Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

magnificent7 posted:

I'm considering moving over to Live from Cubase. Would Live be good for capturing a live band? Multi tracking audio instead of midi stuff?

It is suited for wav files, VSTs, side-chaining, effects sends, etc?
Yeah, it does everything Cubase does. It's a bit of a different interface, and you really have to explore the program to actually use it efficiently, but the good news is Ableton has ReWire capabilities, so you can hook it into Cubase in the meantime when you're still learning the ropes. When Logic doesn't match tempo the way I want it to, I always throw the sample into Ableton and just ReWire it over. Ableton's timestretching capabilities are very easy to understand, you just move the markers to where each beat is and go from there. This is especially great for samples that are played by live musicians who don't have the best sense of rhythm, Live will speed up & slow down depending on the distance between markers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

h_double posted:

Also it looks like Max for Live is out now; they sent me an email offering me an upgrade sale of US$458 to upgrade Live 7 -> 8 ($179 by itself), plus Max for Live.

Anybody had a chance to give it a try yet?
Jesus CHRIST MFL looks loving awesome. And only a $99 upgrade if you already own Max5!!!

I hope my copy of Max works with it (its legality is questioned, got it off a friend)...

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
If we have Max5 or MFL questions, should we post them in here? I'm thinking questions of that nature are probably going to take up a lot of space...should we start a seperate Max/Jitter/Max For Live thread?

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

RivensBitch posted:

What is Max4Live missing compared to Max/MSP by itself? I've been resetting the 30 day MAX trial for a while now and have been debating which is the more useful purchase, Upgrading live 7->8 and getting max for live, or getting max/msp.
From what I understand, MFL is basically the same thing as Max/MSP, except instead of making standalone applications, you're creating extensions to Ableton Live. It all depends on what you want to use it for, really.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

Radical Cut posted:

Are you eligible for a student discount for Max? Getting it and the MaxForLive crossgrade is only 50 bucks more than buying only MaxForLive.
Does that work? That makes Max/MSP/Jitter and Max For Live total about $350.00, right? I just want to make sure before I order anything that I'm not gonna have to buy essentially two licenses to use Max...