Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Dolphin posted:

When I try to use any of the samples, though, the sound is delayed, distorted and glitchy....

So what's the problem? :)

But on the topic of the thread, I've been using Ableton for over a year now, after having been pretty well versed in Protools and Cubase. I'm finally working on a project that is more linear that what I've been doing in Ableton, it's got 8 tracks of drumkit and guitars and bass etc. I'm trying to do some of the fancier editing that I was used to in protools, and I'm finding it's not as elegant as I'd like. For instance, in protools and cubase you can fade the edges of the clip by mousing over the edges until the icon changes to the fade tool, then you drag a fade envelope over the clip. In live it seems the only way to do this is to double click the clip, bring up the envelop editor, and draw in a fade on the volume envelope. This is a lot more tedious than I'd like, does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this more elegantly? And in general, any tips on how to use the arrangement view in live would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

stun runner posted:

Couldn't you just automate the volume for the entire track or am I missing something?

Yes, but as mentioned, protools and cubase offer a one-click solution for fading the edges of clips. Besides being a very quick way to create this edit, it also has the benefit of linking the fade to the clip, so if you drag the clip it follows.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Stux posted:

Why not just use cubase or protools then?

That's a possibility but exporting and converting large sessions is a pain, and ableton is so awesome I would rather find a way to work with it

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

vas0line posted:

Eh, it's not too hard at all. You pull down the envelope menu, CMD+B (to select pencil), click anywhere in the clip to create some of those nice little dots, CMD+B again, then drag the dots around to create a fade. Takes like 5 seconds. You can also copy and past envelopes.

The trick is figuring out the most efficient way to get the results you want.

Now this is the kind of answer I was looking for. It's still not as good as protools/cubase, but it's a quick way to get the job done which is what I wanted.

If there weren't issues with compatibility with other band members, I probably would have kept this session in cubase, but as it is I need to work in live this time around.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I still have my FCB1010, I don't think I'll ever part with it.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

What is Max4Live missing compared to Max/MSP by itself? I've been resetting the 30 day MAX trial for a while now and have been debating which is the more useful purchase, Upgrading live 7->8 and getting max for live, or getting max/msp.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Sups posted:

Having two problems...

When I am recording in Ableton through my Shure SM58 I am hearing (quietly) the metronome in the background. Any way to get rid of this?

If you mute your headphones/monitors, does it still record the metronome? If it doesn't then you're just getting bleed. The best solution to this is to use in ear monitors (ie Shure SCL2 - SCL5) as they produce 0 bleed.

There's also a *small* chance that if you use unbalanced microphone cables and your headphone/speaker cables run near your mic cable, you could theoretically get some interference. This is most likely not what is happening.

quote:

Also, I'm having lag with my mic and the playback. I've adjusted the latency, I tried to load the Driver Error Compensation Live Set, but I'm getting a "failed to resolve link" error.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Lag in your monitoring or lag in the recording itself?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

That's a really humbling video

ps: posting from the 15" macbook pro that my wife gave me for my birthday, cannot stress how important it is that you beg borrow and steal to get one yourself.

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 18, 2009

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I'm running VMWARE with spaces, so I have win7 64bit running on one space with winxp running in another, and then Ableton running in leopard and it works pretty smooth. Touchpad works fine in all of them.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

dookie posted:

poo poo, did you add more RAM or something? My macbook pro can't even handle a Windows XP Vmware and Snow Leopard OS by itself, let alone Live.

It's actually stock with 4GB, but I'm running leopard, not snow leopard. Wont be upgrading for a while (even though the MBP came with the SL install disk), right now everything is super stable.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Gah...

I'm so torn. I've worked in Max/MSP a lot and I love the environment. Should I buy Max 5, or should I buy the upgrade from Live 7 to Live 8 with Max 4 Live?

Someone please make this decision for me I'm dying here

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

colonp posted:

What does Max/MSP have that Max for Live doesn't?

I consider myself a very capable internet researcher and yet cannot find the answer the this question.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Yeah reading that article has more or less convinced me to forget buying max by itself. It would be nice to be able to release my patches to work with the MAX standalone, but can't I just copy and paste my M4L patches into a 30-day max trial to do this?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Radical Cut posted:

Are you eligible for a student discount for Max? Getting it and the MaxForLive crossgrade is only 50 bucks more than buying only MaxForLive.

I am not a student. I sent in my wife's student ID from beautician college and the folks at cycling74 laughed at me. True story.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

...wait, they're charging for the free update?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Live's updates have always been new versions of the entire program, not just patches.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I still have my MBOX classic and use it here and there. It's VERY handy when I need to export a session that is going to be mixed in a studio with ProTools, and it's got decent mic pres.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Oh god I just spent $600 upgrading to live 8 suite + max for live. Can't...install...fast...enough....

