Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Apologies if there's a better thread for this. Anyway: I'm having trouble recording my synth using Ableton Live 6 and my M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Basically, all my recordings come out sounding like rear end, even though everything sounds fine when I record using Audacity. I've tried all sorts of combinations of buffer size/driver error compensation/sample rate but nothing seems to make it sound right. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

D.B. Cooper posted:

Have you tried using asio4all?

http://www.asio4all.com/

Isn't that just a workaround for cards without official ASIO support? I have official ASIO drivers for both my audio interface and onboard sound.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Vanmani posted:

Are you sure you're not doing something retarded when you record, like recording a mono signal using stereo inputs? Make sure you're selecting the right line in on your audio track in Live. Also, I dunno about your audio interface, but make sure Live's audio settings are set to the same sample rate and bit depth as the audiophile. Do not assume it is set to 24 bit 96khz just because it is called 2496.

Well, poo poo. I've been recording the stereo output of my synth, but the patch doesn't have any panning, so I guess that's the problem. Now I understand why my other (mono) synth sounded fine :doh:
Thanks!

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Computer Jones posted:

Apologies if there's a better thread for this. Anyway: I'm having trouble recording my synth using Ableton Live 6 and my M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Basically, all my recordings come out sounding like rear end, even though everything sounds fine when I record using Audacity. I've tried all sorts of combinations of buffer size/driver error compensation/sample rate but nothing seems to make it sound right. Any ideas?

It seems it was Ableton's warping that made it sound poo poo. Turning off "Auto warp long clips" fixed it.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Yoozer posted:

original (a resampled Synth1 minor chord, standard Detroit fare):
http://www.theheartcore.com/music/white_src.mp3

Add the effects listed above:
http://www.theheartcore.com/music/white_src.mp3

Were these meant to be the same link?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Yoozer posted:

If you're OK with hitting pads with your fingers, Akai MPD-series.

There's also the Korg Nanopad if you want something a bit cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-H2twMYI4w

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Lewk posted:

I may be goign about this the wrong way, but is there a way to do sort of 'logic' operations in Live? sort of like Follow on actions I guess. I'll explain what I have here.

3 kick drum patterns, all triggering the one kick drum.
1 kick pattern which is very low, rolled off at 138hz, to provide some 'subliminal energy' if you will. Obviously this creates a bit of a mess at the low end with 2 kick patterns, so I do the opposite filtering on the first three kicks. this unmesses the low end. However, when the 4/4 kick pattern is playing, i'd like ableton to automatically only use the filtered drums.

so basically, play patterns 1-3, IF kick 2 is playing, only play patterns 3-7. this probably doesn't make sense but i'm trying to explain it as best i can...

I'm a little confused here, but maybe you could use sidechaining to mute one set of drums while the other is playing?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Otach posted:

maybe if someone with a good amount of experience with both FL / Ableton can fill me in on why I should explore this reportedly orgasmic program further

Fake edit: I typed a load of stuff about how working with audio sucks in FL, but from the website it looks like they improved that stuff a lot since version 7 (I can't say for sure, though).

I'm a former FL user who switched to Live mainly because FL crashed way too often and I preferred Live's more flexible arrangement view.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Otach posted:

I'm aware of his experience with chiptunes, but when I tried gathering some sounds from chiptunes programs It got kinda confusing and I came up fruitless

Try stuff like this:

-the "C64 sound": lots of pulsewidth modulation and superfast arpeggios, check out softsynths like Unknown64
-sampling: old hardware samplers had pretty low sample rates, giving things a "crispy" sound full of digital noise. Grab some sort of sampler, some interesting samples, and play around with bitdepth and sample rate. You can also get "bitcrusher" VST effects- CMT Bitcrusher is a good one.
-FM synthesis: the lovely, cheesy sounds of the Yamaha DX7 and its ilk. Good for basses and metallic sounds. Again, often had a pretty low bitdepth/noisy output. Check out stuff like FM7.

Then, er, compress the gently caress out of everything.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

h_double posted:

Is there a way to manually assign a particular MIDI CC to an automation control?

I was literally about to come in and post this (specifically mod wheel and pitch bend CCs)

I'd love to do this inside the piano roll bit if at all possible. I'm still using Live 6 though, so maybe things have changed since.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

h_double posted:

If you double click on a MIDI clip to edit it, there's a little round "E" button in the lower left that you can click to get into envelope edit mode. From there, you can add envelopes for any MIDI CC, which you can edit either with the draw tool or by adding/moving automation points.

poo poo, right, thanks! I probably should have had a look in the lessons or something. I'm still interested to know about CC automation too, though.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

KaosPV posted:

What are the main differences between Kontakt and Ableton Sampler? Is Kontakt worth buying or are my sampling needs covered by Ableton Sampler?

