Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIzqJkGc4go

We just got this back from the videographer today, this is footage compiled from a performance in a Market St highrise in SF. Fun party, had 8 ColorSynths setup that I was controlling realtime in Ableton, synched to an RS7000 so the lights and music line up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I have been the biggest pc whore for years, but my wife bought me a 15" mbp and I cannot beleive how much better it runs *everything*. In my band (not the one linked above) I'm playing back several vst instruments and ableton drum racks, and at the same time have 8 audio inputs for our vocalists, drums, guitars, and am monitoring them in realtime with automated fx sends, feeding two stereo outputs for the pa and a mono send to in ear monitors. My buffers are set to 6ms of latency and the thing has never so much as hiccuped let alone paused or crashed.

Before the mbp my toshiba pc laptop was just playing back a few tracks of audio and the best reliable latency with the same interface was 25ms. Anything less would be prone to random pauses and dropouts.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Yeah, CoreAudio is so completely stable and awesome, and OS/X incorporates MIDI so intelligently, you can actually set up ethernet MIDI ports from within the system control panel.

The built in audio interface is so awesome I can actually plug in a MIDI controller and get useable latencies for playing soft-synths. If I have an idea I don't need to go grab all of my studio gear, I can just plug in some headphones and the little Akai 25 key controller I keep nearby.

Speaking of controllers, you can also hot swap them while Live is open. On a PC you have to close live, plug in the controller, wait for the windows "do-dee" to play a couple dozen times, and then relaunch live. On my MBP I can just unplug the launchpad and plug in my keyboard, the old MIDI ports disappear and the new ones show up. Oh and the audio playback doesn't even skip a beat!

If you are on a budget get a regular macbook. Don't forget to bring a student ID, if you don't have one borrow a friend who does and in the mac store they will take one look at it and then give you the discount (the wife saved $200 doing this with her cosmetology school ID).

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing/

If you don't need firewire, the macbook 2.26ghz w/ 4gb ram is $1000. The 2.53ghz 13 inch mbp with 4gb ram is $1400, the 15" is $1600.

It sounds like a lot of money but a good guitar player, drummer, or turntabalist will easily outspend that buying their instruments.

The

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

stun runner posted:

I'm taking a Max4Live class in SF this month/next month, I'm pretty excited about it.

At robotspeak? If you're in town you should come to Milk on the 27th, Easystreet is performing and I'll have 16 ColorSynths running on Max4Live

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

For some reason I can't get TouchOSC to work on my iPhone, the ports show up in Ableton but the controls just don't work. If you or anyone else get that running feel free to post a step by step howto so I can feel like a complete idiot for missing something obvious.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

If you're in ableton 8, you can select all the tracks and then adjust one fader to bring them all down together, keeping their relative levels. You can also group your tracks and compress them, which might help with your snare problem if you were to compress a drum group.

As for your mp3s sounding quieter than professionally mixed tracks, what you need to do is take your wav/aiff files exported from ableton and load them into a stereo editing program like Sound Forge. Then you can normalize them and if you like, try your hand at adding *slight* compression and EQ to master them. If you do this, I would strongly recommend loading some professionally mixed tracks into sound forge as well so that you can A/B what you're doing as a sanity check. Use spectrometers and any visualization software to see what the professional track is doing and compare it to your own.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

duggimon posted:

if you're not doing it to the master then it isn't mastering

Neither is putting random plugin chains on the master channel, but I suppose that's a debate that deserves it's own thread.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Click here for the full 1000x663 image.

Played a show on saturday with 16 ColorSynths, sequenced in Ableton.

Things got pretty crazy...

Click here for the full 1000x792 image.

Click here for the full 1000x843 image.

Click here for the full 1000x898 image.

Click here for the full 750x1000 image.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Click here for the full 1000x688 image.

Waiting for people to edit and upload videos, but music can be found here

(no that's not me singing)

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 29, 2010

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Hip-hop-o-pot-o-mus posted:

I think you guys will appreciate this. This is The Glitch Mob's live set up. I know this beast interfaces with Ableton somehow and is controlled by a set of 3 lemurs and a handful of other midicontrollers.

