Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

stun runner posted:

Couldn't you just automate the volume for the entire track or am I missing something?

Yes, that's how I do it, but it's much simpler in other DAWs as mentioned. Acid Pro has the same functionality, and it's great for fading out transients or whatever. That's one of the biggest things I miss having in Ableton.

Is the upgrade to 8 worthwhile? I have 7 Suite, and I'll move up eventually, but I'm just wondering if I should bother at the moment, as cash is a bit tight. What are your favourite improvements over 6(or previous versions)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
I'm actually curious about this too. I have an Edirol FA-6 at home, but it doesn't have dedicated headphone volume controls, which is a must. That mbox2 looks super sweet, but the price tag makes me cringe. Is there something I can get on the cheap with no extra inputs?

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

pennywisdom posted:

The studio I'm at right now has the waves gold plugin pack, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end to manage in Live. It installed the Waveshell.dll file to the plugin folder, and to use any of them I have to open the waveshell in the plugin window, then scroll wayyyyy the gently caress down to get to my beloved RComp.

Is there a way I can set some of my favorite plugins as favorites so I dont have to scroll through this bitch of a list?

I don't know how either, I have to do that every time.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
So I've been having a hell of a time trying to get tracks to sound good and not warp like a bitch in Live 8. I'd taken to not warping on transients, or switching depending on the track. Lots of tracks still didn't sound super great, and even with what appeared to be razor-sharp custom warping, many of them still didn't keep very good time. On a whim I decided to try "Complex Pro" and see how that worked.

2 hour flawless mix, no additional warping or futzing done. If like me you were having any issues with warping your tracks, give it a shot. This may have been obvious all along, but I never really investigated the different warping methods too closely.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

squidgee posted:

i've never really noticed that big of a hit between complex and complex pro, honestly. Pro sounds great though -- it gets rid of a lot of the smearing of transients and the occasional digital noise.

My PC is pretty beefy, so I never gave it a second thought, but I'll try complex on my laptop, in case I need to save some juice.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Has anyone tried using an APC40 and a Launchpad together? I'm trying to plan out the setup for our live show, and I'm trying to figure out a controller configuration such that we can both "do stuff" and have a fair bit of control over what we're doing. I was thinking about doing a 2-laptop setup, but we'd like to keep our budget low for the moment, so we'll just be using my Macbook Pro. I have a Launchpad, a Nocturn and an MPK49, and he's thinking about getting the APC40.

We're planning on using loops of our own material through Ableton, and attempting to compose on the fly. I set up 2 groups of 4 tracks, to sort of emulate a traditional 2-channel DJ setup. The tracks in each group consist of Percussion, Bass, Melody, and "chug"(our term for a 4/4, break, or whatever that is the basis for a groove). However, I'm finding that it really isn't enough channels for percussion, so I'm debating whether or not to just build some "progression" loops that have other parts layered in. It's already going to be a bit of a challenge, as the group tracks mean there are 10 total, which push 2 off the Launchpad grid. I was thinking about adding more tracks, but they'd be off the grid too, and off the monitor.

Sorry if this is rambling. I'd be interested in any input you guys have towards performance and hardware with Ableton.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Mental Filler posted:

Seems fine to me. Only minor issue is why the crossfader never seems to default to anything. Or maybe that's deliberate. who knows.

I get this as well, not sure why it's the case. I just map it to the last CC(#127). Only other issue I've had is with the speed dial not focusing on a control, but instead just moving my mouse diagonally(????). Other than that, I love it. Definitely a great compliment to the Launchpad.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Wow, for some reason I never really considered cutting up a track into smaller pieces. Do you guys export them as individual files, or just keep them as new clips with different loop regions?

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
I've got a question about synth parameter automation. I've done tons of automation before, but I seem to have trouble with a few soft synths. I was working on a new track with a friend, and we want to automate a filter sweep with Superwave. We try changing parameters on the synth, but nothing is populating in the parameter dropdown menus. I loaded up a few different synths, some work, some don't. Has anyone else had this experience, and is there another way of doing it?

