Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj3kF6dt4uo

I'm interested in recreating this kind of set up, but I have no idea where to start. My knowledge of ableton is basic, record > loop > change loop, apply an effect to a whole channel...the basics.

But I'm interested in developing skills like the video above, to recreate shpongle-like songs. I work with a full band, a guitarist/keys, bassist, Drummer/Keys, and me with an APC40 and Axiom25 and I can use another keyboard.

Is he setting a channel with effects then sending certain tracks to that channel and bringing it's volume up at times?

I feel like I'm seeing things happen, but not seeing him make them happen...

Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

D.B. Cooper posted:

edit: most of the effects he's using like reversing, retriger and shuffle are all from the Db_Glitch VST which you can get here http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

Bummer thats PC only :( Anyone know of a similar thing for mac, preferably free, but I could always pay if it's worth it.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I too would greatly appreciate it...

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
APC here and I loving love it.

I'm in a psychedelic rock band though, and my brother is some kind of savant(edit, was kind of joking, not trying to come off pompous; but he's unnaturally good at music, and can't read/write/theorize, but can play anything he hears and jam on anyones poo poo), but he can't play keys and guitar at the same time. So we'll capture his keys and I'll play em with the APC while I sing. When I get better at ableton I imagine I'll get into some really funky psychedelic jams utilizing effects and maximizing the APC's potential, but for now I just capture/load/play clips my brother makes.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 4, 2009

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Yoozer posted:

I must be sounding like a broken record right now but do you work primarily with Session or Arrangement view, and would you consider it useful for Arrangement view too?

I use it pretty much only in Session view, and if I were to record something for the arrangement view I'd do the master record and go at it like a session, then go in with my mouse in arrangement and fix anything I hosed up. But my knowledge of ableton is pretty shallow considering how deep Live can be, I'm sure someone with your knowledge could really maximize the potential. Since you can assign the knobs/pads I'm sure you could customize it to be super useful for arrangement view, though I don't know what you're doing in arrangement so...

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Hey, I'm using a Presonus Firestudio and I just upgraded to Live 8.

I'm at the office right now, so I can't plug any instruments in, but I've got my presonus here cause I was working out some issues with firecontrol when the boss isn't around. What concerns me though is that I used to get options where my inputs are coming and going, but right now they don't show up, see pics:

what I get:

what I used to get:

It seems to me, logically, that I wouldn't actually need an instrument to be plugged in to channel 1 to make my Audio channel receive its signal from channel 1 of the presonus, but is this the case?

Edit, maybe its an issue with my audio driver?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Wow....Feel dumb, but can't thank you enough!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

h_double posted:

Yeah gently caress those guys and their innovative, hand built, well engineered trash.

I think its more a matter of the masses being able to afford quality gear. I've always figured the music gear industry was funded by labels and drug dealers. I know we could've have afforded half the poo poo we had without selling drugs or borrowing from our parents...and we're a little too old to borrow from our parents now...

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Jewellers posted:

Okay so I'm probably gonna invest in a 15" MacBook Pro fairly soon, what would be the minimum spec configuration to get in order to run Ableton smoothly?

The minimum that Macbook Pro's come with is fine enough, though upgrading to the i7 processor and adding memory never hurts. Solid state harddrives are a little expensive right now to go for that, though they load everything a lot quicker than standard HDDs.

If you can't afford any upgrades the normal macbook pro (pro right?) is fine, otherwise at least get the i7, then if you have left overs get some more memory.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Nindoze posted:

i thought ableton doesn't support over 4gb ram?

If thats true then just get the i7 and youre set. I didn't upgrade my ram, have a 4gbRAM i7 and I've never had a problem, even when re-wiring my CPU load seems to never get up to or above 30%, and thats with a shitload of loops/tracks/effects.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Jewellers posted:

That's cool, thanks :)

How much difference does hard disk RPM make to performance level? (I'm sure this is all very basic, but my knowledge about these things isn't too hot)

I haven't been into computers and their spec's since I got my first mac and stopped building gaming rigs, so I may be off a bit, but its basically just how fast it can access the data stored on the disk. 7200rpm (don't think Macs even have 7200 option) or 5400 isn't going to make any kind of difference in your musical performance. And Solid State (expensive as poo poo right now) isn't worth it, until it gets cheaper (unless you've got money to burn).

But shchmue is right, a stock macbook pro is going to be leagues above most other PC laptops that aren't specifically geared towards music production/performance. And he's right, there's not a HUGE difference between i5 anf i7 processors, but on paper and technically the i7 is better.

Basically though, I feel you will not regret any Macbook Pro you purchase.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
You wont regret it.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

RivensBitch posted:

Lower latency, higher track counts, more real time inputs with real time effects on them, more plugins, fewer (if any) crashes, more reliable sleep/wake time, more compatability with hardware (I have several different audio interfaces, a powercore firewire DSP unit, and an access virus TI), less headaches when upgrading drivers/software.

And I'm not exaggerating in the slightest, it's a better platform and It's quadrupled my productivity.

I can attest to this. Making music on my old PC and making music on my Macbook Pro is like having sex with a condom(PC) and having sex without a condom(mac).

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
All I know of is the quantize setting under 'Launch' (the L to the left of the E) in the clip view. I don't think this is exactly what you're asking for, cause it means you have to go in and change clip settings, can't really do it on the fly while playing live, which if there's a way to do that I'd sure like to know to.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

I r Pat posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm in the market for a new computer soon and I'm exploring all my options. I do photoshop work and I'm starting to get into producing music with Ableton, so a Mac may be in my future!

I used to be a stupid PC purist, building my own PC's from scratch (i didn't solder mobo's but I put my own poo poo together), 'can't upgrade a mac' I'd say. Well little did I know that you rarely need to. I started in film school, and got a Mac (Powermac G5 Tower) after using Final Cut Pro on my friend's mac, and then I got into graphic design and noticed how much better my Adobe Suite was running on my mac. Ended up getting a Macbook Pro for/from work(dropped out of film cause I got a job) so I could create at home too. Everything just runs smoother and I can't really remember if I've ever had a crash, or driver issues, or any issues.

I still had my PC though, and loaded up ableton onto it, and used it for a while, got discouraged, didn't come back to audio until I got Logic for my Mac. Loved it, decided to get Ableton for my mac, and aside from creative droughts, its been full speed from there.

Mac's are just simpler, work better, and i guess look cooler. Of course this is all anecdotal, but you're gonna get a hell of a lot more people agreeing than disagreeing.

Sorry if this dragged, but I think a Mac is a very smart investment.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I have an APC 40 and haven't hosed with music in forever, but I imagine I could re-map LPC-Live to work on my APC40, is that correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Awesome, I think that's enough to get me back into music as a hobby, and not kill myself if there's no snow this winter.