Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ananke
Mar 13, 2004
the blandest of the bland
For anyone who is wanting to get an APC, I'd suggest calling up any shops you have around first. I called my local Guitar Center and they had 2 in stock, so I picked one up today before half the websites out there were even allowing orders again. The clerk told me they weren't selling out super fast or anything.

I love it! It's so nice to have actual controls instead of having to sit down and mix everything with a mouse. I'm not sure how much I'll really utilize the performance aspect of it since I use Ableton to record rock songs, but there is a huge amount of control that I've been missing.

Only complaint so far is that it is not liking songs I already mixed down in 8 before I purchased it. I'll arrow between devices but the knobs will continue to control the first device. Trying to shift between controls in a device causes the APC40 to freeze and become unresponsive, requiring a reboot of Ableton.

Works like a dream on anything new I put together, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ananke
Mar 13, 2004
the blandest of the bland

Yoozer posted:

I must be sounding like a broken record right now but do you work primarily with Session or Arrangement view, and would you consider it useful for Arrangement view too?

It depends on what I'm doing, honestly. I don't use Ableton for electronic music, I use it to record rock and metal. Sometimes if a song calls for a live feel, I will strictly use Arrangement and record different tracks in one or two take, similar to other DAWs, without warping them. Through this method the clip launch grid kinda loses it's purpose, but the rest of the controls work in the same way. It's nice to be able to mix in Arrangement without having to switch to session view like I used to. Also makes me use my ears more.

I barely use the grid in an instrumental sort of way at the moment, and I feel like this has still helped with mixing and interacting with Ableton. The device controller is awesome and EQing stuff is much simpler. It was difficult to get my MIDI controllers to allow me to EQ more than one track at a time, so this really helped with that.

Plavski posted:

Is there a matrix step sequencer in Ableton?

Not out the box, although it will be a common feature once Max for Live launches.