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

You couldn't resist the discount ending either?

It's everything I hoped for and more. I'm not sure what to play with first, but for anyone curious, there's absolutely no reason to buy max on it's own if you own max 4 live, max is there in it's entirety it's just living inside of live. Which is awesome.

I was even able to load standard max patches into max after quitting live (max stays open and is fully functional it seems).

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Rkelly posted:

What about Jitter functionality? I just wanted use max and a midi controller to run video and do all the crazy poo poo jitter can do live. Does that actually work now? Or do I need max/msp and max 4 live?

http://cycling74.com/2010/01/07/a-video-processing-device-for-max-for-live/

Going to load this in now, but according to the article jitter is more or less fully functional with just a slight limitation in the video window when you're editing the patch

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Correction - Jitter totally works. I just synched the RGB channels of my webcam input to the RGB color values of my ColorSynth MIDI light fixtures and it's gravy.

to clarify - when editing the jitter patch in max, the preview window is disabled. However when you are done editing, and go back to live, the preview windows works again.

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 10, 2010

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I would assume the delay is from latency more than from the keyboard

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

My wife is going to kill me.

I just bought a launchpad and an akai lpk25.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

All of my session names and folders start with the date I created them followed by something descriptive about the tracks ("Airwolf baseline" or "WompWompWomp"). When collaberating with my Ableton band we keep the original date in the folder name and then update the date on the session files along with who was editing it last, that way we have some sense of which copy of the session is the one we should work with.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

WIFI might not be a good solution, but bluetooth is more than adequate to the task.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

BUTTERWORBS posted:

Alright thanks for the clarification. I hadn't even considered that what I was trying to do wasn't possible.

For the record, you CAN record midi controller automation into clips in session view. How to get those to control your parameter though, might be the kicker.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

1) Grab yourself a MIDI controller and assign a slider to MIDI CC14.
2) Create a MIDI track and arm it.
3) Create a 1 bar clip in session view and launch it.
4) Turn on MIDI overdub
5) Double click the clip, in the lower left click the "E" to view envelopes.
6) Select "MIDI" from the first drop down, and "Controller 14" from the second.
7) Adjust the slider assigned to CC14 and voila.

Some of those steps aren't necessary to actually record the movements, this example is just to show you firsthand that it works.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

h_double posted:

Huh, that's good to know. I think that never occurred to me on account of the way my control surface is mapped (each slider sends the same CC #, only on different MIDI channels), but that's easy enough to reconfigure.

However, as you said, I don't see a way to then use that data to control a plugin parameter -- if I go in and use MIDI learn to assign that same slider to a synth's filter cutoff knob, the recorded envelope doesn't affect the synth.

If nothing else this will probably make my life easier when automating external hardware synths. Thanks!

An experiment to try might be to automate the parameters on a midi track that outputs to a virtual midi output (or a real midi out if you have a spare one) and then to connect that midi output to a virtual midi input in live and set that input as a mappable controller input. It's a small pain in that you'd have an extra MIDI channel, but worth the price if you really want to automate the parameters.

Why live doesn't let you do this natively is beyond me, although I'm looking forward to working around it with max for live.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

The "best"? I haven't heard anything that's better than vss3 and dvr2 from tc electronic, but they don't run natively. You'd need either a system 6000 ($9000) or a powercore with the licenses ($1000).

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

A powercore with a system 6000 bundle is cheaper than that lexicon bundle, and you get a ton of plugins, not just the system 6000 reverbs.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Project Lithium posted:

Alright, I just picked up Suite. I haven't even installed it yet, but I had a question about rewire. I have a couple of songs I like quite a bit, and somebody in this thread said to use rewire to "bypass reason's lovely mixer."*

I suppose my question is should I use the effects from ableton or reason? I don't really have any VST plugins yet, which was my main reason for even getting Ableton, so should I wait to get some plugins or just use ableton for mixing/mastering and use the stuff that comes with Reason?

*this, I think, was paraphrased.

Hate to break this to you, but you *cannot* use VST plugins in Live when using rewire. I guess you might be able to use them in Reason?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

h_double posted:

What? Of course you can. When you rewire Reason into a Live track, it's just like any other track input, and you can put whatever effects you want on it (VST or Live's own internal effects).

Ableton FAQ posted:

Can I access VST Plug-ins in Live when it is running as ReWire slave?

You can use VST Plug-ins in Live only while running Live as ReWire master or as a stand-alone application.

