Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
There is also a little box in the bottom of ableton's vocoder that says 'Precise' that when you click it it turns to 'Retro' which adds a little more funk, but you may have tried that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Ok so I have a problem that perhaps one of you can help me with. I unfortunately bought Logic Studio 9 with the impression that "full Rewire support" meant that Logic Pro and Mainstage 2 could be slaved to Ableton Live like Reason can be. Apparently, that is not true, and you can only use mainstage 2 and logic as a rewire master, which unfortunately means that my hopes of slaving Logic's drum machine Ultrabeat to Live's clock. However, Mainstage a pretty flexible program, so i think I will be able to trick it, if I can do a certainly something in Live.

tldr: I need Live to be able to send some kind of MIDI message to Mainstage to indicate the kind of rapid changes in tempo that are able to be achieved through renaming the scenes to their respective tempo and time signatures. Can you make a MIDI out that sends that kind of data?

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

zapateria posted:

I have a quick newbiequestion about Ableton Live! - I use the computer keyboard to play notes (A-L), but it seems very hard to get the timing correct (when I press A repeatedly it seems to delay some of the keypresses). Will this be better with a midi keyboard?

Yes

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

RivensBitch posted:

I really, *really* hate how Ableton handles it's automation in arrangement view. Why is the automation tied to the clip? If I have multiple takes, that means I have to either copy/paste the automation to each of the alternates, or send the audio to a monitoring channel and put the automation there. Either way, it's a PITA.

Also I should be able to turn record automation off, so that I can adjust levels while tracking without then having to go back and delete the automation that was recorded.

Automating levels in the utility plugin is a great tip, I just wish Ableton had something similar to Cubase's relative automation features where you can still use the faders after you've automated levels on a track.

Yeah I have grown very frustrated with the way that Ableton handles automation as well. I really have no idea why I can't automate MIDI CC data outside of a clip.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

pennywisdom posted:

I'm having some trouble mapping parameters to my midi controller. When I pull up the map mode, click on something then twist a knob, I'm getting no response.

The midi controller is working fine otherwise. Any ideas?

Pretty sure you need to click Remote for the input of the LPD8

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

cubicle gangster posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a sidechain going on, but instead of controlling the volume can control some normal automation?

So that whenever the kick hits it dips the cutoff on a filter for example, or changes the wet/dry on some other effect?

Auto Filter can be side chained, but otherwise I think you need a vst with sidechain capability or some kind of modular system with an envelope follower.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

LouietheCuban posted:

Does anyone know if Ableton supports dual outputs? I have a lexicon lambda with two outputs, and when I'm playing live it would be nice to have a separate track to load up samples and cue them up in my headphones with out anyone one else hearing.

This poo poo is getting me frustrated.

Yes that is possible

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
I usually just write the track from bar 1 and then move it all over 1 bar before i export

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Actually if you have a drum rack the easier way is to just right click on the individual pads and hit 'ungroup'

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
if i try to master in ableton, the chain i use is utility -> limiter on the master track. for some reason adjusting the loudness gain with utility rather than the one build into the limiter sounds less squashed

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
a few weeks ago i found out about User Remote Scripts and Live's instruments and effects became a lot more usable for sound creation

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is Live 64-bit yet?

Nope and it sucks because i could really use some more RAM

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Does anyone have the problem that when you have several channels with large racks in them, that when you click to select another channel there is a delay between the click and when the channel is actually selected. I have a live set template that i've been working on and that i would like to work within, but it is really frustrating to work within the environment when everything feels laggy. I'm on a new i7 MBP and the CPU is at 0%, so its just something within the program. Hopefully they will eventually release an update, this current update cycle is taking forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Here's an ableton pro tip for mac:

Basically, anytime you close Live, it saves a file full of your recently opened files, your I/O settings, and what folders you last had open, amongst other things, in a preferences.cfg file in [User Name] -> Library -> Preferences -> Ableton -> Version

If you delete this file, it brings everything to a factory setting, which can be handy for it's own reasons.

But, if you delete it, open up ableton, and make all of your I/O settings and standard folders and window settings etc, close ableton, locate the newly saved preferences.cfg file, save it outside of it's home folder into a backup fold, then you have an easy way to 'default' ableton to your own preferences, just by replacing the file with your backup whenever. I do this because a) i like to clear my recently opened files without losing my I/O settings and b) because sometimes after some many sessions things become a bit disheveled in terms of folders or the layout of the window and it's nice to start with a 'fresh' DAW sometimes.