Did you catch them at Yuri's night on Saturday? I liked what I heard but have to admit that even with the Lemurs angled so the crowd could see, they weren't really doing much other than hyping up the crowd with their hands in the air....

....Meanwhile in hangar 2, my pals with Lovetech were rocking the homemade MIDI controllers. Much, much, MUCH more interesting than the majority of what was going on in the "rave hangar".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e3qkaa5qsE&feature=related

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Or just record your part without a click track, figure out the tempo after the fact, and use warp markers to correct any errors in timing.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Check your MIDI plugins, there's a device in there that converts the mapping of the drum racks to APC drum pads.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Not being a dj myself, I would hope that bridging the gap and using ableton would free up many djs ability to actually perform with their mixes, with like.... Musical instruments and stuff.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

After watching that video I just might buy ableton suite all over again

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Which is a bummer. I cant find a decent alternative, nothing is laid out so simply yet has all the same features and sound quality. Crystal is way too many pages and features I don't need, automat is ugly and non intuitive, and elec7ro doesn't have FM.

Someone please find me a good mac friendly synth1 alternative, I'd even shell out a few bucks.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Going to have to fire that up when I get home, looks very promising

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Alright, trip report on VFX and Soundflower. It was very frustrating, how smoothly VFX installed, how easily synth1 installed, watching synth1 load up perfectly, and then realizing that they don't let you choose your MIDI/AUDIO input/outputs. With some experimentation I discovered that routing MIDI in ableton to the IAC bus would get MIDI into VFX, great now I've sequenced synth1. However, the only way to route audio is to send ALL system audio to soundflower. You cant choose an output in vfx. Sure, you can route soundflower into ableton, but then soundflower is the only input! What now? I can't use any of the inputs from my audio interface, that's what. SO CLOSE yet so far!

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 10, 2010

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I think it's because their software is designed around their hardware interface, so letting it run PC plugins on a MAC for people not buying their hardware is kind of an afterthought.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

You can always just go into preferences, turn off the controller, then turn it back on.

Funny enough, this does not consistently work from PC to PC. It doesn't work on either my desktop, or my old PC laptop.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Set the markers manually, in ableton 8 its really easy. If the track is ambient then pick a tempo that's close and choose a number of measures and just make it happen.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I hate you, I'm broke and yet that's soo cheap!

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Crosspost from the Ableton forums, hooray for Max4Live!

My band uses Ableton to play back pre-recorded and sequenced synths and percussion, to automate realtime FX on all of our instruments and vocals, and most importantly to mix in ear monitors for the lead vocalist and myself (drummer/controller of Ableton).

At our last rehearsal my vocalist was having a very hard time with her in ear mix (we recently moved everything in the room around), and of course because the laptop is next to me, I have to make the adjustments as she's calling them out to me. It's a pretty awkward way to do things.

To solve this problem I decided to write a max patch that would give her hands on control of her in ear mix:

It's pretty straightforward, use the umenus below each live.dials to select a channel. The umenu on the left selects which send the live.dials are mixing.

Then on the right we have controls to interface with the iPhone to Max/MSP bridge, developed by c74. For $4 you buy their app and then fire it up, and as long as you can work out the wifi kinks it will connect to this patch and voila:

(this is a different mix than the screenshot above)

There are a few flaws in the iPhone interface, (no way to detect landscape/portrait, buggy update code for refreshing data to the iPhone, and more), but for these purposes it works just fine. Hit the update and flip controls a few times and you're sorted, hand the phone to the talent and let them mix their own monitors.

This took me 3 days to program and troubleshoot, one of the hardest parts was making the settings persist in a live set after closing and reopening it. At first I tried using pattr, but it really didn't work as well as I would have liked. The main sticking point were the umenus, they'd keep resetting when I opened the session. I found a great workaround, which is to use a live.number box, since live will store those with the set, and just link it to a value object and the umenu. After finding the right combination of loadbang/delay/bangs it works like a charm.

