Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Can someone tell me how to use EZDrummer in Ableton? All I can find is the 'plugins' button on the left, which lets me select the EZ drummer folder, but I can't figure out where to go from there and open the drat thing.

I've googled it but can't seem to find any instructions. Not ones that seem to work for me, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

h_double posted:

I haven't used EZDrummer specifically but it's pretty easy loading plugins into Live.

1) Go to Options -> Preferences, click on the File Folder tab, make sure the VST Plugin Custom Folder is pointing to the right location (plugins can also be located in sub-folders from this path). Click "Rescan Plugins" just to make sure Live sees everything in there.

This is as far as I get. I've selected the folder with the EZDrummer library-- it's got its own little black-and-white file icon as well, so I presume that's where it should be pointing-- but I see no EZdrummer listed in the plugins panel. :( Any ideas? Should I take a screenshot maybe? I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid.

I know the software works because I got it running in Cubase.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

That worked! Thanks a bundle, guys.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Is it possible to get Ableton to only warp parts of tracks, rather than entire tracks?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Plastic Snake posted:

Like what warp markers do?

Warp markers, eh... *investigates* ta.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

thArf posted:

Delete all the automatic warp markers and just put in your own. You always have to have at least 1 marker though.

I'm not completely sure how this works. Read some online tutorials but I'm having trouble picking out the piece of information I want. I want to do something pretty simple-- I want it to warp one section of the song to 120bpm and leave the rest alone. Putting markers either side of the section I want doesn't seem to do the trick. Help...

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Plastic Snake posted:

Cut out the 120 bpm section into a new audio clip, double that clip's bpm, and then splice them together again.

This ended up being the easiest solution. Thanks for the help guys.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I'm giving Ableton a try after months of loving about with Cubase and Reason, and I have a stupid beginner's question. So I have a few different beats and basslines programmed in, playing along to my audio clip... but I can't for the life of me figure out how to sequence the beats so don't just loop over the audio-- I want them to trigger only at certain points in the song. This is a really basic thing but every tutorial I've looked at doesn't seem to cover it! Help!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Oh, that makes sense. Except my pasted midi clips don't seem to be triggering the instruments, which is confusing me... the scroll cursor hits the midi in arrangement view but no sound comes out. What else am I missing?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Right, and I have my Impulse drum beat clip pasted into the horizontal Impulse track in arrangement view, but still no dice...

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

colonp posted:

Click the purple pinkish button up top at the transport controls.

That did it. Thanks a lot :)

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Okay, here's a small thing I haven't figured out yet. How do I apply effects to individual components of Impulse (eg the snare) without applying them to the output of the whole device?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks for that, I'll try it out!

Next question. This one's a bit more complicated. I sampled a piano chord and decided to turn it into an ambient drone-type sound. I was playing around with a flanger and discovered that at the right settings it begins to play a cheery litte tune. Listen: http://popcorn.gunsha.com/humloop2.mp3

That little up-and-down melody is generated purely by the flanger from a heavily-reverb'd piano chord. I love the sound, but now I want to get rid of the phasing/flanger effect (the sort of vowel-opening-and-closing sound). Is there some way to do this? Perhaps by changing the settings of the flanger or recreating the melody with something else?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I am finding that many of my tracks have a bias towards the left channel, even when they (and every panner I can find on effects etc) are set to centre. Anyone know what's up?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Reality Is Digital posted:

That's strange. It could be your ears if all of the monitors are telling you that stuff is centered, or maybe it's some effect or instrument that naturally pans the audio that way. So, you're track might not be panned at all, but the effect just puts audio information into the left channel as part of its process. You could pan the track right to try and compensate, but I think it would be better to find out what's going on that's causing it to do that.

It's definitely not my ears-- the levels are showing me they're off-centre.

The main offender is a track that has a very small audio sample being put through a million reverbs and delays to make an ambient noise. As time passes it seems to lose one channel, but never completely. I'm assuming it's something to do with the original audio signal.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

When I use my mic with Ableton I get latency. If I reduce the latency in Ableton, it distorts the audio.

I didn't have this problem with Cubase, which was on a different (worse) PC but was using the same soundcard (Alpha Lexicon).

Any ideas?

edit: just reinstalled Cubase. No lag there.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 16, 2010

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

BittyWings posted:

Popcorn: are you using the supplied Alpha Asio drivers? They are the only ones that seem to work properly with it: even the mighty Asio4all doesn't seem to like the Alpha. Since using the latest Lexicon drivers, I have had no problems at all, even with NI stuff like Absynth and Guitar Rig, which never tend to play nice with Live.

I have the latest Alpha drivers installed, yeah... but is it possible Live isn't using them? Can I check that?

edit: so I didn't realise you could set different drivers, and now I'm using the right ones, it's working. Thanks!

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 17, 2010

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

So I'm still getting my weird panning problem. Some of my tracks are louder in the left channel than the right one, and I don't know why. Someone look at the channel levels in this screenshot (set to the 'simple bass' track) and tell me where it's coming from. I feel stupid. :(

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

colonp posted:

It might be something in the menu for the other Amp envelope. Look under Pan Mod.

