Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

Kai was taken posted:

I carve it up.

Take your EQ, take one band, crank it up as high as it goes, keep the bandwidth narrow as it goes (so basically you've got a flat EQ with one huge bump sticking up). Slowly sweep the EQ up, listening carefully. When you find something that sounds like rear end, reverse the gain (notching it out). Repeat.

By doing this you can cut out the lovely sounding frequencies of other sounds. Things like bass and vox can be tightened up by notching about 500hz, synths and electric guitars grate less if you cut around 3k, etc. There's all sorts of lovely-sounding frequencies that exist in sounds that you can cut out with this method.

Do you just use EQ Eight for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005

Sharktopus posted:

LIKE ME

http://sharktopus.com/live/CHORD_TRIGGERS_live8.als

Here is all of the chords from the chord pack set up with some ghost clips to change key and all grouped up and ready to go.

If anyone here starts using this live or even just at home I'd be interested in hearing how useful it is. I just spent like an hour setting it all up and now I'm about to play with it.

Is there a way you could save this as Live 7 compatible? I've been following this thread like mad because I'm always hungry for more tips and tricks to use in Live and what you were talking about sounded really cool, but I can't afford to upgrade unfortunately :(

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005

See where I've put the ping-pong delay? All I did was double click the snare drum so its Sampler shows up and drag it right after it. If you look closely it's still inside the Drum Rack, not after it. If you put the effect after the entire Rack it will affect all the samples.

Plavski posted:

Do I have to load the drum up on an individual Impulse/Simpler pattern and do it that way?

All a Drum Rack is is a bunch of individual Samplers in an easier to use interface.

Plastic Snake fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 11, 2009

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
Create a new track, set the MIDI From to the track with the Random MIDI effect on it, and record a clip.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
Not free, but Sugar Bytes Effectrix is the best I've found.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
Yeah, if you go to your other projects in the Browser in Live you can drag and drop any or all of the components between sets. If you drag the entire project it'll just add all of those tracks to the ones you already have open!

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
In my experience, hot swapping MIDI works fine on OS X but on Windows they have to be on before Live is opened.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005

mezzir posted:

I assume he's talking about from 7, 8.0 is still pretty new

He said he has 8.0.3 so it should be okay

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005

pennywisdom posted:

That's not what I wanted to hear :(

Does it run everything great natively, or do you need to get some asio drivers or something of the like?

Nope, ASIO is a Windows-only workaround, OS X has Core Audio which works pretty well, but ideally you'd be using an external sound card.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Is it possible to get Ableton to only warp parts of tracks, rather than entire tracks?

Like what warp markers do?

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005

Popcorn posted:

I'm not completely sure how this works. Read some online tutorials but I'm having trouble picking out the piece of information I want. I want to do something pretty simple-- I want it to warp one section of the song to 120bpm and leave the rest alone. Putting markers either side of the section I want doesn't seem to do the trick. Help...

Cut out the 120 bpm section into a new audio clip, double that clip's bpm, and then splice them together again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
You've pretty much got it, tracks are stereo by default in Live and a microphone is a mono signal so you just have to change the input to whichever channel you have the microphone plugged in to.