Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I have a Drum Rack loaded up and a pattern entered, but I want to put an effect on the hats only, not the rest. How can I do this?

In Reason I'd just patch redrum's individual channels into an effects box or use one of the sends, but I can't figure out how to do it in Ableton. I've tried messing with chains but I can never seem to route the output correctly or I effect the entire drum kit rather than the individual drums.

Do I have to load the drum up on an individual Impulse/Simpler pattern and do it that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Three Red Lights posted:

Each sample on the drums should have its own little chain right?
They're grouped up into Cymbals, Hats etc.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Plastic Snake posted:

See where I've put the ping-pong delay? All I did was double click the snare drum so its Sampler shows up and drag it right after it. If you look closely it's still inside the Drum Rack, not after it. If you put the effect after the entire Rack it will affect all the samples.

All a Drum Rack is is a bunch of individual Samplers in an easier to use interface.
The issue just turned out to be me not double-clicking the right thing. Thanks for the help though.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

oredun posted:

i just got a midi footpedal and let me tell you boys holy poo poo its awesome. i had to use midistroke(free midi to keystroke for mac) and i set it all up and its unbelievable. i highly recommend looking into a midi to keystroke program it really opens up ableton in a way just midi cant. For something like mpd's or other midi controlers its amazing. i cant believe i didnt use something like this for the first couple of years i used live.
Are you using it with Looper? Cos the videos I've seen of people doing that are just mindblowing.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

duggimon posted:

Just got my APC in today, it's so pretty! Can't wait to get to grips with it.

Anyone know when Max for Live is coming out? I saw a video of how it's supposed to interface with Live and the APC and I'm virtually wetting myself with excitement.
Speaking of which, what does everyone here use as a control surface for Ableton?

I use a BCR2000 with some awesome custom presets so I have a crazy amount of easily accessible control over everything in ableton.

Are there any Maschine users in here? Any more APC folks?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Is there a matrix step sequencer in Ableton?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

thunderthief posted:

It's easy as hell - you just go up in the top right and click the little midi button, click the one you want to assign, and move the slider around. I'm doing this out of my head without the program in front of me so there might be a step I'm missing but it's seriously like 1 - 2 step process to assign anything to any control.

I usually assign stuff as I need it so I don't waste all my controllers on "Aftertouch Panning" or something I will never use.
Ctrl+M is the keyboard shortcut too which is good for speedy settings changes.

Which reminds me... I've been trying to setup my regular QWERTY keyboard as a loop triggering one but when I assign the keys, only a few work. The assigns are fine, but hitting the keys only works on a couple of them, if you know what I mean. Hitting Q is fine and triggers the clip, but hitting W doesn't triugger the clip at that position, despite the assigning being fine.

I was thinking it was some kind of default hotkey issue, but I can't find any references to the standard keys without a modifier used as a shortcut.

Anyone got any clues/experience with this?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

ManoliIsFat posted:

You have to turn off the qwerty keyboard->midi notes thing. I forget how to do it but I think the icon is a like 3 keys on a piano/keyboard.
Ah perfect, I knew I'd forgotten something simple. Thanks!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

SkandalousPanda posted:

I'm looking for a relatively easy way to set up a chopped and screwed type of effect. I'm looking for something I can do in a live setup. Obviously I need to slow the tempo down but what type of effects does live have that will let me repeat the last segment or skip ahead slightly?
This might not be exactly what you want, but I've been having hours of fun with this over the last couple of days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_n3LSqb0wU

Stick it on your master bus to make the whole track hitch and warp, it's great.

For those who don't want to watch the video, you put an auto filter and simple delay in your chain, set the envelope to be a left to right line, assign a midi controller to handle the frequency of the auto filter and the frequency and dry/wet of the delay. This is simple to do, but sounds pretty funky. Use a grain delay with a maxed out freq to get some cool glitchy effects on the hold too.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 6, 2009

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Glitch is awesome, nice recommendation!

Assign too many knobs to be automated though and it crashes Ableton :(

Plavski fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 6, 2009

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

File -> Collect All and Save.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

This might be a simple problem but I've never encountered it before: I'm trying to freeze a track with a vst effect on it and it keeps setting the automation to zero. My clip has automation in it and I thought freeze was supposed to keep all the automation intact?

Anyone know how to stop it from screwing with my automation?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

thunderthief posted:

I think once you record, or write the automation to it you have to disable recording but still allow reading for that particular sub-track (I might be thinking of Cubase however). Can you see the envelope and confirm it is in fact receiving your automation data and storing it?

You might also try manually drawing in an automation point at the beginning and end that will denote that everything in b/w is automated. Sometimes programs need to bump into a point before it starts picking up on the automation.

Both of these solutions are pulled out of my rear end and will need to be verified when I'm not sneaking on here between emails at work :(
Playing back the clip plays my automation fine, the envelope works perfectly. It's just that when I go to freeze it, it sets the control to zero and so automation won't affect it. Nothing I do will let it stay at its original place so automation can be applied. It's very weird.

The automation control will be set at max and when the clip is played back you see the orange dot of the automation moving along with the envelope. When you freeze it however the control switches instantly to zero and so none of the automation is heard.

This might be a problem with Glitch methinks. Christ knows when we'll get a new version though, I might just have to manually record the loop outside of ableton.

Update: Well, it seems that hitting Stop three times fucks up the automation too, resetting all the parameters to zero. Great, automation is totally hosed in it.

Are there any other properly working plugins with a similar feature set? I played with Lucifer a bit on a demo, but it didn't quite do it as intuitively as Glitch does.

Update the second: Automation or no, Glitch won't freeze. Goddamn it.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 6, 2009

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

stun runner posted:

Here's a workaround, it's fairly bootleg but it should get you where you want to go.

Create a new audio track, set the AUDIO IN to be whatever track you're having trouble with, arm it to record, and then play the glitch track while recording in a clip on the new audio track. It'll record in real time to a clip, which you can then just drag into the arrangement view since it'll be the exact same audio as as if you were playing the original track realtime. You'll have to do this every time you make changes but if you're done and just want to render it out then this should work.
That worked great, thanks!

I'm gonna try and find another less buggy fx vst though but until I do, this method should serve me well.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Hmm, how can you make one sample trigger another in a different line? Follow action doesn't seem to let you move out of your main line.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 8, 2009

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Volvagia posted:

Sorry if this has been asked, but does anyone have any cool tricks on how to make Reason sound less 'Reasony' when rewired through ableton? I've tried lightly effecting the entire channel, but everyone I show my stuff to can still pick out that (relatively) cruddier Reason sound.
I've always found a good smattering of compression works wonders on Reason tracks.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

squidgee posted:

The basic patch is this:
Save it as a patch and upload it. Just drag the instrument to the file folder in Ableton and upload the .adv file so we don't have to mess so much with settings :)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Sharktopus posted:

I can't figure out how to remap midi CC controls in reason while it's a rewrite slave.

live is passing the midi along, but I can't get it to remap and I can't figure out how to change in live what they're sending to...

for example, I've got a thor in reason, but I want to map a knob on my keyboard to the filter frequency. I can't seem to figure it out.
I don't think you can, not directly anyway.

You could record the MIDI you want to play in Live as normal, unmap the keyboard from Live and map it as a control surface in Reason. Then, when playing back in record mode and in Reason, you could assign all the knobs you wanted and do the automation live as it's playing.

Or just get another keyboard/control surface specifically for Reason.

There's a couple of guide type things here: http://www.digitalburn.org/automating-reason-parameters-in-rewire-mode/

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Anyone here use a Kaoss pad for triggering clips? Can you use the 8x8 grid as a mini arrange view?

Oh and by the by, this month Computer Music put out an Ableton special magazine with loads of guides and Live Packs.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 17, 2009

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

For anyone with an APC40, you might be interested in this video I dug up: http://thestudiosessions.co.uk/

The guy has an incredibly complex custom setup for his APC40 so trying to emulate it perfectly seems like a tall order, but there are a couple of things in there that might be useful to everyone.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

stun runner posted:

Haha my APC40 order finally went through today but my production computer died a few weeks ago :[ At least I can look at it I guess. It's been super interesting watching people figure out how to use it, and when Max for Live comes out it's going to be so loving amazing. Someone will upload a monome emulator within a day and I'll never leave my room.
I'm just gonna load up Operator and use the APC as a matrix sequencer and slowly die of malnutrition as I make it bleep and bloop for the rest of my natural life.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

KaosPV posted:

I'm using the slicer in Ableton, but the phrases I'm slicing are from a song at a tempo of 100 bpm. My own song is at 80 bpm, so the slices sound like if they are "cut" at the very end, I guess because they play faster than the tempo of my song, so they don't "fill" the MIDI note's length.

Any chance to correct this? In an audio track I can repitch the samples, but I don't seem to find where to repitch MIDI slices.

Thanks in advance!
Double click the drum you want to adjust and in the waveform editor, grab the < and > icons and move them to the required length.