I have a few more questions to add on to this:

• Is drag-and-drop sample loading unique to Ableton Sampler or can other software samplers do this?
  • Are there any software samplers with smoothed sample-and-hold as a modulation source?
  • Is there any way to loop a short sustain portion in AS without it sounding like poo poo?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Yoozer posted:

Ableton's Simpler and Sampler allow you to drag in a part of the audio track. That's not in any other software sampler. As far as just dragging and dropping wavefiles goes - Battery, Kontakt and ShortCircuit all do this, but those are all I have.
I thought as much. I was trying the Wusikstation demo out the other day and the lack of drag-and-drop really put me off.

quote:

Looping is hard. Since the waveform display in most software samplers is tiny, you have to zoom in really deep and set the looping points yourself.

There used to be a tool for seamless looping (Antares Infinity) but it looks like it's an early Mac OS (not even OS X) 7 app or something. It still costs clown money, and the newest OS it works on is OS 9, PPC. In the meantime, nobody's made something useful and/or novel in that regard. Too bad, because the actual technology behind it should not be complete rocket science; just a lot of FFT analysis.

Heh, that sucks. If it comes to it, I could probably stretch a sample out in Paulstretch (I believe you mentioned that program in another thread, so thanks again :))

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

rustyw posted:

I know applying a filter to a sound changes the sound's phase

Are you sure about that? I think you have phase mixed up with something else.

the wizards beard posted:

Do you mean the actual volume as seen on a VU meter or the volume as you perceive it? As you remove frequency content it may allow the remaining stuff to cut through your mix better, increasing the perceived volume.

Especially if there's a compressor after the filter or something. As you say, when you filter most of the harmonics out you end up with something like a sine wave- quite harsh-sounding.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Wow, I had no idea. Sorry :)

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Rkelly posted:

I use the Nanopad live 2 times a week never had a problem with it at all and I bent a cord inside the mini-usb input dropping with and my xiosynth down 2 flights of stairs when my back pack broke.

I've treated my Nanopad very, very gently since I got it, it's never been thrown in a bag or dropped or whatever.

Pad #7 is now "sticky" and doesn't always work properly :sigh:

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Elder posted:

I had a couple sticky pads out of the box and Korg was really good about replacing it...how long have you had it?

7 months, and the problem appeared a month ago.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

BUTTERWORBS posted:

Maybe you guys can help me out. I'm a complete moron and I can't figure out how to make my Alesis Micron synth act as a midi controller in ableton. Keep in mind I don't really know anything about anything and have never tried messing with this stuff before.

I have one of those midi to usb cables plugged in to my computer, and I'm messing with some options but I can't make this poo poo do anything for the life of me

Speaking as someone who has one, you can forget about using the knobs and M2 Slider to control MIDI. They use NPRN and it doesn't really work, unless there's some workaround I'm unaware of. The keyboard, pitch bend wheel and M1 Slider work fine, though. As some other people said, you'll need Remote enabled for your USB-MIDI thing under Live's MIDI options.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

mezzir posted:

Let us know how ACE is, cause holy gently caress I loving love zebra

There's a fully-functional (except slightly crackly audio and maybe save/loading limitations?) demo available, give it a try. Seemed pretty drat cool when I checked it out the other day.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

mit_senf posted:

Quick newbie question. How can I run multiple MIDI tracks through the same plugin? For example, say I had two piano tracks, one for the left hand and the other for the right, and I wanted them to run through the same instance of the sampler, but I'd still be able to add effects individually to each.

Put Sampler in the Left Hand track, then set Right Hand's "MIDI Out" to Left Hand. You may have to set Left Hand's "Monitor" to "In". :)

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

h_double posted:

That doesn't quite work. If you want two MIDI tracks to play through the same plugin, you actually need three tracks: an instrument track ("piano") with Monitor set to "In", and two MIDI tracks "left hand" and "right hand", each of which has MIDI output pointing to "piano".

Whoops, sorry about that. I just assumed without testing it :downs:

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

baw posted:

still mixing with Skullcandies because I'm in Iraq and don't have the room for studio monitors

Wow, it really shows. Everything is almost inaudible except for the kick :v:

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Rakshas posted:

Is there a VST or something that simulates real scratching? Doesn't have to be terribly realistic, I just don't want to invest in hardware to do this.

Traktor is pretty good for this, but scratching with a mouse is pretty weird. I'm kind of in the same boat (I want scratchin' in my music) but I plan to just get a single cheap turntable off Ebay or something. :)

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

KaosPV posted:

OK, clipping in Ableton: what the hell am I doing wrong?

When I try to balance the levels of all the tracks in Ableton I almost always get my drum rack track too soft sounding. The problem is that if I set it at a volume I like, the master track meter keeps clipping, particularly at the snare beat. So basically, my snare almost always clips my mix, but if I tune it softer, it sounds weak.

What can I do? When is clipping acceptable?

Well, you could run your snare through distortion or overdrive- those are forms of clipping and they often sound cool. If you want your snare louder than everything else without clipping, you need to turn all the other tracks down instead of turning the snare up.

quote:

Also, on a related note, do your Ableton tracks when exported always sound softer than other mp3? I usually export them to listen to them in my mp3 player and when it switches from another track to my tunes, I always have to turn the volume up because they sound way softer. This is another reason why I wouldn't turn all the tracks down so the snare doesn't clip, because if it does sound soft without doing that, if I were to do that, it would sound really low.

