Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

prom candy posted:

I just got my M-Audio Axiom 49 as an upgrade from my Oxygen8 in the mail today. Does anyone know where I can download Live templates that make good use of it. Failing that, anyone want to just make recommendations on how to get the most out of a decent MIDI controller? Usually I just assign knobs and stuff as I go, but I feel like I'm missing something because it seems like people have much more advanced uses for their controllers and don't have to spend a ton of time on each new project setting them up.

It's easy as hell - you just go up in the top right and click the little midi button, click the one you want to assign, and move the slider around. I'm doing this out of my head without the program in front of me so there might be a step I'm missing but it's seriously like 1 - 2 step process to assign anything to any control.

I usually assign stuff as I need it so I don't waste all my controllers on "Aftertouch Panning" or something I will never use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

You didn't understand his question.

I definitely do understand the question, but my answer is that I think templates assign alot of useless poo poo so I just assign everything myself and choose not to use templates.

This goes for all the programs I use - I used them at first but I quickly got sick of changing 90% of the defaults anyhow.

edit: this doesn't make me "correct" it's just how I choose to use the software

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 5, 2009

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

h_double posted:

:bravo2:

See, I never thought of it in that way. That's a dope use for templates, and I could see using it almost like project macros where you just load up the "drums for making breakbeats" project, or something.

But I also make the devil's music that's usually a James Brown break with a sped up Billy Holiday sample over it and sell it for half a mil so what do I know.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

h_double posted:

Check out Live's builtin Beat Repeat effect; it is pretty powerful although I found it a little confusing at first so you might want to go look up some tutorials on youtube or something.

The dbBlue Glitch VST can also do some sample chop effects; it is free and pretty cool, although it has been used to death so please at least spend some time tweaking the presets.

These are both ill. If you want it tripped out you might also appreciate Supertrigga, but it is less controllable.

Some of the reverse and beat repeat functions yield dope results, especially if you let the loop play, record the output and just use the especially interesting bits.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Plavski posted:

This might be a simple problem but I've never encountered it before: I'm trying to freeze a track with a vst effect on it and it keeps setting the automation to zero. My clip has automation in it and I thought freeze was supposed to keep all the automation intact?

Anyone know how to stop it from screwing with my automation?

I think once you record, or write the automation to it you have to disable recording but still allow reading for that particular sub-track (I might be thinking of Cubase however). Can you see the envelope and confirm it is in fact receiving your automation data and storing it?

You might also try manually drawing in an automation point at the beginning and end that will denote that everything in b/w is automated. Sometimes programs need to bump into a point before it starts picking up on the automation.

Both of these solutions are pulled out of my rear end and will need to be verified when I'm not sneaking on here between emails at work :(

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Apparently Glitch is aptly named.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Just got 8 finally after using what my brother calls an "ancient" version (7).

Seems to not gently caress my poo poo up as much so far...

h_double: i cleaned my room today and found those stickers i made for you about 6 years ago (audioforest?) i think it was you or maybe haoma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Yeah man, it runs sooo much cleaner I can tell there's a huge performance tune-up as well...

I got some tutorial DVDs as well from my bro that I'm gonna watch, but holy poo poo.

This, coupled with NI Komplete is absolutely revolutionizing my workflow right now, once I get the MV-8800 in the mix with the EPS and the MC-909 my poo poo is gonna be poppin.

I got a few of those stickers left if you want any for old times sake.