The patch can be downloaded here:
EB-MonitorSendControl-v1.1.amxd

This sure beats spending $2000 on an Aviom system, less hardware too!

Cheers!

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 16, 2010

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

The only thing that would be cooler is if I could send the audio itself to the iPhone, and turn it into the wireless IEM bodypack.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Just FYI, this is really bitchin. Quite a cool solution.

Sweet, have you had a chance to load up the patch?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Vanmani posted:

Actually, now that I think about it, you may need to double click on the recorded track in the arrangement view... when the clipview comes up at the bottom, click the little E icon.

I'll double check when I get home.

You can automate either the clip automation, or the track automation. To automate the clip, double click it and then click on the circled E icon. To automate the track, there are two dropdown menus to the left of the track names, to the right of the clips themselves. The top box chooses different categories of automation (mixer, devices, fades), and the dropdown below it selects which parameter to automate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib_f2XGzZM4

(you know guys this poo poo is really easy to find with a simple google search...)

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

What kind of audio interface do you need? That sounds like enough to get a solid macbook pro and a decent 2-4 channel interface.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

My 2.4ghz dual core macbook pro at $2000 US has way more bang for my buck than the $600 quad core PC I built myself. Just sayin.

If you're concerned about money buy used, windows 7 is ok but it's got nothing on snow leopard

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

wayfinder posted:

How do you define bang there?

Unfortunately, I can't get hardware at US prices :(

Lower latency, higher track counts, more real time inputs with real time effects on them, more plugins, fewer (if any) crashes, more reliable sleep/wake time, more compatability with hardware (I have several different audio interfaces, a powercore firewire DSP unit, and an access virus TI), less headaches when upgrading drivers/software.

And I'm not exaggerating in the slightest, it's a better platform and It's quadrupled my productivity.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

melee beats posted:

How do you like your TI? My friend is selling a Polar for 1500 and I'm thinking about getting it to replace my Gaia

I have a snow and it's great, I wish I'd gotten the full desktop so I could use all 16 instruments instead of 4. You should grab that polar, $1500 is a steal.

RizieN posted:

I can attest to this. Making music on my old PC and making music on my Macbook Pro is like having sex with a condom(PC) and having sex without a condom(mac).

And yet the PC is much more prone to being infected...

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

pass me a natty bro posted:

The Bridge :smuggo:

Anyone else here testing out the bridge?

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

cubicle gangster posted:

I'd actually get max for live if I had that - it cant be too hard to learn how to make a bigger button that does the same as a smaller button. Custom controllers rock.
You could probably whip up most of what the lemurs controls do if you knew enough max.

http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

http://www.touch-able.com/Site/touchable.html

Doesn't even need max for live, although it's honestly the most awesome add on for any DAW ever and for $250 there's no reason NOT to have it.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I love the knobs/faders on my remote SL, they have a unit that's just the controls and no keyboard if that's what you're looking for. Automap is actually really cool if you spend some time digging into it. The key is to not get stuck into live control mode or plugin control mode, if you create Automap MIDI control templates you can assign 16 of them in Automap pro and then map those in Ableton, each on it's own MIDI channel for routing purposes. Then just page through them. I find it's really easy to build up a template, label it as needed, and then use it from set to set.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

The main central knob on the remote SL dials through presets. On mine ableton is preset 38, and automap is 40, so it's just two clicks of the encoder either way.

However you can actually EDIT the ableton and automap presets, and assign buttons to switch to another preset (instead of a noteon or CC event). So for instance there is a whole row of buttons underneath the row of buttons underneath the sliders, and that bottom row is usually unnasigned or if it is, it's to parameters that I don't use that often. So I've reassigned the most lower right button of the controller to switch between the two presets, so in the automap preset that button switches to the ableton preset, and in ableton it switches to automap.

But more important is, when in automap mode, you can use the browser to quickly switch between different elements that are being controlled. There are four groups:

User - Midi client maps (very powerful)
FX - plugins (VST, AU, Ableton etc)
Inst - Instrument plugins
Mixer- Hui mixers (which can include ableton if you have it in HUI mode)

Using this browser allows you to quickly move through elements in a live set.

