Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

You're going to be hard pressed to find a powerful laptop for less than $1000. With that in mind, I'd get a laptop with the best CPU and the most RAM you can for the money.

:(

I've got the same issue, and if youre not set on a mac I've found PC laptops with comparable specs for 600 bucks or so. Are there specific things you should look for when buying a laptop for music? I'm too poor to pay a premium for a mac for no other reason than "every dj I see uses one"

btw I make tracks in ableton and it runs like poo poo towards the end when Ive got 12 tracks or so and lots of reverb and delays running, I'm not sure if abletons a resource hog or my computer just runs terribly but I'm betting its the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

A powerful CPU and lots of fast ram are what you want to look for in a laptop for music production. If you don't need it to be mobile you get more bang for your buck with a desktop.

Something that might help you is to set up sends to handle effects like reverb and delays if you're using the same settings on them. You can have one instance of the device instead of one for each track. Another is to freeze and possibly flatten tracks. This renders them into audio with the effects on them, taking the load off the CPU. To do this right click on the track header and select freeze from the context menu. To flatten it do the same procedure after flattening, but be aware that you can't undo a flattened track.

Yeah, I've started freezing stuff and it does help a little, but I think to keep things spontaneous and have difficulty with the commitment of freezing stuff.

Regarding getting a new computer, is there a big difference between dual core, core duo, and core 2 duo processors for music production?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
No tips but vocoding is way tough unless you just have a legit synth with microphone setup :\

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Got a maybe dumb question about Rewire. I rewire reason into ableton, but at the moment can only record the audio from reason's synths. I use reason's sequencer (which i hate) and just have audio tracks in ableton for the output. Is there any way I can have a midi track in ableton, that controls the reason synth?