Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

That's a slightly fiddly solution for casual note-taking, but really good information. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
If you're not doing anything in Arrangement view, maybe you could have a looped clip in an Arrangement track that plays constantly while you do other stuff in Clip view?

Or maybe just copy the loop to every scene in Clip view?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Computer Jones posted:

Put Sampler in the Left Hand track, then set Right Hand's "MIDI Out" to Left Hand. You may have to set Left Hand's "Monitor" to "In". :)

That doesn't quite work. If you want two MIDI tracks to play through the same plugin, you actually need three tracks: an instrument track ("piano") with Monitor set to "In", and two MIDI tracks "left hand" and "right hand", each of which has MIDI output pointing to "piano".

However if you want the left hand and right hand parts treated with separate audio effects, you either need a sampler that lets you set up zones mapped to multiple outputs (e.g. "all notes below middle C go to output 1, all notes above middle C go to output 2"), or else run a separate instance of the sampler on each track. Ableton's Simpler/Sampler instruments do not support multiple outputs so in that case you would have to run two separate Sampler tracks.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

BUTTERWORBS posted:

Ok this is really basic but it's pissing me off. I'm trying to learn ableton as my first real DAW but I'm an idiot. I have a bass sound mapped to my midi controller, and I'm using a slider to change an effect on the bass sound. I want to record a two bar loop of this. Unfortunately, no matter what I try, once I record the loop, the effect stays at whatever position my slider is in, and not all the poo poo I did with it while recording. What am I missing?

This is one of the big limitations of Live, that you can't record automation into clip view.

You CAN record automation into Arrangement view, and if you want the same automation looped over and over you can record two (or however many bars) and then ctrl-drag that over and over to copy the automation envelopes -- but only in Arrangement view.

You can also go into clip view and edit the automation offsets on a clip by drawing/editing the envelope by hand, but there's no way record a fader movement directly into the clip (except for pitch bend and modulation wheel).

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

RivensBitch posted:

For the record, you CAN record midi controller automation into clips in session view. How to get those to control your parameter though, might be the kicker.

Please explain how; I would love to be proved wrong on this but I don't think it's so.

As far as I'm aware, recording into a clip only captures note data (+velocity + aftertouch), pitch bend and modulation -- it does not record other control movements, either by way of a mapped control surface paramter, or by directly manipulating an onscreen control with the mouse.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Huh, that's good to know. I think that never occurred to me on account of the way my control surface is mapped (each slider sends the same CC #, only on different MIDI channels), but that's easy enough to reconfigure.

However, as you said, I don't see a way to then use that data to control a plugin parameter -- if I go in and use MIDI learn to assign that same slider to a synth's filter cutoff knob, the recorded envelope doesn't affect the synth.

If nothing else this will probably make my life easier when automating external hardware synths. Thanks!

h_double fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 3, 2010

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

RivensBitch posted:

An experiment to try might be to automate the parameters on a midi track that outputs to a virtual midi output (or a real midi out if you have a spare one) and then to connect that midi output to a virtual midi input in live and set that input as a mappable controller input. It's a small pain in that you'd have an extra MIDI channel, but worth the price if you really want to automate the parameters.

Why live doesn't let you do this natively is beyond me, although I'm looking forward to working around it with max for live.

Ableton's explanation is that there would be confusion/conflict if you tried to automate a parameter at both the clip-level and arrangement-level. And the way it works now with the offsets does let you do some cool things (example: create a one-bar clip and draw in automation for an upward filter sweep. Then go into arrangement view, make that clip into an 8-bar loop, and draw an 8-bar downward filter sweep of the same parameter).

It seems like the best solution would be if there were a switch where you could either set each clip's automation to "relative" (like how it currently works) or "absolute" (which would override Arrangement-level automation).

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm not sure if they're still offering it for free, but try the T.C. Electronic M30. It's only got some Hall plugins, but I find it pretty effective. I'm not a big fan of the native Live reverb, either.

that was just a 3 day promo

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

TylerK posted:

Say I have an audio clip on one track and my guitar going into another track. Is there some way I can change effects parameters on the clip track based on what I'm playing on my guitar? Specifically, I was wanting to do a sort of filter sweep on another track, but with the frequency being based on how high or low I go in pitch when playing guitar. Is this at all possible?

You could probably do this with Max4Live; there are already a bunch of Max/MSP pitch tracking objects out there.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

pennywisdom posted:

I'm having some trouble setting up some basic effect sends (verb and delay for now). Does anyone have any tutorials that takes you through setting this up?