Well, professional music is professionally mixed, basically :)
Popular music often has a fair amount of compression on it too, to make it sound punchier.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

RivensBitch posted:

If you're in ableton 8, you can select all the tracks and then adjust one fader to bring them all down together

poo poo, I didn't know that, thank a lot! :cool:

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

If you're just using it for music there wont be any difference between them anyway - the only time you'll see the OS is browsing sample folders.

There are Windows-only and Mac-only VSTs/AUs, though.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

melee beats posted:

How do you like your TI? My friend is selling a Polar for 1500 and I'm thinking about getting it to replace my Gaia

Gaia SH-01? What's up with it then? I thought they sounded kinda cool.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

LouietheCuban posted:

Here's what I'm getting in the output config. Shouldn't there be more outputs? I'm pretty sure the Lambda has two outputs, I'm not sure why it's giving me this. I don't want to play a show in mono.

If an interface advertises 2 outputs, that's going to mean two mono outputs. Meaning that you'd need 4 if you wanted two stereo outputs.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Popcorn posted:

So I'm still getting my weird panning problem. Some of my tracks are louder in the left channel than the right one, and I don't know why. Someone look at the channel levels in this screenshot (set to the 'simple bass' track) and tell me where it's coming from. I feel stupid. :(

It's hard to say where it's coming from, but you could always pan the track to the right until it sounds OK. I think there are plugins you can use to reduce stereo width as well (maybe check Ableton Utility?)

I've had this kinda thing before where I sampled my synth with chorus on, and as a result the sample was always starting out kinda left-panned because that's where the chorus was at when I sampled it. :downs:

edit: I wanna know what "spook" is :iiam:

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

shchmue posted:

Those are low-pass filter sweeps. Auto Filter should be able to apply a decaying cutoff effect like this. I don't think there's a way to make it retrigger though, and that could force you to use really wonky automation. You probably have to use a third-party plugin, or else re-sample your samples with the decaying cutoff LPF manually applied.

To clarify this, you'd want white noise as a sound source, and the filter should be resonant. Most software synths should be able to do this. Then you can sample it and plop it into a Drum Rack or whatever :coal:

Computer Jones fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 26, 2010

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Thanks, Mister Speaker and BittyWings. :)

Next question. Is there a way to set delay to infinite feedback in Ableton? I used this technique in Cubase to make a single sample drone forever without having to retrigger it. Is there a smarter way to do this?

Simpler has a "loop" button, try that :)

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

I r Pat posted:

Now what I use is drum rack, put everything I need to in there, and it allows me to add effects chains to each individual sound and sample rather than it as a whole. You can still add them to the whole thing which is also quite useful. Drum rack is the way to go, only wish I would have discovered it sooner.

It blew my mind when I first saw that you could unfold the Drum Rack in the mixer and get at all the channels individually :monocle:

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

drat, that's nice.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7, but Live doesn't seem to recognize 64-bit plugins, only the 32-bit ones.

64-bit Windows 7 can run 32-bit apps. Live is a 32-bit app. 32-bit apps only recognise 32-bit plugins.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Vector 7 posted:

Because automating utility can control the amplitude of the signal without forcing the mixer to adhere to automation. This "frees up" the mixer in relation to the other tracks, allowing you to mix without having to go back to the automation lane of the mixer.

drat, thanks! That's gonna be really helpful.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

FLX posted:

Is there a way to have Live ignore incoming velocity data from a MIDI controller and just record the note that was played at a constant velocity?

Yes, just use the "velocity" tool under "MIDI effects". There's a preset called "Fix 127" that sets all MIDI notes to maximum velocity, but obviously you can adjust this if you want.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Thoogsby posted:

Don't most Ableton controllers have a chromatic note mode? Do you really need to make clips for each note?

Those are chords.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

im a girl btw posted:

I have a question, it's probably pretty simple but I've only just started using Live today.

I have a drum rack set up with 3 different hihat samples, is it possible to send them all to one track (chain?) inside the drum rack and turn off their uhh master send?

I want to adjust their volumes etc individually, send them all to one channel with a bitcrusher and then send that to the same reverb channel as the snare, all inside the drum rack if possible. I just can't figure out how to turn off the master send of the individual hihats so I get the bitcrushed hihats playing as well as the unprocessed ones.

Seems a bit tricky, but you can group drums inside Drum Racks, so maybe you could group the hats and snare (for the reverb) and then group the hats inside that (for the bitcrushing).

Alternatively, get the hi-hat sound you want, freeze/flatten it and drag it back into Drum Rack?

Why do the hats and snare need to go to the same reverb instance anyway- trying to save CPU? Can you just duplicate the reverb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

im a girl btw posted:

Oh you can have drum racks inside drum racks :aaaaa:

I know, it's loving nuts, haha.

Since you're new to Ableton I'll tell you my favourite thing about Drum Racks:
  • Go to Session View
  • Click the little triangle next to the Drum Rack's name
  • You can fuckin' mix each drum channel individually :monocle: