pitch bends like you can in Reason? That's one of the few perks Reason has that I can't seem to figure out in Ableton. I mean, I know I can set pitches to sequencers, but if there was a way to actually draw the pitch bends out specifically, that would be amazing.

Of course. If it's a clip, you need to double click on it, hit the little "E" (envelope) icon on the clip viewer thing, select Midi Ctrl, then select Pitch Wheel in the drop down list. You can then draw in some control points with the pencil tool and drag them around.

If it's in arrangement view it's more or less the same thing, except use the little automation menu on the right.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

pennywisdom posted:

I just fired my APC40 on for the first time in about a month (I've been away) and now it's doing some crazy lightshow thing and scrolling through all the buttons. I've never seen this before, usually it just lights up the uppermost left button.

What's happening?

It just does this when you power it up and it's not synced up with anything on the computer. Is not a problem. Looks cool also, which is a bonus. After you launch live and get it synced back up it'll stop, unfortunately.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

colonp posted:

I don't see it. Do you mean the regular automation dropdown thing that you use for synth/track/FX automation? Screenshot would be appreciated!

Actually, now that I think about it, you may need to double click on the recorded track in the arrangement view... when the clipview comes up at the bottom, click the little E icon.

I'll double check when I get home.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Nindoze posted:

Finally purchased ableton suite with the nice 40% student discount.. good feeling being legit.

Also anyone with an apc40 has to check out these midi remote scripts if they haven't already, adds a lot of functionality that really should have been out of the box.
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/p/support-files.html#APC40_22

Being able to easily use the APC40 as a drum pad is nice, but it's a pity the pads aren't velocity sensitive.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

I r Pat posted:

edit- I discovered the "collect all and save" feature, but now I have no idea where it saved it to and if it will actually work. Anyone done this before?

That's it. They all just get saved into the set. Whatever.als

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

BittyWings posted:

Group track, kiddo.

Hold shift, select the three tracks you want, then right click and choose 'group tracks'. You can then put the effect you want on the group track, and the volume slider on that track will affect all within it, and all will be well with the universe.

I'm fairly sure group track is just a shortcut for what he was trying to do manually?

The other option obviously, is to use a send! Has the bonus of being able to set precisely how much of the signal from each track actually goes to the effect. Effectively a dry/wet knob for each input track, rather than just a global one.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

I r Pat posted:

I'm trying to recreate a bass sound like Eskmo achieves here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IddDWBpkzYg

Obviously there is some pitch bending going on, but whenever I try and pitch bend in ableton it barely goes above a half of an octave, is there any way to make the area I can pitch bend bigger or do I just need to find a sound to glide to the higher octave? Also, how do I get that really, really, smooth bass tone?

That song is pretty trippy, so thanks.

I'm not very good at sound design, but rather than using a pitch bend use portamento. So get a monophonic bass synth patch which sounds right, and turn on portamento. You press one key, then press another key, and it slides to that note over the course of x ms - fiddle with the portamento setting until the x is about right.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

surrealcatalyst posted:

So I never got a response to my question last page, but here's some more info:

When I have my audio driver set to ASIO through my TASCAM US-1641, there's a 3 minute delay before any MIDI signals from either my MIDI controller or the virtual computer MIDI keyboard are processed. They instantly light up the yellow box at the top right when a key is pressed, but the signal is not recorded in the meter and a sound doesn't come through an instrument for 3 minutes.

If I switch my audio driver to MME/DirectX, I get instant response from MIDI devices.

Does anyone have any idea why I'm getting this strange MIDI processing delay through ASIO? From my understanding, ASIO and MIDI are unrelated, aren't they?

Check for updated drivers for your Tascam, and make sure it actually supports your OS.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

surrealcatalyst posted:

I'm running the latest x64 drivers from the site.

The thing is that the MIDI input works just fine in both Reaper and Cubase. This seems to only be a problem in Ableton.

Make sure you're running the latest version of Ableton. Do you have a similar problem with all audio inputs or just midi inputs through the Tascam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

surrealcatalyst posted:

Just MIDI, which works fine in both Reaper and Cubase. (Although Cubase has a stranger problem of recording empty 44byte WAV files every time I try to record a track)

Check and double check your MIDI preferences in Ableton I guess. :iiam:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb07/articles/livetech_0207.htm might help.

Absolute worst case you can buy a MIDI USB cable and use that for your MIDI inputs instead of the Tascam. They're $10.