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
I'm having an issue with playback. Whenever a new clip launches(or loops), I get some static, so it isn't perfectly seamless. I've played around with the buffer size, and that doesn't seem to do anything. It renders just fine, this is only during playback. I'm using an Edirol FA-66, and I didn't have these issues on my PC before it died. Any ideas?

Edit: Looks like it's just with the complex warping modes. While that's not the end of the world, it does happen pretty much every time when used, so that means I can basically never use complex while playing live. This really sucks, because sometimes the track is too fast/slow to use re-pitch, and beats doesn't sound all that great with long/rich samples.

xpander fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 10, 2010

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

I r Pat posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm in the market for a new computer soon and I'm exploring all my options. I do photoshop work and I'm starting to get into producing music with Ableton, so a Mac may be in my future!

My anecdotal experience is much the same. I produce on a PC at home, simply because my studio partner is also on a PC and we need to share VSTs so that our projects open. I use my MacBook Pro for mobile production and performance though, it's been way more stable than any PC I've ever used.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Zok posted:

In a massive fit of gear lust I lashed out and bought an Akai MPK49 to have a bit of fun with. Started having a bit of a play around in FL studio a while back, then switched over to Ableton before I got too involved because it seemed like more serious of a program that was capable of much more. Still at the 'tutorial' stage of things really, but hopefully the pads and keys and faders etc... will keep me occupied for a while.

Wish me luck!

I have an MPK49, and I love the poo poo out of it. It's a real tank of a keyboard, it will serve you well!

If you have any questions, about the keyboard or Ableton, you're in the right place. :)

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Regarding the synth automation chat, I've encountered a couple that just plain can't be configured for automation(Superwave and Atmosphere come to mind). Everything else I've used has either worked out of the box, or was able to be configured for parameter automation as described above.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
I'm sure I'll be just the first in line to tell you this, but you need to mix on monitors. That's pretty much the end of it. I just finished a remix done entirely on my studio headphones, because I have a grounding issue with my sound device that I couldn't be bothered to sort out. Welp, flicked on the monitors to have a listen over the hum, and the kick sounds WAY different. Keep in mind these weren't tiny-rear end earbuds, but actual good headphones. Until you can audition your track on a half-decent set of speakers, it'll never sound right.

Are you running anything else on your basses? A bit(or a lot) of compression probably won't hurt. Also it sounds like you're not doing this, but in case you are....you probably don't want to run the same EQ settings on both basses(i.e. keep the low boost on the sub, low-mid on the high bass).

Post the track and we can give further critique!

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

I plan to have one station trigger drum tracks from a Launchpad or APC40 with the rest doing other bass/lead stuff. Thinking of having one doing live vocal retriggers/loops (but I might get a Korg Quad for that instead). Either way, I figure its the easiest way to everything in sync with a bunch of LFOs going, etc.

Then again perhaps I am truly overcomplicating things.

Not sure if you've tried this yes, but you can have both an APC40 and a Launchpad plugged in at the same time, and they get selector boxes that are coloured differently. So you can have each them controlling 8 separate channels, which is exactly how I intend on setting up our live show. Of course, my ancient MBP might choke running 16 tracks and effects at once...

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

mindphlux posted:

anyone using the novation sl mkii keys with ableton? thinking about getting the 49 key one, and am hesitant because reviews on different sites say vastly different things about the adequateness of the automap thing.

my last keyboard had no automap and basically was next to impossible to map sliders to anything easily. I want everything to just work - like I want to load up ableton, click a knob, twiddle the knob I want to correspond to it, and it's done.

preferably everything on the keyboard would also default to something too, so I don't have to start from scratch. Is a MPK just gonna be inherently better at this?

For the most part Automap is fine - quite powerful, doesn't get in the way. My anecdotal experience is that it does not play well with others; we've had a hell of a time using an APC40 alongside it(frequent lockups/crashes). Also it kept losing the mappings file I saved for my partner's configuration, so I'd have to remap on occasion. These are all recent developments, and our setup is kind of weird, so YMMV.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Looks like an Ableton clone called Bitwig Studio is on the way courtesy of some former Live developers.

http://bitwig.com/bitwig_studio.php

Their LAN-jamming stuff is something I've dreamed about for YEARS(though I realize it doesn't exist yet). Hope I can get in the beta.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

I and Frau posted:

Why does Ableton's track tempo analyzer suck so bad ???

