Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
I'm looking for a relatively easy way to set up a chopped and screwed type of effect. I'm looking for something I can do in a live setup. Obviously I need to slow the tempo down but what type of effects does live have that will let me repeat the last segment or skip ahead slightly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
I'm having a very weird problem that only seems to happen in Ableton. I'm using an Axiom 25 controller, and trying to assign different clips to the keys. When I midi map the keys though I also get the sounds of a piano when I activate a clip. I don't have any other instruments or Vst's open so I'm not sure where these sounds are coming from. It only happens when I use Ableton so these sounds have to be coming from somewhere within the program. When I actually record they don't appear on the track though. I googled this and found one forum post with someone who had a similar issue. Someone responded mentioning something about CC numbers when MIDI mapping but I wasn't totally sure what these are or how I could set it up with Ableton. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
PC

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
I'm in the market for a pad controller to use with Ableton's Drum Racks. I've been looking at the M Audio Trigger Finger and the Akai MPD 24. I'd like to mimic a hardware sampler, but was wondering which of these controllers integrates best with drum racks. I was also considering the launchpad, but the fact that those pads aren't velocity sensitive kind of turned me off. Any thoughts?

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
How much is this APC 20 going to cost? I'm wondering if it's a better option than the launchpad which I was considering picking up soon.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
I was wondering if anyone knew an easy way to set up my midi controller to easily scroll through a drum rack. Right now I'm using the Axiom 25 so I have 8 pads that correspond to the bottom 8 slices in the drum rack. My current solution is to set up a scale effect that transposes up by 8 steps. I turn this effect on or off to move up and down the drum rack. Anyone do something different that might work a little easier? My method kind of limits me to only 16 slices but I figure there should be a way to scroll up and down a much larger rack.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
Another question for you live experts... I don't own an APC 40 or launchpad but I like the fact that they create a grid that you can move around to be able to launch clips. I'm picking up a 16 pad controller (korg padkontrol) and was wondering if I could set something similar up with this so that I wouldn't have to map each individual clip launch. I know that I can map buttons to scroll through different scenes, and then launch individual tracks, but is there anyway to create a setup where I'd have a 4x4 grid that I could move around in all directions, using my 16 pads to correspond to whatever 16 clips the grid was highlighting?

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
Oh ok, I had read about the 16 different scenes, but I didn't know they would all be separate notes that I could map. Looks like that should give me plenty of flexibility.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
I think Live just guesses the bpm so it's not always accurate. Depending of what warping setting you have it on you should be able to tell Live what the original tempo is. Trying changing the warping to complex or pro and then make the tempo of just that sample 90 bpm. Might take some playing around but you should be able to get it.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
So I own Live 8 and I've mostly been using it to sample, which it's great for. Now that I'm getting more into production though I'd like some instruments to play around with. I'm having trouble deciding whether I should upgrade to the boxed Ableton Suite and get the Essential Instruments Collection, or if I should get NI Komplete. Komplete clearly comes with more, but how would you guys rate the sound of its instruments compared to what I'd get with Suite? The sound quality is definitely more important to me than having 6 synths, 4 pianos, etc. I have used Guitar Rig before with a friend who plays, so I'm leaning a little more towards Komplete, but Suite would give me Amp which seems pretty comparable. Any advice and pros/cons, especially from people who own both would be much appreciated.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've ordered Komplete!

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
This is one thing about the software that could be improved upon. What I do to get around it is use a program called Music Math that let's you plug in tempo values and then tells you exactly how many semitones and cents you have to tune up or down to get the sliced track in sync with your other clips.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
http://vimeo.com/27310423

Saw this video on the Ableton Facebook page. Really creative use of the software with a live instrument. There's also an article that went with it that showed how the full band links up all their gear. Check it out:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/09/turntable-meets-cello-sax-laptop-how-archie-pelago-uses-the-bridge-and-ableton-live/

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Do digital pianos like this one play nice with Ableton / work well for synths? I had been considering midi keyboard controllers like the Akai MPK49 or Maudio Keystation 61 but being able to play without a computer and having fully weighted keys seems like a big plus.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/casio-cdp-120-88-weighted-key-digital-piano

Decide whether or not you actually want weighted keys though. If you're trying to learn piano it's great to have but if you're just using it to play back synth sounds then it actually might not be what you're after. A lot of hardware synthesizers don't have weighted keys and sometimes they can be more difficult to program if you're not a piano player.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
Fuckin March 5th yo!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
Ordered mine 3/5, just shipped today from GC. Letsgetitshawty!