Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Sync sends that pulse/heartbeat to keep slaved midi instruments to the same bpm. Or, you could have Ableton by slaved to that device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Plavski posted:

Which reminds me... I've been trying to setup my regular QWERTY keyboard as a loop triggering one but when I assign the keys, only a few work.
You have to turn off the qwerty keyboard->midi notes thing. I forget how to do it but I think the icon is a like 3 keys on a piano/keyboard.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

SkandalousPanda posted:

I'm looking for a relatively easy way to set up a chopped and screwed type of effect. I'm looking for something I can do in a live setup. Obviously I need to slow the tempo down but what type of effects does live have that will let me repeat the last segment or skip ahead slightly?
Double time the sample bpm to slow it down, put a beat repeat on that channel, put it in [ins.] mode, put chance to 0%, put the grid to 1/4, assign the repeat button to a key.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

EMUpirate posted:

I'm having to take my Ableton project and move it from one computer to another. Are there any steps/shortcuts I can take besides the obvious, move everything over then hotswap the locations? My biggest fear is losing all of my warping settings, but I think that's just me feeling like I have to worry about something.
I used to set up sets on my desktop, then save them as self-contained and move them to my laptop for playing out, with absolutely nothing lost in the project. Shouldn't be a problem.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Incorporating some midi drum pads in to your setup to trigger Ableton would rule. I never really thought of that kinda setup, I always think about real and electronic drums seperately.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

I have it pointed to the directory in preferences, rescanned. Under plug-in Devices its just blank. Is this where I should be looking?

Is it pointing to the directory of all your 3rd party VSTs? "Program files/VstPlugins" i think is the default.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

TylerK posted:

I have some questions regarding cleaning up a set.

I record directly into arrangement view one track at a time. Sometimes if I gently caress up in the middle of a track, I'll drag the end of the clip to the left to cut it off and then resume recording into a new clip from that point onward. I've noticed that if I double click on the first clip, it still retains all of the original take, gently caress up and all. Hitting Ctrl + J consolidates it so that everything after the cutoff is no longer part of the clip, but what if I have a file full of these clips that need to be consolidated? Do I have to manually do it for each clip, or is there some way to do it automatically for all clips that I have in the arrangement?
May I ask why you want to consolidate it at all? Afraid of wasting space?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

chief touching you posted:

If you bought 8, the price to upgrade to 9 would be very cheap though, right?

Not VERY cheap. 7 -> 8 is like $200.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mandals posted:

I'm debating whether or not to upgrade to 8 from 7. Does anyone know what going to 9 from 7 may cost, using the jump from 6 to 8 as a guide?

Well to upgrade 1-6 to 8 is $289, so I assume it'd be similar.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Otach posted:

can someone fill me in on the advantages of Ableton over FL Studio? I'm currently using FL to make experimental/atmospheric/breakcore/industrial/acoustic stuff.
I do breakcore too, and I'd say stick with FL. I've just never been able to do as much "hosed up poo poo" in Ableton, or at least not with the same ease. I used Ableton all the time to dj and for some one off, straight up songs. But Fruity Loops playlist and sequencer and piano roll and routing are so much more intuitive and useful for me for doing hosed up rolls stutters and the like.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Otach posted:

cool, thanks. do you have any examples of stuff you've made Manolis?
http://www.sosimplerecords.com/album/11 that's probably the best one i've done. thanks for the interest. it sounds like you're just starting out, but if you've got anything to check or wanna shoot the poo poo about beats, feel free to contact me.

quote:

I still may check Ableton out.. one of the main things I've been trying to figure out is how Danger creates his sound. Or rather what he actually uses
its hard, it takes some skill, but you can get a lot of millage from pushing poo poo to the bring. distort and compress the poo poo out of everything. get some side chaining (i like FL's peak controllers a lot) going, ducking stuff left and right. you can do it.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 15, 2009

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Plavski posted:

When I listen to Daft Punk - Alive 2007, I can hear all the Ableton effects :) When I listen to it I can visualise everything they're doing and in what plugins and stuff, it's quite fun.

Once you know the sound of a beat repeat, you can't unhear it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

If you do that, tell me how you like it. I've been wanting to purchase Max for years (sooo over PD), but just could never justify it. That pricepoint is much more appealing.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

You can do it however you want. With a box with two outputs (really, just rca and a headphone), you can crossfade in ableton. With a box with 2 or more stereo outs, you can run it to a mixer and do you cueing and crossfading on the mixer. Its really what you want to do. The cheaper route would obviously be to mix in Ableton.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

FLX posted:

Is it possible to multitrack-record from several input devices simultaneously (e.g. from a USB input device and the computer's internal soundcard line-in)? I did this in Audition a couple of times, but it seems I can only select one input device in Ableton and then only route the device's channels to separate tracks.

EDIT: Also, since I only got Live Intro, I wanted to ask if anyone could recommend me some free Dynamics VSTs, like a Multiband Compressor and a Limiter.

No, not from multiple devices. I've heard you can gently caress with ASIO4ALL to hack it, but I'm not sure how.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I'm am so loving giddy.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

That's a crazy thing to want it to do. I suppose you should just start your set by launching that clip, it'll work exactly the same

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

You can have a clip mapped to a midi key. Live's versatile, but there's no way it'd allow for you to do this crazy, obscure thing.

Ableton really isn't that versatile. Its a blank slate that gives you the ability to do so much, but you can't do too many mind bending things with it. Play some clips, route some audo, maybe have some clip events go off, but nothing that crazy. Max4Live does give you limitless possibilities, but Live itself it's not particularity versatile.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I saw something a few months back about a way to do networked audio in Ableton-- it's hard for me to track it down because so many people are talking about network MIDI (which owns btw). Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I also guess it could be useful to know about multi-channel support in Ableton, but I'm sure there are other resources for that.

There's gotta be some way to do that with JACK. http://jackaudio.org/

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Hip-hop-o-pot-o-mus posted:

I think you guys will appreciate this. This is The Glitch Mob's live set up. I know this beast interfaces with Ableton somehow and is controlled by a set of 3 lemurs and a handful of other midicontrollers.

lol when i saw them back in the day it was 2 laptops, 2 trigger fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Hip-hop-o-pot-o-mus posted:

It was just Edit and Boreta back then correct?

Ya I think that's right. Or edit and ooha or whatever his name is. It was 2 people.