Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
I'm wondering if it's worth starting a track in Live 8 using session view then hooking up and rewiring to logic for further work. I'm not sure if it would take more time setting this up so that I have control over lives effects (if needed) from automation than it would just getting on in the arrange view. Arrange isn't too bad, I just find logic more powerful from the traditional standpoint.

edit: having said that, i don't have any internal live synths, i use absynth and reason. So I figure it wouldn't be too much of a ball ache after all. hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lewk
May 22, 2001

sofullofhate posted:

Just impulse-bought an MPK49. I'll update the group with Ableton integration notes and comments, and once I retrieve my APC40 from my apartment I'll let everyone know how they get along (prediction: not well).

I have one too, so give me a shout if you need it.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

sofullofhate posted:

Yeah, it works perfectly on the APC40. The rest of the transport buttons on the MPK49 work also, but it's apparently a known issue with the MPK series that their Tap Tempo buttons don't integrate with Ableton. loving annoying. I'm going to write Akai and ask that they sort that stupid crap out.

na, not straight off. but it does if you sync ableton to follow the keyboards tempo. but that's faff.

I also not keen on the pads. It's an alright controller but I may upgrade to a novation one at some point. but then I don't really like automap that much either, or what i've used of it thus far. Hmmmm.

Or I might just get a cheap simple 88 key thing to the left of me and have an MPD and a APC40 in front of me where my keyboard currently resides.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

sofullofhate posted:

It's heavier than it looks. Metal frame &c; "ultra-portable" isn't a phrase I'd apply liberally. I'm going to build a hard case for it and the APC; suspect it'll weigh around 50lbs loaded. :)

Tried this; couldn't get it to work. How have you got it configured so that this happens? I've got the arpeggiator synched to Ableton's tempo, but Tap Tempo still doesn't work.

Here's my settings, with it currently syncing to the keyboard with tap working (well, it works but you can't tap to set it off. so it's not ideal) Pretty sure I don't have anything extra set on the keyboard either.

Click here for the full 651x692 image.

I've also just plumped for the sensitivity kit enhancer on ebay. I figured I may as well give it a go, as I don't use the pads often given how hard I have to hit them and the noise it makes on the desk I can't hear the goddamn drums properly anyway.

Lewk fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 22, 2010

Lewk
May 22, 2001

sofullofhate posted:

Tried this with no success. At least the arpeggiator is slaved to Ableton's clock, though, and I can use the APC's Tap Tempo button.

Very odd (and somewhat troubling) that we're getting different results with the same config.

Is your MPK midi clock set to internal? are you on 1.05 software revision? That's the only other difference I can really think of.

Also the Tap tempo from the MPK doesn't output a midi signal, I don't think, which is why Live won't recognise it as a button. Stupid, if you ask me. Hopefully my sensitivity kit will be fit within the week, depending on international delivery. Though according to forums you can do it just as well with tape. But meh, I like bespoke stuff.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

I also bought the book. It is awesome. Even though I felt like I knew what I was doing, i'm discovering new things and ideas through it. The guy who wrote it's daily tips are also great.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

Lewk posted:

I've also just plumped for the sensitivity kit enhancer on ebay. I figured I may as well give it a go, as I don't use the pads often given how hard I have to hit them and the noise it makes on the desk I can't hear the goddamn drums properly anyway.

And i just installed it. I like it, I prefer the feel of the pads - more resistance and they trigger when I expect them to, so I dont have to hit them as hard. Hurrah.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

RivensBitch posted:

For some reason I can't get TouchOSC to work on my iPhone, the ports show up in Ableton but the controls just don't work. If you or anyone else get that running feel free to post a step by step howto so I can feel like a complete idiot for missing something obvious.

You've got OSCulator installed I take it? (if you're on a mac)

works fine for me.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

I want to buy a launchpad now. That is bloody *incredible*.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

In a more serious note, I've been setting up Live lately to be a basic DJ setup, as close to real decks as possible, to use with the APC 40. So far I have 3 tracks, 2 decks and a 'crate' group which expands open using midiStroke to map to a button. I have buttons for cue and loop points, and some basic effects. Also a 3 band EQ based on the one at 365 live tips.

Having never been a DJ and learning this way, given I cannot afford decks on a whim, are there any 'typical' DJ effects, techniques, that sort of thing I can work in? I shall post the .als if anybody wants it to to play about with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lewk
May 22, 2001

Nindoze posted:

Perhaps this site will be of some help..

http://tarekith.com/misc.html

and abletonlivedj.com is good for what you seem to be pursuing and has some beginner style guides stickeyed if you register.

Also some article about creative ruts too there (chasing inspiration) for FLX..

Great stuff, thankyou. The second one seems far too obvious! I did google search, but not very well it seems. Trouble is I don't really know DJ terms so didn't know quite what to look for !