Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
well, I'm all in, I guess, so I'll probably be peppering this thread with annoying questions eventually.

After years of making do with Studio One at a surface level, I sprang for ableton 11 + m4l + max crossgrade (I have synth modules and things that need `gen` functionality to flash; I see workarounds to getting this going in m4l with max7, but, in for a dime in for eight hundred dollars, in this case).

It took me about 20 mins to rebuild the simple but functional audio and MIDI flows that I had set up in Studio One, and then another 20 mins to get a FCB1010 midi pedalboard configured to control a vocoder VST (so I can footsie my VST while I play sax through it) and another 20 mins to understand how to arm recording, record audio from my modular rack while also consuming a clock coming from the same place, and from there I had the :lsd: trip experience of loving with the tempo in ableton and having it seemingly magically sound reasonably good at tempos set in Ableton from ~40 - 340. Neat.

I am trying to understand what workflow I should build for myself, as until now I've basically used the DAW-on-PC as a glorified recorder with some post-processing for compression and EQ/etc, and used Gadget from an iPad to send some midi lines into a modular rack which is otherwise controlling itself. So, now I have that same setup, but it's all clocking a KSP which is in turn clocking ableton (and able to do the somewhat limited midi->CV translation that KSP can do).

My DAC is a Tascam 4x4HR rn, which is DC coupled and I believe I should be able to use the CV tool to send CV from the DAC outs into rack, using proper Tiptop cables designed for this, and realizing that I may need to use an in-rack VCA or voltage block to move voltages into CV range. We'll see when we get there.

I grabbed a Launch Control Pro XL MK3 (used, $90) to use as a control surface because it looks to me like it can switch and arm tracks for recording easily, which I cannot do from the Keystep. I've also got a nanokontrol2 and nanoStudio Keys set up controlling gadget, so, at some point i'm going to need to get rid of about 75% of that before I go loving insane.

I'm not looking to buy a Push any time soon, but, please encourage me to hemorrhage more money in any ways that seem helpful. (I did look at a used push 1 vs the Launch Control MK3 but decided on the latter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

ben shapino posted:

not specifically ableton live related but i just got a PC with windows 10 preinstalled and get a lot of crackling through my Motu M4 audio interface unless I put the buffer size really high, like 50ms of latency as a result. windows 10 was like 15ms without issues.

anyone have any experience getting windows 11 to perform as expected with a DAW?

I've used win11 with studio one, ableton and reaper with a UMC404HD as well as a Tascam. I appear to be using the maximum buffer right now, but on this device that is 256 samples @ 96khz so that is, uh, 2.7ms latency which is barely noticeably as a slight reverb effect when the DAC is 50/50 mixed between input vs computer. My latency problems show up when I dump gobs of VSTs on stuff in real time, as you'd expect.

Are your overall levels good? Motu M4 looks like basically the same specs as the tascam I have.

e: i stand corrected; I am indeed using 256 samples, the device goes up to 2048 so that's more like 20ms which would, indeed, piss me off.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

that sounds extremely annoying and you're into a level of windows audio system interactions that I am clueless about. my own default behavior would probably be to sigh and try a clean OS install, and not whatever the preinstalled/OEM build was.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

:dogstare: and I almost went with a Scarlett over the Tascam

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Wild guess it's going to be some unrelated windass background bloat auto update throwing interrupts

well, one upshot of this is that I found out from Ben's posts that "Wallpaper Engine" exists and now my PC is less efficient

https://i.imgur.com/wRGqTM6.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

TheGoonspiracist posted:

I've been running Ferromagnetic on osx, and having a music visualizer as a background really is the future we were promised.

That would have been smarter, as I have thrown several thousand dollars down the LZX rabbit hole building analog video synth paths that are audio responsive. It's a background for my whole room, on a bigass projector screen plus a CRT & LCD :laugh: