Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Back in my day we zoomed way in on the piano roll and manually edited each note's position, and that's how we liked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been watching this guy on YouTube Julien Earle who makes a bunch of electronic music (mostly house) using only stock plugins and sounds and god drat I have really been sleeping on Ableton's capabilities.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think people who use session mode generally get all their ideas down in session mode and then play it into arrangement mode. I've played around with it a bit and I don't really like it, I just work in arrangement mode all the time. I'm not sure I've ever seen people starting in arrangement mode and then moving stuff back to session mode.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is anyone using 11 beta regularly yet?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That was really cool

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can I update from the beta to the release or do I need to download the release separately?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Alright I just downloaded the release separately, I have two other questions that I haven't been able to google:

1. In the midi clip editor is there a way to stack the envelope editor and the note editor together, so that I can do stuff like edit notes and pitch bend without having to move back and forth?

2. Is there a way to reset the grid? For example if I have a 4/4 song and I want to just insert an extra 2 bars somewhere can I do that and then have the alternating grid background colours start back up afterwards instead of being messed up for the rest of the track?

Edit: Figured out I can do #2 with Insert Time Signature Change

prom candy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 27, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I posted about it in the thread already but I bought a used Push 2 in October and sold it in December for $50 less than what I paid. It just wasn't for me. I found using it to tweak things way more cumbersome than just using the computer and I already kinda play piano so I ended up using note mode a lot less than I thought I would. Plus being hunched over it hurt my back pretty quickly. I can see why it would be an incredible tool if you're incorporating Ableton into live shows but for what I do it wasn't any good. I also hardly ever use session view.

But if you're interested just buy a used one and if you don't like it you can sell it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Standard has a lot of the effects that you'll want. Suite having a huge sound/instrument pack is really nice though, and the additional packs you get with it are great as well. I like being able to just hit cmd+f in my DAW and type "snare" or "piano" or whatever and instantly have usable sounds instead of having to stop what I'm doing and go find samples or trawl around for some free/cheap VST just to try out an idea that I might not stick with.

If you don't mind doing sound design/sample curation sessions then you probably don't need Suite though. I've had it for like a year and I still use Serum for almost everything and hardly touch the built-in synths.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Boar It posted:

Idea is to use stuff like Splice once I get going for real, or at least try it since I get two months with my keyboard. But besides that I am interested in trying to design my own sounds but so far I've managed to open up vital and stare at all the buttons, knobs and menus before surrendering. :psyboom: But I'll hopefully figure it out over time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJLIS2MkFe4

This uses Serum but I think everything should map to Vital pretty cleanly.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Picking one synth and learning it well is going to be way more useful than trying to learn a bunch of synths at once. There's so much stuff to learn if you're learning to make music.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Do we have a general like "making electronic music" or even "general producing music" thread?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

NonzeroCircle posted:

A lot of these threads are really old too, I think the OP for the last making electronic music thread was from 2010.

Haha yeah I used to participate in that thread when I first got into producing music before dropping it for like 8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
A plugin would be sweet but I use this sometimes https://www.scales-chords.com/scalefinder.php

I just have a circle of fifths poster on my wall that I consult when I'm writing progressions and need ideas