I've been using Ableton for a few years now, and used to have Live 7 however many years ago, and upgraded something like a year ago. I was basically still just learning it the whole time I had 7 (so i never knew it THAT well), and then didn't touch it for a year or so between upgrading.

Ever since I've been using the upgraded version, though, it seems like the track analyzer is just WAY worse than I ever remember it being. It barely ever even starts a track in the right place. Even when there is nothing but blank space between the track start and the first beat it'll more often than not put the start marker somewhere off in the middle of blank space, or else starts on the second of two conspicuous beats for no apparent reason, etc. And for any tracks it doesn't get right it floods them with completely wrong markers.

I'm also pretty sure I remember using the last version like three years ago and mostly just being able to drop tracks in and have them working fine by default about 80-90% of the time.

I've been annoyed with this for a while but I just bought a Traktor S2 a week or two ago and the Traktor software is almost IMPECCABLE at track analysis. I have yet to find a track it can't analyze properly (and this is drawing from the same music pool as i previously was putting into ableton). At worst, I'll need to move the first downbeat marker maybe 25% of the time but it's never very far off so this takes two seconds and usually can be done by eye without even having to preview the track to notice it. And then after that it's completely perfect.

I'm just confused how the folks over at Ableton lost their lead in something like this, considering how good they are at pretty much everything else. Did something happen between version 7 and 8, or am I just remembering it incorrectly? Or maybe I have some obscure setting set to something weird?

More importantly, I guess, is: is there any way to erase ALL warp markers from an analyzed track? I don't see any menu options for this and it's a major pain to go and remove 50+ incorrect markers from a track just so I can start doing the legwork of putting them back in by hand...

(The Traktor S2's and S4's are awesome, by the way; anyone who DJs will love the poo poo out of them provided they have the money to drop on one. The S2 is crazy on sale right now, though, and it's worth every penny.)

Right-click on the first warp marker, select "Warp from here(straight)". That will clear all the warp markers after the selected one. It is unfortunate that their auto warping sucks, but you just gotta deal with it. I can warp any track I know the BPM to in less than 30 seconds, easily. Here is a pretty boss method:

1) turn off auto warping of long samples in your preferences
2) find track BPM
3) set project BPM to the above number
4) enable warping on the track
5) zoom in on the first beat, set a warp marker there
6) right click, select "Warp <x> BPM from here"(I don't think this step is really necessary, as it should warp it at the project BPM, but I've encountered weirdness before)

You might want to quickly zoom in and check later parts of the track, as you occasionally run into a hardware-produced track that doesn't have a perfect clock. But once you get used to it, you can pretty easily warp 4/4 tracks in 10-15 seconds. Another trick if it's got an ambient intro that you want to keep time on: go to the actual first kick you see, set that as 1.1.1, then change the start value to go backwards(this is to the right of the warp button). For example, if it's got a 32-beat intro, just set the start as -32. That will move the cursor 32 beats back. Right click that, set as 1.1.1, now you have your perfect 32 beat lead-in intact.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
OK, it's time for MIDI sync chat again. My roommate has finally gotten himself a laptop, and we've gotten the sync working, and can mostly play in time. The problem is the "mostly". When we were running over wireless the drift was unacceptable, no big surprise there. So we tried ethernet, and while it seemed stable(128.03 to the master's 128), this still results in loops sounding out of time, ever so slightly. As long as it stays that way, it's probably alright for live shows, but I want it to be perfect. Is there such a thing? A friend suggested trying Firewire instead, but OS X's Audio MIDI Setup reports 0ms latency, so I don't think it's likely to solve anything. Getting 2 external audio devices with MIDI thru is another possibility, but like the previous idea, I think that's just a different pile. Is there a secret I'm missing? Has anyone successfully synced 2 laptops in perfect time?