The User/Midi client maps are the most powerful. The automap software client has a virtual MIDI port that ableton recognizes. There is a dropdown menu to enable the MIDI channels of this virtual port, and for every channel you enable you get an automap template to create/edit. Each template can have multiple pages that you arrow through with the arrows next to the LCD screens, your only limitation is the 127 CCs and 127 note events that you can program, and that's for EACH of the 16 presets.

So for instance I have a template I made for my access virus TI and access virus Powercore plugins. It's about 6 pages, and each page deals with a different element of the synthesizer (oscillators, filters, effects, LFOs etc). Every knob is mapped to a relevant CC and is labeled so that the LCD scribble strips let me easily tell what knob does what. I can load this template onto channel 10 of the Automap user/MIDI channels, and then in ableton I can have my access virus plugins only listen to input from channel 10 of the automap midi port. I can then load another template onto channel 2 of the user/midi channels, and this template is mapped to ableton devices and controls to handle delays/beat repeats for specific channels/instruments. Then I use the browser to select which preset is currently in focus on the hardware controller. If I want to mix in ableton I flip back over to the ableton preset, and then flip back when I need to tweak the cutoff and resonance on the virus.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Are you triggering audio samples? Double click the sample and make sure that you've loaded the sample into ram (click the "RAM" button). The more you do this, the more RAM you need, but this eliminates disk seeking from the equation.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

LouietheCuban posted:

Go on...

Check your master tracks. You can select which outputs the master output use, and you can select which outputs the cue out uses. Then I believe you can change the solo mode to cue mode, so when you solo a track it goes to the cue out without affecting the master out. I'm pretty sure this works like a DJ mixer setup, meant to be used with the crossfader feature. Have you looked in the live manual? Search for "Cue out".

Also each track has selectable inputs and outputs. These can either be other tracks, or they can be "external". So you could set a track to EXT out and then choose which out.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Are you pretty sure the Lambda has two outputs? Or are you kind of sure? How much money did you spend on an audio interface without knowing for certain how many outputs it has?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I think something else is going on there. You do realize that in ableton there are no mono or stereo tracks, there's just mono or stereo source material?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

OR you should figure out what's actually going on, because you are implementing a workaround that you shouldn't have to.. Something isn't right.

In other words this isn't Ableton's fault. This is your audio interface, the driver, or something that you are plugging into the audio interface. Your workaround is going to require twice as much hard disk space, processing, and ram.

Have you tried switching to input 2?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Three Red Lights posted:

How would I get a delay that comes in on the left channel, but the track itself is panned right?

I want a lead in the right channel to bounce off in the left, but when you pan the track right, it pans the whole thing including delays.

Use a send.

edit: OR, create a new channel, set it's input to the channel you want to delay, turn on the input monitoring. Put the delay on the new channel and then pan as needed.

edit2: Beaten like a runaway. Also the effect rack is actually a good way to do it. I've been using effect racks more and more as a way to reduce the amount of sends and extra channels I use, being able to map parameters to macro controls is very useful. The only limitation I ran into was wanting to have a "send" like control to the different chains in the rack for automation purposes. If you just automate the volume of a chain, then when using a delay you can only control the output of that delay. You can't send it a signal and then let the tail repeat by itself.

My workaround for this was to put a volume control in front of the delay in the FX chain, however I discovered that Ableton doesn't have a plugin that lets you attenuate the volume of the signal all the way to (-inf) (or if it does I couldn't find it, someone feel free to correct me). The Compressor volume output only goes down to -32db, the utility plugin maybe a little further but neither went to (-inf).

To get around this I just built a simple max for live patch with a volume control that goes all the way to (-inf), and then mapped the volume to the macro controls. Now that macro acts as a send to the effect.

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 14, 2010

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

You can. However you can use dummy clips from another track to automate the track that your clips are playing in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Sorry that should have said "you can't". And from my experience, when you record a new audio clip it overwrites all automation, automation is tied to the audio.