Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I noticed I get considerable delay when using real instruments on Live. Is there anything I can do about this or is it a case of "you have a revision A Macbook, you need a macbook pro"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

If he's using a MacBook he should have the "Core Audio" driver that's native to the OS. Prom Candy, we'll need some more information about your set up. What kind of analog to digital audio converter are you using? What kind of instrument are you recording? Are you sending MIDI information from your computer to the instrument and then recording the output?

I'm using an M-Audio FastTrack Pro on a Revision A MacBook with 2GB of RAM and a 1.83 ghz Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) processor. The delay is most noticeable when I DI my guitar, but it also happens when I mic my amp. It's more noticeable on a song where I've got EZDrummer and a couple VSTi's or an amp simulator running, but even on a clean project there's a bit of delay. I updated the M-Audio drivers which helped a bit, but it's still kinda there. It's been a pretty fruitful year so far so picking up a Macbook Pro isn't out of the question (my Macbook is my work computer and it's started kinda doggin' it with Photoshop and stuff as well), but I'm also renovating my house and buying a car so if I can delay that purchase it's definitely preferred!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Terrible Horse posted:

Yeah, I've started freezing stuff and it does help a little, but I think to keep things spontaneous and have difficulty with the commitment of freezing stuff.

Regarding getting a new computer, is there a big difference between dual core, core duo, and core 2 duo processors for music production?

Core Duo and Core 2 Duo are brand names for Intel's line of processors. Core 2 Duo is dual core... I don't even think Core Duo is dual core, it's kinda misleading.

Edit: Upon further research it turns out it is? It still isn't great though, get a Core 2 Duo.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 5, 2009

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

vas0line posted:

These might help you a bit:
http://www.fakecomputermusic.com/etc/chordscalepresets.zip

I can't remember where I got these, but they were from someone on the Ableton forum.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I load these files up?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of things, but how do you record into those clips without it looping back over and destroying what you already recorded? It seems like it's impossible to get the timing down unless you just draw the notes manually.

Also do you even use the clips if you're trying to compose like straight up rock/pop music, or is it generally better to just use the arrangement window?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just got my M-Audio Axiom 49 as an upgrade from my Oxygen8 in the mail today. Does anyone know where I can download Live templates that make good use of it. Failing that, anyone want to just make recommendations on how to get the most out of a decent MIDI controller? Usually I just assign knobs and stuff as I go, but I feel like I'm missing something because it seems like people have much more advanced uses for their controllers and don't have to spend a ton of time on each new project setting them up.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

7.62WorldOrder posted:

This is probably the dumbest question in the universe: what exactly is meant by a "transport"? When someone refers to transport automation, what does that mean?

I could be wrong but I think that means the main stop, pause, play, record-enable buttons.

h_double posted:

Template Stuff

That sounds like good advice. I'm still just cutting my teeth on Live (and more serious music production in general) so I think I'll try to figure this out organically. That being said there is a LivePack for the Axiom series, and it's pretty decent.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Back on the topic of setting up your midi controllers, does anyone know if there's a way to set it up so that a knob on my axiom controls a specific parameter of a device only when that device is active/selected? Even if I could assign things on a track by track basis that would be good.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

squidgee posted:

The Maelstrom is seriously awesome. I never recognized how great it was until recently, but drat does the distortion on it sound neat. It can make some really cool sounds.

EDIT: Also I'm totally falling in love with Analog after spending some time with it trying to recreate synth sounds. You can do a lot with just it and the Ableton effects:

That sounds awesome, how'd you make that?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Does anyone know if there's a way to get drum rack to automatically set the release of a sample to said sample's length? It's annoying to have to set it every time I drop a sample in there.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

prom candy posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to get drum rack to automatically set the release of a sample to said sample's length? It's annoying to have to set it every time I drop a sample in there.

So is this not possible?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

BlazinChronic posted:

If I wanted to take a note, and pitch bend it up over the time of like 24 beats...how can I do that? Is there any way to do this without using a pitch wheel off a synth and just slowly pushing it?

You should be able to do this using the automation lanes. Check out the Live Lesson on automation, you can do all kinds of great stuff with it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is this what you're trying to do? http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=128490

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Lewk posted:

http://bit.ly/w1Bl8

is a great vid. an hour long. he's done another 9 which costs $10 to access. I've got them all and they've taught me, so far (i've only watched 2) loads. and i'm getting more ideas and more 'electronic' in my compositional thinking.

Man that guy is thorough.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Lewk posted:

I'd just like to chip in here that Ableton Live is bloody awesome. Earlier, I jokingly suggested to a friend I could turn The Kinks' 'Village Green' into hip hop. He laughed and challenged me. So here I am, trying to turn 60s very english beat rock into some sort of cheesy ghetto and suceeding in like an hour. Unbelievable!!!