I've made a seperate track, tossed my reverb on there, then routed my audio track to the verb track, but I can't hear it unless the track is armed. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here.

For a send/return buss, put the effects on one of the returns on the right (the columns labeled A and B), and use the per-track send dials to route per-track signals to them (if you don't see this stuff, make sure the little "S" and "R" buttons on the right hand side are lit.

If you are routing one track to another (like multiple outs of a drum sampler or whatever), the destination track needs to have Monitor set to "In" (if Monitor is set to "Auto", you'll only be able to hear it if the track is armed to record).

EDIT: woot beaten

pennywisdom posted:

Ah there we go. Where do they show up in arrangment view?

the return tracks show up if you click the little "R" button on the right side of Arrangement view

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

pennywisdom posted:

I'm re-reading the thread and just came across this video tutorial posted way back. He's using the autofilter and delay on the master track to get some hold effect happening and I'm just wondering how I can automate the feedback and mix of the delay to the frequency of the autofilter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_n3LSqb0wU

You could either:

1) map the delay level + autofilter frequency to the same MIDI control parameter (you can even scale them differently)

2) copy the automation envelope from one parameter and paste it to another (right click on the envelope in arrangement view)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

pennywisdom posted:

If you take a peek at that video, the parameters for the delay are being moved when he is using his mouse to tweak the frequency. Is there a way to 'parent' 2 different effects together?

Maybe I'm just confused.

He says he's mapping the multiple parameters to the modulate wheel on his MIDI controller; you can MIDI learn multiple parameters to the same controller.

Another way you could do it is to put both devices into an Audio Rack and map multiple parameters to a single macro knob.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
DPC Latency Checker is a useful tool for sussing out latency issues caused by hardware/driver conflicts.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I had a similar problem, my $20 PCI wireless card was causing my (firewire) Fireface to glitch, disabling it fixed everything.

It turns out this was a blessing in disguise because that's one less huge potential distraction when I sit down to record/mix (plus it only takes about 10-15 seconds to turn the card off/on in device manager so it's easy enough when I need to move files around or download a patch or something).

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

RivensBitch posted:

Hate to break this to you, but you *cannot* use VST plugins in Live when using rewire. I guess you might be able to use them in Reason?

What? Of course you can. When you rewire Reason into a Live track, it's just like any other track input, and you can put whatever effects you want on it (VST or Live's own internal effects).

FLX posted:

Has anyone experience with selling/buying a used Live license?

I've got Live Intro, but also Live Lite from my MIDI Keyboard. Today I upgraded Lite to Live "normal", so this means I still have the spare Intro license (which I bought because Lite was barely usable and Intro is cheap and cool :D ), which I would sell to someone who wants to try Live or get a cheaper upgrade to Live 8 or Suite.

I read in Ableton's licensing FAQ that this is possible, by sending an E-Mail to Ableton with details of the transfer. Is it really that easy, or are there any hurdles/restrictions in the "fine print" (i.e. no rebate on upgrades for used licenses or something like that)?

I bought a used Sampler license from some guy on the Ableton forum, basically I paypal'd him the cash, he sent me the s/n and emailed Ableton about the license transfer, and about 2-3 days later they wrote back to say they had done the necessary hand-waving at their end. I was then able to install Sampler just as if I'd bought it from the Ableton store, it shows up in my list of registered products like everything else.

h_double fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 8, 2010

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

SkandalousPanda posted:

I was wondering if anyone knew an easy way to set up my midi controller to easily scroll through a drum rack. Right now I'm using the Axiom 25 so I have 8 pads that correspond to the bottom 8 slices in the drum rack. My current solution is to set up a scale effect that transposes up by 8 steps. I turn this effect on or off to move up and down the drum rack. Anyone do something different that might work a little easier? My method kind of limits me to only 16 slices but I figure there should be a way to scroll up and down a much larger rack.

If you use a Pitch effect, you can scale the input up or down by up to 127 semitones. You could map a knob on your controller to alter the Pitch transpose amount up or down, but that would be a little finnicky (at least for live performance) having to notch it up or down by multiples of 8.

A better solution would be to set up a MIDI Effect Rack, with multiple chains, each containing its own Pitch effect (Chain 1 = no Pitch effect, Chain 2 = Pitch +8, Chain 3 = Pitch +16 etc.). Then map a knob/slider to the Chain Select Ruler, so you could quickly click up and down to each bank of 8 pads.