So I was confused on which was which, but you're right if Ableton is the master and Reason is the slave, then you can use VST plugins.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

My show Friday was canceled due to some building code violations at the venue, I was going to be performing with C. Faith. She uses an RS7000 with a bunch of hardware synths and a KaosPad, when we perform she sends me time code, I lock Live into step with her, and then she drops some house music while I light up the room.

I spent all week working on a new Live set to use my new toys and now I can't, so I have a need to share. Here's my lighting setup with a custom Max4Live patch that is controlled by my recently acquired launchpad.

My live set has 8 MIDI tracks loaded with simple clips arranged from left to right in timing sequences. A common pattern is a single Color ON that fades to black, but each channel is offset so channel 1 is beat 1, channel 2 is the & of 1, channel 3 is beat 2, etc.

I have two novation knobs mapped to pitch adjustment and velocity scaling on all channels, which allows me to change the colors displayed (pitch) and how quickly they fade between each other (velocity).

The launchpad is a routing grid where the rows represent the 8 MIDI tracks in live, and the columns represent the 8 ColorSynths from left to right. The diagonal line pictured is the default setting, MIDI track 1 to ColorSynth 1, track 2 to ColorSynth 2, etc.

Pressing the "Track Arm" button on the lower right of the launchpad alternates between only being able to assign each ColorSynth to a single MIDI track (selecting track 2 deselects any other assigned track for that ColorSynth), and being able to assign as many tracks to a ColorSynth as you want.

The Novation controller is loaded with a ColorSynth preset so that I can select any of the parameters (ColorSliding, oscillating, strobing, direct RGB levels, or pressing keys to generate colors), and it's routed to all of the ColorSynths regardless of channel assignment.

When I'm improvising light sequences with this setup, with my right hand I'm usually flipping the launchpad between session view and launching clips, and my max4live patch where I'm controlling how the sequence is divided among the 8 ColorSynths. With my left hand I'm using the novation to tweak the Colors and fade times, adjust the speed of the color oscillators, strobing, and pulling back the master brightness which creates some cool affects when the colors drop below the master fader threshold.

Unfortunately for now I only have one audience member:

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Nindoze posted:

fascinating stuff, those light globes worth a lot of moola?
also can you post a video of them in action? (preferebly with the stonercat)

I sell the colorsynths for $300 a pair, so that's technically $1200 worth. Video would be a good idea but Id prefer a demo with music and mine isn't up to task really. Anyone want to lend me their live set to perform to?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Progressive house in Em.

My wife and I really like this, have any more?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

They can't advertise below MAP on the web, so it's undoubtedly an in-store, non-advertised sale price. They do it hoping that word of mouth will spread.

melee beats posted:

APC40 on sale at Guitar Center for 299, Lauchpads for 159 :)

I bought my launchpad from RobotSpeak in SF for $200, and consider it money well spent. I'd much rather support a hole in the wall in the haight where I can actually hear myself think as I'm evaluating the gear I want to buy, and seeing as how a large chain store like Guitar Center buys them at $140 while Robotspeak has to buy them at $155, I'm much happier to see my $45 keeping a cool store open rather than shooting $15 to a chain store so that they can open yet another house of musical horrors.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

This may be what stun runner just said, but in lives audio effects there's a utility folder and in there is a plugin that selects which stereo tracks you want to monitor, and I beleive one of the options is both in mono.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I really, *really* hate how Ableton handles it's automation in arrangement view. Why is the automation tied to the clip? If I have multiple takes, that means I have to either copy/paste the automation to each of the alternates, or send the audio to a monitoring channel and put the automation there. Either way, it's a PITA.

Also I should be able to turn record automation off, so that I can adjust levels while tracking without then having to go back and delete the automation that was recorded.

Automating levels in the utility plugin is a great tip, I just wish Ableton had something similar to Cubase's relative automation features where you can still use the faders after you've automated levels on a track.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

^^^ Another reason I absolutely ADORE my MBP, being able to plug in a MIDI controller while a set is playing and start using it without Live skipping a beat is awesome.

moron posted:

FWIW, I'm using a legit version but his is a warezed one. Would that make a difference?

Seconding the "Pirated versions of Ableton are more trouble than they're worth" sentiment. For the record, I've always had a bought and paid for Live license when using it, however there was a short period where I'd had to reformat my laptop and it took Ableton forever to enable another license for me. While I was waiting I tried to use a pirated version of live, and immediately noticed that compared to my legit version it was very unstable and had file-keeping issues. When I got my license re-issued I immediately switched back, even though the pirated version included live Suite and at the time I only had regular live. The better stability was much more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Also running 8.1.1 but still have 7.16 installed