You must post this when you're done.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
For Reason + Rewire + Ableton, how is it as far as automation goes? Easy? Tricky? Impossible? The only time I've done it I patched Reason into Ableton, set my Axiom to control Reason, and played along with my mix. Ableton saw the result as audio, but my understanding is that you can have Ableton just send MIDI data to Reason, and then send that back to Ableton as audio... is that the preferred way to do it? I don't really understand FM synthesis and I'm getting pretty tired of playing with Ableton's Analog.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have a question about MIDI mapping. I set up my Axiom 49 with the default midi maps, which set my sliders to control the volume on tracks 1-8 and the buttons underneath the sliders to mute them or unmute them. I'd rather have those buttons set up to arm the track for recording.

I created a new file, made 8 tracks, mapped each button to the respective arm button, and set it as my default template but it doesn't really work the way I want it to. If I delete a track or change the order it stops making sense. Does anyone know how I can set them to arm/unarm tracks 1-8, not the specific tracks that I click on?

Thanks!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

prom candy posted:

I have a question about MIDI mapping. I set up my Axiom 49 with the default midi maps, which set my sliders to control the volume on tracks 1-8 and the buttons underneath the sliders to mute them or unmute them. I'd rather have those buttons set up to arm the track for recording.

I created a new file, made 8 tracks, mapped each button to the respective arm button, and set it as my default template but it doesn't really work the way I want it to. If I delete a track or change the order it stops making sense. Does anyone know how I can set them to arm/unarm tracks 1-8, not the specific tracks that I click on?

Thanks!

So is this impossible, or so retarded easy that I'm a dumbass for not being able to find the answer on my own?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So it was the latter then eh? Thanks :)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

baw posted:

goddamn it

So would a better pair of headphones help or I should I wait until I can get a set of studio monitors? I'm willing to spend up to $300 on a descent set of headphones because I figure I'll need them eventually.

Do you not have anywhere else to listen to music? Try listening to it in the car, through your laptop speakers, on your living room speakers, etc. and note how it sounds on each, then bring that back to the mixing board.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Xovaan posted:

I am having issues getting my Axiom 49 to work with Ableton Live

The USB port only works to power the keyboard now so I'm running midi through my Focusrite Saffire. This works fine for Mixcraft, but I can't get the settings to recognize the keyboard in Ableton. It will work fine for a minute or two, hitting every keystroke, but after that, it will cut out or notes will hang and eventually it just cuts out until I reset the settings in Ableton.

I guess I need to figure out how to get Ableton to work with the Axiom MIDI through my Focusrite Saffire instead of USB2.0.

Have you tried powering it with an adapter? Maybe the fact that it's hooked up via USB and MIDI is confusing your poo poo? I use a power adapter and MIDI out to my Fast Track Pro and it works like a charm.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
ok i think i must be a supreme moron because i'm googling around and i can't find anything on this. i usually work in arrangement view but i decided to mess around in session view just to see if it's a better way to get a song started. i must've clicked the wrong thing or something because none of my clips are repeating. they just play once through and then stop. i have trigger mode set to repeat for them. i know in the past when i've hosed around with this view everything has just looped automatically. the back to arrangement button also keeps lighting up so i probably definitely toggled something i shouldn't have. any ideas?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yes that was it! I don't think I ever clicked it but maybe it defaulted to off because I was messing around in arrangement view at the same time? Either way thanks!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ah okay, that must've been it, I think I dragged it in from arrangement view.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Live is 30% off. If anyone bought it recently if you email them they may refund you the difference, they did for me.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Whoa look at mr affordable housing market

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You could start the Suite trial and see if you use the Suite-specific stuff or not. I think you get 90 days now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I usually use a rack to achieve the separate wet/dry knob thing in Ableton. When I was using Logic I used a lot more buses but I don't find them as easy to use in Ableton. In ableton there's also track grouping and applying effects to the groups but I find that a bit of a weird way to do things. I am a big noob however.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Maybe not ableton specific but what kind of process do you guys use for songwriting? I've made a good handful of electronic/beats type music where everything sort of revolves around one progression and then has elements dropping in and out to keep it interesting, but I'd like to write some more kind of traditionally structured bedroom pop type stuff where the instrumentation is a good mix of midi and some live instruments.

For those of you that make that kind of stuff do you tend to sit down and write the skeleton of a song with your piano or guitar or whatever and then re-engineer it in Ableton or do you write in the DAW? Seems like every time I sit down to write a song in ableton I end up making a beat instead.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

blaise rascal posted:

Songwriting is really hard, and I am by no means any good at it, but my process is that I plan out the whole song on the piano, taking notes as I go, before trying to turn my vision into reality in a DAW. I think you might benefit from attempting the same. And maybe don't put things on autoloop while you're working on them. I often start with drums, then melody, then bass, then chords. Good luck!