EDIT: here is a tutorial I wrote about racks if you are unfamiliar with setting up racks/chains.

h_double fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 8, 2010

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

magiccarpet posted:

I am terrible at playing guitar but need to have some power chords tossed into what i'm doing. Digital Hardcore nonsense. Is Guitar Rig my best bet? I can't seem to do anything spectacular with Ableton's built in instruments.

Just to be clear, do you want a synthesized/sampled guitar, or an amp modeler to process an actual guitar? Because that's what Guitar Rig is, a bunch of virtual amps and effects to play through, you still need to provide an actual guitar. (that said, it's an excellent program)

If that's not what you want, maybe a sample pack from someplace like Loopmasters?

h_double fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 11, 2010

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Theos posted:

My freshman effort in Ableton. I think I hosed with the volume too much, but I was running out of ideas on how to build the intensity of the song.

I like this a lot! It's definitely pretty crude and sloppy, but please please don't let your music get "polished" at the expense of being crazy and surprising.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Is there a way to force a monophonic buss/submix track in Live?

For example I have a play-along CD that came with a music book, it has the bassline hard panned to the left channel and the rest of the accompaniment hard panned to the right. I want to listen to just the accompaniment (right channel), but I would like it centered in the stereo field. In most other DAWs I could just route the track to a monophonic submix, but in Live I can't figure out a way to create a monophonic audio track unless it is monitoring a monophonic hardware input as its source.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

stun runner posted:

Could try panning it to the right and routing it to an audio track with the utility device with stereo width set to 0?

That did the trick exactly, thanks!

It looks like the Utility device can also reverse phase of either channel, which is also handy.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Nofehr posted:

So this might have been asked already, but searching through 26 pages for this simple question won't be fun.

My friend and I are wanting to make some music, basically a digital mashup/remixing project for a local art gallery to play in the background, and we were considering using Ableton Live since it seems to be the most open out of the DAWs. However he has a PC and I am on a Mac, so is it easy to transfer projects from PC to Mac on Ableton or should we consider another DAW?

thanks

Yes, projects are cross-compatible between PC and Mac.

The Ableton FAQ adds:

"If you are transferring from a Mac to a PC, use the "Save Set Self-Contained" format. Please be sure to save the files with the ".als" extension. And be sure you are using the same version of Live."

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Live isn't supported under Win 7 so it's anybody's guess.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I think it's probably a general Windows thing, I've never seen a Windows app that would detect a USB controller unless it was already connected when the app is started.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

sTickHead posted:

So i know I'm probably just missing something completely obvious, but as being so new to this stuff, i really don't know what I'm looking for. I did some of the starting tutorials, i know how to create the different instruments and record sections of them. But is there somewhere where i can stick these different, samples, i guess i would call them, so i can create a complete song? Don't know if this question is worded the best. But if someone knows what I'm talking about please help! Thanks in advance.

There are two main modes to Live -- Session View (which has a grid of clip slots, and channel faders/knobs at the bottom of each column), and Arrangement View (which is a more traditional timeline view used for building a song from start to finish) -- you can switch between the two with the tab key or by clicking the buttons in the upper right corner of the screen.

There are a number of approaches you can take, but a pretty common one is to start out by creating the building blocks of your song (a clip = drum loop or vocal verse or whatever) in Session View and then either record them as a live performance into Session View (using the record/play buttons at the top of the screen), or else copy & paste the clips into Arrangement View. Or you can record directly into Arrangement View if you want.

edit: beaten

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

sTickHead posted:

Starting to build some sets and i need more instruments. What are some good Plug-ins (i think you guys call them VST's?)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3256305 has some good recommendations.

Also http://kvraudio.com is basically the VST supersite if that's not enough to keep you busy.

h_double fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 26, 2010

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

sTickHead posted:

How do i make the changes i do in arrangement view reflect in the session view, and vice-versa?

You don't really -- if you drag a clip from session view into arrangement, then edit the clip in session view, those changes do not carry over to arrangement view.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I have a Vestax VCI-100 controller + Traktor, and it's okay for basic scratches/cuts but honestly for anything more than that you need a full on turntable -- having the TT motor providing tension is a big big part of scratching.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

sofullofhate posted:

Yup. For each set, go to the File menu and select "Collect Files and Save". Viola - all samples / patches / etc. collected into the Set's directory and saved.

Yeah but what if the project is more than small stringed instruments?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
You can also create an .alp file (Ableton Live Package) by going to File -> Manage Files, then click on Manage Project. An .alp is sort of like a zip file, you will then have to unpack it to re-use, but it's a good way to archive your projects for backups or transfer between people.

