Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Volvagia posted:

Sorry if this has been asked, but does anyone have any cool tricks on how to make Reason sound less 'Reasony' when rewired through ableton? I've tried lightly effecting the entire channel, but everyone I show my stuff to can still pick out that (relatively) cruddier Reason sound.

I've never really had a problem with rewired tracks sounding "Reasony," but that may be primarily because of how I approach it. I'd suggest avoiding most of Reason's effects (it's a pain in the rear end to automate them anyways when Rewired since you need to use MIDI rather than basic automation), and skipping Reason's mixer like the poster above me suggested is a good idea as well. However, it's a bit silly to suggest that Reason itself is at fault for the bad sound -- Reason can sound really great, and there's plenty of big names out there who use it.

EDIT: I should also note that layering is your friend. That goes for everything, but Reason in particular seems to take well to it. I always used to try to get huge sounds out of one synth and get really frustrated with it, but since I've become a Combinator/Ableton Instrument Rack whore I've had a lot easier time getting the sounds I want.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

stun runner posted:

Reason's synths (maelstrom and thor, anyway) are actually really tight and sound great rewired directly into Ableton. Use the External Instrument thing and you can play MIDI clips in Ableton straight through Reason, it's awesome.

The Maelstrom is seriously awesome. I never recognized how great it was until recently, but drat does the distortion on it sound neat. It can make some really cool sounds.

EDIT: Also I'm totally falling in love with Analog after spending some time with it trying to recreate synth sounds. You can do a lot with just it and the Ableton effects:

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 11, 2009

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

dookie posted:

I'm ready to make the switch from Reason to Ableton. But one thing that discourages me every time I attempted to do this was the drastically different workflow. I never use any of the step sequencers or patterns in reason, which I am assuming is a major thing in Ableton. Also in reason, I would just use the pencil tool, draw out a measure in the sequencer, double click that, and pencil in each note. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this in Ableton. This is probably the silliest of silly questions.

Two ways:

In session view, just double click on the clip section and set the bar length. You can then drag it into arrangement view. In arrangement view highlight the section you want to put a clip into and press cmd+shift+m (ctrl+shift+m on a PC)

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

mezzir posted:

Shittttt that sounds phat

prom candy posted:

That sounds awesome, how'd you make that?

Thanks! Like I said, I've been really impressed lately with Ableton's built in synths. They sound alright without effects, but when you start putting the Ableton effects on top of them they sound really great. I can't wait to buy an APC and have dedicated controls for them so they feel more like instruments rather than plugins. The basic patch is this:

On top of it I've got some overdrive, reverb obviously, compression, and an EQ. I also cut out the really low frequencies and threw an operator with just a sine wave under it for sub bass so the lows are nice and clean -- it's not necessary to do that, but I think it generally sounds a lot better. Then I automated the filter and amp envelopes and reverb mix to get it to open up like that.

You can actually see what I'm automating in those screenshots by looking for the green dots. Those denote which parameters are attached to macros on the track's device rack. Devices racks are really great since they save you from having eighty different lanes of automation, and let you do really complex changes with just one or two knobs. Plus they just look a lot cleaner.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Yoozer posted:

:words:

Or you could always just load the white noise sample that comes in the Ableton library into a Simpler and go hog wild. :v:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

h_double posted:

The part I don't know how to do is to bind an arbitray CC# to a control surface.

This has driven me nuts for a long time, and I don't think there's any way to do it. At least I never figured it out. If you do figure it out definitely post how you did it.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
I've been enjoying the resample function of Live a lot lately:

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 21, 2009

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

stun runner posted:

In other words I spend $300 to turn my APC into a monome and then I get all the max stuff on top of that. Good deal 8)

I'm honestly not that impressed with the integration currently. It's very cool to have Max inside Live, but it feels really unpolished and not like something that should cost me $300. It's like an early beta rather than the near-complete product.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 5, 2009

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

rustyw posted:

I know applying a filter to a sound changes the sound's phase, but why is the sound's volume increasing? My resonance is set to not boost any frequencies at the cutoff, so I don't understand...

I found that the Auto Filter boosts levels for some reason. It kind of sucks, so I use a utility to trim the level pre-auto filter a lot to compensate for it.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

h_double posted:

- Can't record automation data into clips (Ableton claims this would require a pretty fundamental redesign of the program and is unlikely to happen anytime soon)

This is seriously my biggest complaint with Live. I love it to pieces but this limitation can be infuriating at times.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

colonp posted:

I am unimpressed with the modulation routing options in Operator. Can't do LFO -> Volume, only one LFO, no extra envelopes either. Are there really not much at all of that, or am I missing something?

Clearly, since I do LFO->Volume in Operator all the time.

EDIT: Try reading the manual.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 27, 2009

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Dopo posted:

Yeah, complex and complex pro are the only two warping methods that should be used for full songs. Complex pro is definitely preferable if your CPU can handle it.

i've never really noticed that big of a hit between complex and complex pro, honestly. Pro sounds great though -- it gets rid of a lot of the smearing of transients and the occasional digital noise.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Thank God for this:

quote:

Dear Ableton users,

Some of you have experienced and reported problems with Live 8 several months ago that we have still failed to fix. This is both painful and necessary for us to discuss. We owe you sincere apologies, as well as an explanation and outlook for the future.