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Do both machines have external audio interfaces with MIDI? If so, have you tried simply connecting one's MIDI Out to the other's In? I do this with two laptops running Traktor and Ableton and the only sync drift I get comes directly from my turntables - with a solid source like another instance of Live, you should be fine.

One does, one doesn't. I have an Edirol FA-66 and an NI Audio 2 DJ, the latter of which has no MIDI ports. I'll tell him to buy something with MIDI, and maybe we'll finally have it licked. Thanks!

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Well, we managed to borrow our neighbour's MOTU Ultralite to test the MIDI sync thing. It's better than ethernet(I think?) but certainly not perfect. We still experience drift, which is anywhere from "barely noticeable" to "the drunk girls don't care, but the heads do". I'm hoping the lovely club system we're playing on tomorrow night will make it more forgiving. I would do terrible, terrible things in search of the answer to this question.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

oredun posted:

Thats the answer. It doesnt work. The only way i can figure you can do it is to sync it to an MPC or something similar. MPCs are nice because they have multiple midi outs and you wont have to chain anything.

But, just give up trying to sync the computers. Its not possible. Every time you trigger anything that taxes the CPU fucks up the midi sync too. If you do everything as audio it helps, but still doesnt fix it.

Well that sucks donkey dong. I guess our live PA is going to have to move to a single machine, and we'll haul around another display. Unfortunately that takes away some of the flexibility we have now. Time to start thinking about other options...

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

blacksun posted:

Yeah thought so. I suppose drift may be too strong of a word, however the midi-sync is never perfect. Good enough to run beatless loops (vocal samples etc), some less time dependant effects (I wouldn't dare use a beat repeat). And don't even dare try to run anything in Ableton if you are doing a tempo change.

Actually we had a tempo change in our set, 128 -> 140. We had to plan it out(I drop out everything, start playing a pad from the 140 track, he fades out his parts except for one that sounded good at 140) but it was basically flawless(as flawless as midi sync can ge). But yeah, not perfect, and can tank at any time if you really peg the CPU. And this was Ableton-Ableton, not Traktor-Ableton, if that makes a difference.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Sorry to keep beating this sync thing to death, but I had a brainwave. It sounds like the issue is the machine generating the clock signal - as soon as it's taxed, things go to hell. What about some sort of third device that is ONLY generating the clock/BPM and nothing else? Does such a device exist? Then both performance laptops could receive the signal only, and that might wipe out the problem. I guess we could do something like a cheap laptop with an external MIDI interface with multiple MIDI outs, but I'm wondering if there's something else cheaper and more purpose built. A drum machine or something?

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Why the gently caress does Live keep resetting my VSTs to initial presets as I'm working? It's infuriating.

Is this after you close and open live? Is it every VST you use, or only a couple? I had an issue with a 3rd party plugin where it would reset to default settings every time I re-opened the project. Turns out it was an issue using their factory presets; if I dialed in my own it remembers them. Also I've had a weird issue with FM8 where it seemed to reset some parameters after I'd automated them, or while riding them by hand during playback. Never really did figure that one out.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
I just got the biggest boner watching that Push video. Wow. I'm going to be giving Ableton a LOT of money this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

CoasterMaster posted:

Newbie question alert :). How the hell does warping work in Ableton? I have kind of a vague notion of what it does and I'm able to warp songs decently as long as they are electronic music and have a pretty distinct kick drum in them keeping the beat. The trouble comes when I want to warp full songs that aren't electronic. I've watched a bunch of videos and done some reading, but I still don't get what goes on 'under the hood.' What does a warp marker (and transients) actually do? I want to try my hand at remixing and making mashups (loop based a la Girl Talk and otherwise) and this seems like a crucial step :). Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Honestly, you're probably going to have to keep reading analogies until one clicks. Hopefully one posted in here does!

I think of a warp marker as an anchor point. Imagine that same rubber band analogy, but you also pinch off a number of places so that the warping applied on one side of the marker doesn't affect the other. Ultimately, you're trying to make up for the variable timing in human response: you want to even out those tempo changes. Warp markers let you adjust the tempo between them.