Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm building a ghetto Ableton pedalboard out of an old 104 keyboard, and was wondering if anybody had any tips on figuring out how to change programs in Guitar Rig (running as a VST) by some sort of key binding. Am I going to have to slog through the mud with some keystroke -> MIDI -> Ableton -> GR gauntlet, or is there another way? OS X 10.6 on a Macbook.

E: Self-answered a few pages back, it looks like I need to create a MIDI track, add some clips (? on this) and then set them to send program changes to the GR rig channel. Then I can keybind those clips. Am I barking up the right tree?

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Played my first live show with Live and Guitar Rig.

Yeah thats a PC keyboard with most of the keys ripped off.

To get a general idea of what I was getting at here's the keymap

Basically a Guitar Rig sent to four Loopers, with some drums to back it up.

The MIDI channel sends notes to Guitar Rig for program changes and function switches.

Tons of fun, buying a FCB1010 and a real control surface ASAP.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Popcorn posted:

Whoa, are you using a PC keyboard as a foot pedal? That rules. Rock n roll. How does it work?

It's all just Live keybinds.

On the numeric pad, I left 2 and 9 on, which are bound to those top two MIDI clips. Those are non looping non quantized clips that just send short single eighth notes of different pitches to Guitar Rig. GR then uses these for the "previous/next" patch.

The next 4 are bound to 2, 5, 8 and = , and send different notes to GR, to individually toggle components of GR. ie, on my 'clean bass' patch, the buttons are:

-Graphic EQ toggle
-Ultra low toggle
-Reverb input mute
-Chorus on/off

whereas on my "dirty bass" patch, the buttons are:

-Graphic EQ toggle
-Drive toggle (goes between two preset levels)
-Flanger on/off
-Octaver on/off

That's the GR side.

For the Loopers, I have bound z,c,b,m to the big Looper multifunctional button. I also bound those to just click on the track name to bring that Looper to the front.

I kept the Caps Lock key on, and that is because i bound Z,C,B,M to solo for each of the Loopers.

Other than that, the qwerty row is bound all the way across for 'backing drums' and patterns, and the asdfg row to my main breaks. There are beat repeat toggles and tweaks on this row, too. I figured that I could take my hands off the bass for a second to twiddle drums, so just trigger those from the keyboard.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

magiccarpet posted:

Kinda stuck on this one...

I'm the new proud papa of an Analogue Solutions Leipzig-S, which is a hardware synth with its own step sequencer and ver basic MIDI. I can get signal in/out of Ableton without a hitch, and I can get it to stop and start when the DAW runs, but it won't set itself back to the first step when this happens... I have to manually step through to get it back in time before I start the playback.

Does anyone know of a way to send a MIDI command out to set a stepper back to the first position?

Thanks!

That thing looks weird and neat! I found this:

"Sequencer reset is handled via accent (or using heavy velocity on a MIDI note)."

in a press release. Can't find any more details quite yet.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Not really the perfect thread for this, but I thought I'd share a picture of my in-progress Live pedalboard.

4 switches for 4 loopers, 6 more buttons for fx/patches, and a shift key.
Soldering begins in a bit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT 2: Hmm. Maybe it IS supposed to work like this? It appears that the first clip is what you really played, and the second is the same material with quantize applied. After some experimenting it looks like I'm always ending up with at least 2 subclips if I let the loop complete at least once. This seems different from Live 8, but I'll have to go back and check.

This is correct, and is intended behavior as far as I know. It's done so that you can Undo once to yank the quantization easily.

e: I have a question. I'm finishing up a foot controller with a UMC32, and have eight channels set aside for LEDs. I need to receive MIDI notes to turn these on and off. How would I set up Live to *send* MIDI remote information based on status - for example, track mutes? I can deal either with momentary or toggle note on/note off pairs.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm rebuilding my custom midi looper/controller foot board, and was wondering - does anybody know how if there's a way to map a midi note send to a button or controller in Live? Meaning, my interface board can not only take "footswitch in -> MIDI note out" which i'll be using to turn loopers on and off, but can also receive MIDI notes and toggle LEDs, etc. I'd like to put a couple status LEDs on the controller for the looper status / channel arm for each one.

e, followup q: is there also a way to set up a 'scene change' with one midi note from a controller? meaning, say i have a launchpad-ey type thing and some rows are for turning individual loops on and off; is there way to map a note to 'no matter what's playing, turn on the second loop slot on these four tracks' ?

edit 2: found the scene triggers in the Master track, that's exactly what I need for question 2.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 22, 2021