I think you're right. I started writing a song on my guitar over the past couple days and it's funny how your "what's next" mindset changes so much when you go from instrument to software. On your instrument once you have a part you're happy with the "what's next" is the next section of the song, but in the DAW your "what's next" is endlessly tweaking the 8 bars you recorded. I already got in that loop today because I wanted to record the first section so I didn't forget it, but then it's "ok let's add drums to that, already maybe a pad, tweak the guitar tone, ok now let's just let it loop for 20 minutes and noodle the pentatonic scale on top of it for fun..."

The thing I'm finding hard is the instrument i can actually just sit down and play and write music on is guitar, but i'm not necessarily trying to write guitar music so much as music that maybe features guitar. Usually if I sit down and write a song on my guitar I end up with a strummy guitar song, so I guess maybe there's an aspect of using the instrument you're good at to come up with the overall structure and then re-imagining the actual feel of the song once you're in Ableton?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is a Push worth it if it's just going to sit on my desk directly in front of my monitor? Do you still use the on-screen controls even if you have a mouse and keyboard right there? I have an APK Mini right now but the keys are pretty drat small for playing and I have a digital piano right beside me anyway for when I need to really play piano parts (badly). The push is interesting to me because the way it operates kinda like a fretboard would be handy to me for punching in bass lines and melodies but I'm just not sure if I'll use all the fancy on-screen controls when my mouse and keyboard are always gonna be right there.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is working with the stock plugins easier on the Push vs. doing it on the computer? I do use a fair number of stock plugins and would like to learn more of them. I rely pretty heavily on Serum for sound design but I know Ableton has all these synths that I paid for and ought to be using too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I ended up buying a used push and it's really neat. I usually work in arrangement mode but it seems to be really designed around session mode so I'm going to work on composing in there and then moving to arrangement later in the process. I'm working on a pretty bog standard verse-prechorus-chorus type song right now and the scenes actually work pretty well for that. One thing I noticed though is audio clip editing kinda sucks in session mode? Like if you want to chop up an audio clip or add fades you need to copy it to arrangement and work on it there and then join it and paste it back in the session slot. Am I wrong or is that the best way to do it?

Push is really cool, chromatic mode is pretty approachable as a guitar player and it's super intuitive to use

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Clip comping is really nice to have. Depending on the new packs this'll probably be worth $200 for me.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah this looks pretty good, scales in clips will be a really nice feature

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Achmed Jones posted:

Nice! I had a similar experience in that I bought Suite 2 or 3 weeks before their big "stay home, make music" sale at the beginning of the pandemic. I sent 'em an email and the next morning they'd refunded me the ~$100 difference.

I mean, it makes sense that the company selling really expensive end-user software would have good support and take customer happiness seriously, but I was still surprised when the response wasn't "lol sucks to be you, pay me"

They hooked me up the same way, I bought it about a month and a half before they sale so I wasn't expecting them to give me the discount but they did anyway. That kind of thing goes a long way.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm recording some guitar stuff today and man I'm looking forward to that comping feature

Edit: what's the deal with ableton betas? worth jumping on for a hobbyist or are they generally unstable?

prom candy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 12, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
you can't even upgrade MacOS point version releases without breaking something in audio production land, you'd be nuts to get an M1 this early

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If you have a Mac you could also consider Logic Pro, the price is really, really good for what you get (likely because you also paid them a lot for your hardware)

Also even though I have Suite I still tend to use Serum for everything just because there's so many tutorials and sound packs for it out there and I find the interface more approachable than the Ableton synths that I paid a fortune for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

prom candy posted:

Is a Push worth it if it's just going to sit on my desk directly in front of my monitor? Do you still use the on-screen controls even if you have a mouse and keyboard right there? I have an APK Mini right now but the keys are pretty drat small for playing and I have a digital piano right beside me anyway for when I need to really play piano parts (badly). The push is interesting to me because the way it operates kinda like a fretboard would be handy to me for punching in bass lines and melodies but I'm just not sure if I'll use all the fancy on-screen controls when my mouse and keyboard are always gonna be right there.

Long answer here for me was no. The pad layout was kinda cool as a guitar player but I still found myself gravitating towards my piano when I needed to play any parts and I found the ergonomics of using the Push on my desk a lot worse than just using kb/m to control everything. I also don't use session mode very often and it's really geared for that. I can definitely see why it's such a popular device but for me as someone that doesn't actually play gigs with Ableton and already has a full size digital piano + an MPK Mini it just wasn't worth the cost or desk space. Bought it for $750 and sold it for $700 so all in all not too bad for a rental.