You can also adjust the loop length to extend of shorten sections of the hit.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Runoir posted:

I've managed to loose the disk that came with my APC40 so I'm installing Live 8 from ableton.com on a fresh MacBook Pro with the goal of using it with the APC40. What do I need to do to get them (MacBook Pro & APC40) to talk?
Should do it automatically. If it doesn't, try installing the latest beta from the forums. There are numerous fixes in the betas for APC issues and you should be okay just like that.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

chief touching you posted:

I wasn't very clear, I apologize. The knobs DO change from the pans to the sends. What I want is for the knobs at the BOTTOM to control the effects I have setup in the sends. Instead of doing this, they default to whatever device I have loaded into my clip, like Operator, or Simpler.
The device control ones at the bottom are dynamic. In order to make them work directly on the sends, just re-map them to the send settings you want using the MIDI mapper.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

When will Max4Live be released? Day 1 purchase for me :can't wait:
According to the forums, in the next few weeks. Beta 8.1 of Ableton and Max4Live has gone to testers and new videos are going up faster.
See: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=124095

Also, this awesome video for BufferShuffler, a max for live effect:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlqerD3KPyU

I got my APC40 a couple of days ago so I'm looking forward to max for live too. It should be great.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

apistat posted:

Dumb question, but is there any way to map "undo" to a button on a MIDI controller? I can't seem to figure out how to map things in menus. Thanks!
Only with Bome's.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

Can anyone recommend some good reading for getting started with Ableton with a focus on live triggering down the line?

Thanks!
The manual that comes with it is great. A couple of online tutorials and that and you'll be fine.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

On the right hand side of your Ableton UI, press the circle marked IO.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

apistat posted:

Thanks! I might spring for it if I can think of anything else it would come in handy for. Ctrl+Z for now!
You can use the free one as long as you're okay with a nag screen on each startup for a few seconds.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Lewk posted:

For those that can't quite justify a full APC40...

http://www.ableton.com/launchpad
Fuckkkkk. I want it I want it I want it.

But I already have an APC40 :( The auto device knobs are drat handy to be sure, but that thing would be so much nicer for gigs.

Oh and this thing will also be able to use Max 4 Live. And will retail for €149 + vat. A great price.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 1, 2009

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I have the APC40 but that launchpad still looks pretty useful. I'd love to use it as a step sequencer w/ Max4Live.

Launchpad is going to completely cannibalize monome sales
This can only be a good thing, gently caress the monome. Artificially limiting sales to charge ridiculous prices and creating exclusivity and envy is annoying and having much cheaper, more useful competition on the market is a very good thing.

You can already use the APC40 as a monome anyway with a max/msp patch so I hope the monome dies a death.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

BlazinChronic posted:

Can the ableton APC40 controller be used as a midi controller, or should I look into buying a MIDI controller that has piano keys to record notes? I can't figure out a default setting to change the clip matrix into anything other than the bank or clips.
You'll be able to do that with max 4 live. Right now though you can use a max patch to get it to run as a monome allowing you do to whatever you want.

Haven't been able to get it to work on windows myself, but it looks simple enough to do on a mac.

Get it here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117307

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

BlazinChronic posted:

So I'm gonna have to either buy max, or wait for max 4 live to come out and buy that?
Nope, as the page says, you only need the free runtime.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Afro Thunder posted:

Looking for an opinion,

Ableton releases a new version every year, right? I know in january they're announcing a software thing with Serato Scratch Live. I'm just wondering if I should buy Suite 8.0 now, or wait until 9.0 with the supposed Serato features.
If you don't use an APC40 and don't need the guitar looper thing, holding off wouldn't be the worst decision in the world.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

When I listen to Daft Punk - Alive 2007, I can hear all the Ableton effects :) When I listen to it I can visualise everything they're doing and in what plugins and stuff, it's quite fun.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

So the APC20 has been announced.

It's essentially just an APC40 cut in half with all the pots removed and the send/pans shifted to an awkward shift+fader combo. It might be handy if you're used to fiddling around with bcr's or the like or just need the pattern layout rather than the effects but I know I'm not going to be dropping my 40 for it any time soon.

Anyone looking at this with envious eyes?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

grayrobot posted:

Awesome! Thanks for the help.
It's so unique, I have a lot of other habits to get over.

EDIT:
The Zoom tool doesn't seem to go in as far as I would like (as in, enough to make the wavform a single line) it seems to be locked to some kind of maxiumum zoom. Is there a way to turn this off?
I'm not sure what you mean? The + and - keys let you zoom in until the waveform is a blip on the screen.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The thing I hate about Tom Cosm tutorials is he makes me realise how much I've neglected Operator.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I have a small question.

I have a copy of massive in an instrument rack with the 8 preset variables in Massive macro'd to the eight knobs in the instrument rack. So far so peachy. But if I change preset, the macro names in the instrument rack are no longer related to the new macro'd variable names from Massive. Is there a way to have Ableton automatically update the macro names in the instrument rack to reflect the new variables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

For cutting down distortion and clipping I like to throw a limiter on each track, that way I can keep everything in check on a track by track basis without having to worry about it effecting the final mixing.