Sections 5.9 - 5.13 of your Live manual talk about all this in more detail.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

RivensBitch posted:

For some reason I can't get TouchOSC to work on my iPhone, the ports show up in Ableton but the controls just don't work. If you or anyone else get that running feel free to post a step by step howto so I can feel like a complete idiot for missing something obvious.

I've got it running TouchOSC -> pd (Puredata) -> MIDI Yoke -> Live (WinXP) on my iPod Touch (so it's on the same wireless LAN).

The tutorial on http://hexler.net/software/touchosc worked pretty well for me, the only tricky thing I ran into is that I had to manually open TCP port 9658 in order to send custom layouts from the UI editor to TouchOSC. Getting the OSC controls working in pd, and connecting pd to Live was all pretty straightforward.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I saw something a few months back about a way to do networked audio in Ableton-- it's hard for me to track it down because so many people are talking about network MIDI (which owns btw). Anyone know what I'm talking about?

A quick search turns up http://code.google.com/p/wormhole2/

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
also there's a time ruler at the bottom of clips in the clip editor

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Xovaan posted:

I haven't tried yet, because I got the thing on Craigslist and it didn't have one with it. Is there a site I can get power adapters cheap with the proper power rating? It's an Axiom 49, if that matters.

The Axiom manual says it uses a 12v 250-300mA center positive power supply, you could probably find one at Radio Shack.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

KaosPV posted:

OK, clipping in Ableton: what the hell am I doing wrong?

When I try to balance the levels of all the tracks in Ableton I almost always get my drum rack track too soft sounding. The problem is that if I set it at a volume I like, the master track meter keeps clipping, particularly at the snare beat. So basically, my snare almost always clips my mix, but if I tune it softer, it sounds weak.

What can I do? When is clipping acceptable?

Maybe a little compression?

If you want the snare to sound really "hot", you can try adding a little distortion overdrive, but in any case the first thing I would try is turning everything else down. Whenever I record everything, the very first thing I do is turn the individual track faders down to about -12dB (leave the master output at 0), that way there is plenty of headroom to make things a little louder as need be.

(also this is one of the big benefits of working with 24 bit audio, that you can keep your levels lower and still have plenty of dynamic range)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Exadus posted:

Also, can somebody recommend me some good plug-ins?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3256305

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
The Edirol PCR 300/500/800 are nice controllers too, I think they're priced about halfway between the Axiom and the Akai controllers. The pads are pretty small (but they still work great as buttons), otherwise I like them a lot.

h_double fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 4, 2010

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Voxengo SPAN is a pretty nice (and free) frequency analysis plugin.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

woodenchicken posted:

Anyone tried running Live on a netbook? Thinking of getting one to use on shows.
How much will its processor/memory allow me to do? I only want it to trigger pre-made loops and samples with a MIDI controller, nothing fancy like real-time software synthesis or effect chains. (Well, being able to play an occasional synth or do a filter sweep would be a bonus, now that you think about it)
Are there any other problems that may prevent this from working? Display issues? Crappy DACs on netbook soundcards?

I mostly did okay triggering samples and a very few plugins in Live 6 on a Pentium III 500 laptop.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

woodenchicken posted:

Glad to hear that!
A friend has Live on his MacBook, so last night I created some basic sets and we recorded a few songs at his home studio. It was... fun as hell. That's it, we're gonna try this in front of an audience, and if it goes well, I'm getting myself a netbook and a copy.
One question though. Is there any way to play a drum machine in session mode? There is this Impulse thing, which has pads labelled "kick", "snare", etc. that you can drag and drop your own samples onto. But there is no way to assign those pads to your controller's keys/pads. They just don't become blue when you turn the mapping mode on. The built-in tutorial seemed to avoid this issue. We're running version 6, if it's any help.

I'm pretty sure the Impulse pads are mapped to MIDI notes C3-C4, so just play those notes on your controller.

You can shift this range by sticking a MIDI "Pitch" device before the Impulse (e.g. if you have a pad controller mapped to notes C2-C3, you could put a Pitch +12 (since there are 12 notes in an octave) to translate it). You can also "stack" multiple instances of Impulse (on separate tracks, set to the same MIDI channel) this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

pennywisdom posted:

How do I bust out the little comments pane on the right side? I downloaded some live sets and I noticed people have written a little bit about the track in it, I think it would be a good place to write down some tabs of the guitar parts I have going on.

This is probably what you are looking for

Also I can't believe that it took me so long to discover that you can right click on a clip (or the header of a device I think) and "Edit Info Text" to make an info blurb that shows up in the lower left tooltip panel.