Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
I've tried Ableton Live on my PC for an hour or two and had some trouble with it.

To make this short, I've been using only FL Studio and Acid Pro for main recording and such. I'm going to either upgrade to get and stick to Pro Tools or just Ableton live and spend a few months on one of the two. A few questions:

-I know ableton is great for working on electronic stuff, but what about recording rock music?

-Ableton vs Protools.. hate to compare such different appz, but comparing the basics?

-VST and other plugins.. which has more compatibility?

-Are they both respected as industry standards?

So yeah. I may turn my extra bedroom into a mini recording studio/work room. I'll have a couple grand to spend, BUT I am so on a limb here. I'll be doing mostly recoding and mixing. I'm used to PC but am capable with and planning to go with MAC. It seems everyone I know is always requesting to record with a ProTools rig, YET the online community is always raving about Ableton Live and how amazing it is. Although I'm probably going with ProTools, I've very curious how Ableton handles in comparison. I've tried it, but for strictly recording... I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
I'm thinking about making a shift towards ableton as I'm mainly into writing electronic-based music. However it seems like its main sell is the ability to record complex and structured automation on the fly in long complex jams with midi/loops/samples.

Aside from this, what other unique functions does it have?