Assume I'm a total moron and I don't know which menu you're talking about. :(

Computer Jones posted:

edit: I wanna know what "spook" is :iiam:

I'm afraid that's highly classified information.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks for the advice re: the panning issue, everyone. I ended up using Utility, which I didn't realise existed. That's another useful tool in my belt!

Would have posted this in the "tell me how to recreate sounds" thread but it appears to be dead, no-one responded to my last request there, and I'm using Ableton exclusively now so would appreciate an Ableton-specific response... (:D)...

Can someone tell me how to create that hissing snare/hat sound in Ultravox's classic song "Vienna"? It sounds like gas escaping. Listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9WdUgn0XkU&ob=av2e&t=1m48s

Is that just a sample or some kind of effect?

A similar effect can be heard in Radiohead's I Might Be Wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOa--Dhu11M&ob=av3n&t=4m7s

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Okay, I'm sort of getting it, but I'm still too dumb to get it 100% yet. I can't actually get the length of the noise to last long enough! The note is quite short, even though the midi note is very long-- is this to do with my ADSR, which atm I only half-understand? It doesn't matter how much I fiddle with the settings, the note always sounds the same length.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

None of the ADSR settings seem to be making a difference to the sound of the note! Help, I've gone disastrously wrong.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Here's a screencap I just took: Anything obviously wrong there? Is something turned off somewhere?

I'll post the session if that still doesn't help. (I don't know how to post sessions yet you see)

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You guys are badrear end.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Yep, that filter envelope thing is new to me. That has given me exactly what I wanted. Brilliant!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

My ceaseless quest for knowledge continues to... not cease. I want to apply a single effect to three tracks and control them with one volume slider. I assume I can do that by creating a new track and sending the audio from the three tracks to that one track... but when I do this, the new track doesn't give me any audio. What's the deal?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks, Mister Speaker and BittyWings. :)

Next question. Is there a way to set delay to infinite feedback in Ableton? I used this technique in Cubase to make a single sample drone forever without having to retrigger it. Is there a smarter way to do this?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 28, 2010

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I can't get any of those methods to work yet, but that's because I clearly don't understand those tools... but, uh, to clarify a bit, I basically have a sample of me going "oooh". (It's not as gay as it sounds, honest.) If I just retrigger it then it goes "oo-oo-oo-oo-oo" and I don't want it to have those discrete stop-start clips. I want it to be one long smooth ethereal "oooooooooooooooooooooooh..."

In Cubase I'd achieve this with an infinite delay and heavy reverb. Delay still does the trick in Ableton, but it eventually runs out of juice and I have to retrigger the sample. Will the methods you guys mention give me the effect I so desire?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Anyone used Vocaloid with Live as a VST or with Rewire? I can't get it to work.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

In Cubase once a bloke managed to reduce background hiss in one of my recordings by using some kind of plugin or Cubase function to sample the hiss in isolation (in a quiet moment of the recording) and using that to eliminate it across the whole track. Does anyone know what this process was and how I can do it in Live?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Yoozer posted:

Create a channel, put the clips with the background hiss on it, and put Audio Effects > Utility > Invert over it.

I don't get it. I did this and it changed nothing.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Three stupid questions about Live.

1. Is it possible to reduce the grid to a higher res than 1/32? For drums in particular I often want the 1/64 you get in most DAWs.

2. Likewise, is it possible to get things to snap to grid like in other DAWs?

3. I'm having a really frustrating problem this evening where my plugins have stopped opening their config menus when I click the wrench icon. Why the hell is this happening? Other sessions don't have the same problem, it's just this one session. I've tried copying the tracks into a new session but the same problem occurs. Is the window hiding somewhere?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Ace. Thanks on those two points at least. They've been bugging me for months.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Nope. :(

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

For some reason the plugin window just reappeared. I have no idea what that was all about. Weird.

Here's my next stupid Live question! Can I split a track signal to send it to two effects simultaneously (without chaining the effects?) I'd rather not duplicate the entire track.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I've been using Live for months now and I'm pretty comfortable with it (though you might not think so from some of my questions in here :D ), but I've never used racks. Time to read some tutorials!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Can anyone recommend a good introduction to amateur mastering? I'm putting together an EP of tracks and I know nothing about mastering them, or even completely what mastering is.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

quote:

Mastering is the final part of the album-creation process, after your tracks are finished, and your mix is finalized. Traditionally, when you master a record, you generally optimize the average/peak volumes of all your tracks, use various tools (eq/compression/etc) to make them all sound like they come from the same place, figure out how each song starts/stops (space in between tracks? crossfade?), and prepare the final CD master for replication (master track log, cd-text, etc).

Yep, this is exactly what I need. Any good guides online?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Any recommendations for free distortion VSTs? I miss Reason's Scream 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Is there a way to slice/divide audio and midi files in Live like you can in Cubase?