Ableton values quality over innovation. Our engineers will stop whatever they are doing to fix a bug when they become aware of it. They must, however, rely on a process that prepares the incoming information and funnels it to them appropriately. Establishing and maintaining this process is the responsibility of management -- particularly us, Bernd and Gerhard -- and this is where things have gone wrong while we let our attention divert to ambitious new projects.

Our apologies also extend to both the Ableton developers and tech support colleagues because they want to be proud of software and service that users love.

We have now decided to:

suspend all development towards new features while the whole team joins forces to address the current issues. This effort is open ended and will result in a free Live 8 update;
make process changes to prevent similar situations from happening in the future.

We hope this plan finds your understanding and agreement. We'd like to wish you a very happy holiday season and a wonderful 2010!

Gerhard Behles, CEO
Bernd Roggendorf, CTO

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132761

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

mezzir posted:

Anyone know what the best way to render each track individually in a song would be?
Want to try collaborating with a friend who uses protools and I figure sending him the stems is the easiest way but idk the best way to make them. I'm thinking maybe freezing each track then finding the freeze folder and just .rar'ing those?

Pretty much. Live's lack of a decent stemming feature (as far as I'm aware, anyways) sucks.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

EMUpirate posted:

The time I did I didn't like the sound of it. My brains are actually working now and I think I know how to fix it.

You could always just make the knob that turns up the overdrive turn down the volume at the same time.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Splinter posted:

Is there a way to make the master tempo follow the tempo of a warped track in Session View?

Yup -- if you click on the "Slave" button below "Warp" it will swap to "Master," putting it in control of the master tempo. You can rename scene launch buttons to BPMs to have them change the tempo if you want, too.

EDIT: Wait, gently caress, for some reason the first one doesn't work in session view. That's bloody peculiar. The second trick still works, though.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 23, 2010

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

thArf posted:

I have 8.0.3, if I make a project and you guys open and save it, will I lose the ability to open it? I have been able to open all the als files from ableton.com

It won't open.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

thArf posted:

Terrible =( it's going to be a couple months before I can upgrade - I'm a little low on the $$.

Not as fun - but we could work on exported audio tracks so anyone on any DAW can contribute.

8.1 is a free upgrade. :confused:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

cubicle gangster posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a sidechain going on, but instead of controlling the volume can control some normal automation?

So that whenever the kick hits it dips the cutoff on a filter for example, or changes the wet/dry on some other effect?

Oh hay:

http://www.puremagnetik.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=259:max-fuel-the-first&catid=94

You'll need M4L, though.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

cubicle gangster posted:

If any of my previous efforts with that kind of thing had worked at all and I knew i'd use it, i'd already have it. Unfortunatly I dont think I can justify it :(
I want to be good at that kind of thing so bad. Tried pure data and max/msp before, both went so far over my head it's not even funny.

All of those effects are premade and ready to go. :confused:

quote:

Can you get a sidechain to be inverted? Like it gets louder when theres the kick?
I just thought I could do a wet and dry version, then have 2 going swapping between the two. haha.

I'd rather not use envelopes - the track controlling it would be muted and I want to be able to control it from a distance - long release, live trigger poo poo.

I would probably just bounce down the two versions (effect/no effect), load them up into Samplers/Simplers and trigger them like that.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

RivensBitch posted:

You can't route outputs from a multi out plugin within a chain, your best bet would be to have multiple instances of the plugin and solo each isolated frequency range within each instance of the plugin

You can also just do that with the built in multiband compressor.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Computer Jones posted:

It blew my mind when I first saw that you could unfold the Drum Rack in the mixer and get at all the channels individually :monocle:

The only thing that stops me from using the drum rack is that you can't use global sends, only the drum rack's internal sends, on individual hits. If you want to use a global send you have to send the whole drum rack to it.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

colonp posted:

You can route the sound going to the internal send to the global send. Doing that does disable the send knob going from the Drum Rack to that global send though - I do not see the logic in disabling that, but there you go.

How to:
Making a drum rack send
Routing it

Very interesting! My only question is does this have the latency issues that I run into a lot with Live and complex routing? I get frequently get phase issues when routing a send out to another track and have to use the track delay to get it right, which is always surprising given Live allegedly does delay compensation.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
^^^^Nevermind, I see the problem. Gg dumbass

Ghost Robot posted:

So I just got an APC20 for Christmas, and I was eager to plug it into my version of 8.1.1 to start playing. The problem is, 8.1.1 doesn't support the APC20, so I had to use the Akai Pro version of live that comes with the controller. Now, for *ahem* certain reasons, I can't update to a newer version, but I still want to use the APC. Is there any way I could just install the midi settings for the APC 20 into my version of Live? I tried copying over the APC20 folder from the newer trial version into the 8.1.1 MIDI Remotes Scripts folder, and it shows up in the list of interfaces, but I can't get it to work. Is there something else I need to do?

Update Live so it has APC support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Can anyone suggest some good simple video tutorials that explain the poo poo-basics of Live?

Use the tutorials built into Live.