Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I'm pretty sure this is a question I'm going to get laughed at for asking, but hey, gotta start somewhere...

For some reason, any time I export a song to a wav, it absolutely crushes my low end. The kick drum all but disappears. Am I missing some trick to this or do I just have to compress the gently caress out of them and boost the gain through the roof? Listening to a song in Ableton sounds fine, but listening to the exported wav sounds like total poo poo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Lewk posted:

Sounds like there's a problem with the export - it should just sound as it does in ableton. Don't start compressing stuff for the sake of it...

That's what keeps confusing me. I've tried drat near everything and nothing works except compressing and boosting the gain, and then it sounds like lovely pop music

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

You lost me here. Maybe I haven't installed autotunes correctly. Do I need to put anything in the ableton folder?

You need to point Ableton at your VST install folder. The option is in preferences. You should then be able to hit rescan plugins and Autotune will show up in your plugins tab. Then you just drag it over to a track like any other effect

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Can anyone recommend anything other than an Axiom 61 that's better in the same price range? I'm pretty sold on the Axiom unless I'm missing something accidentally

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

Agreeing with this. I also see a lot of broken Axioms on Craiglist. It could just be ignorance though as it's really easy to accidentally dial in weird settings.

I love the feel of the keys for them being unweighted, and it works well with Ableton, so I consider mine a good investment. You could do a lot worse in the price range.

How exactly do the knobs suck? I have an old Oxygen 8 with knobs that just don't seem to work at all or all send the same MIDI signal, is that what I should expect if I pick up the Axiom?

I checked out the Novation but they don't seem to make a 61 key version, so I think I'll just pick up the Axiom and hope it doesn't fall apart. Even if it does, at least it's pretty cheap :v:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

Well it isn't that. It's just that the knobs are those incremental rotary knobs, which I really really hate. They map okay, but don't expect to get any smooth effect swooshes or anything.

This actually makes me pretty leery about picking one up. Would I be better off sacrificing the extra octave for the improved hardware in the Novation or maybe an Akai MPK49? I am pretty sure the knob issue would drive me up the wall.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

This is a complete idiot question, but I can't figure out how to Google it properly, so here goes:

I'm trying to follow some of Tom Cosm's tutorials to learn Ableton and almost the first step is downloading a free live Pack of drum samples from the Ableton site. He then directly drops the .aif sample into a drum rack, makes a new midi clip, and tosses the kick drum notes in. His notes immediately cut the kick sample off when the midi note ends. Mine plays the entire goddamn sample no matter how big/small the midi note is. I can approximate his sound by screwing with decay/release/sustain, but it still ignores midi note length and thus isn't a workable solution. What gives :mad:

Edit - setting Release only to 1ms fixed it, no idea why Tom's defaults to that and mine defaults to 60s. Leaving this so people can laugh at it

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 13, 2014

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

ynohtna posted:

You can set your customised Simpler settings as the defaults for when new samples are dropped onto Drum Racks.

Here's one explanation on how to do that, although the process can vary according to the version of Live you have, its configuration, etc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvS1Yhj_bhg

I actually did that about 5 mins after I figured out what my initial issue was, but thanks anyway sir :)

Aside, this is probably the wrong thread for it, but I just bought Melodyne earlier today with tax moneys after watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FScFKuXXM0

and I've only played around with it for a couple hours, but it works like loving voodoo magic. I can only imagine the crazyass math that went into making DNA function, but holy poo poo. Haven't found a song yet I couldn't strip the vocals from in 15 minutes. Best purchase of my life (obviously not a shill)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

wayfinder posted:

Just stay away from M-Audio

Seconding this so loving hard. I own 2 M-Audio things. One's already been repaired once and its USB port is broken again. The other I'm right in the middle of getting repaired for the 2nd time because the piece of poo poo just quit working entirely. I've owned each of them ~1 year. Such poo poo gear, never again.

On topic: I doubt anyone is going to have any idea about this, but I dunno really where else to ask. Has anyone else tinkered extensively with Ableton's MIDI Remote Scripts? In particular, changing the APC40's. I've been working on accessing the APC's faders once the automapping ties them to a particular track and I just can't figure the fuckers out. I found the place in Ableton's API Framework where the faders interface before they're mapped (EncoderElement.py) but once I add a few tracks in Ableton, something happens and the faders on those channels stop transmitting via EncoderElement and I can't figure out where the hell they move to instead.

As far as I can find, there's only 2 or 3 people other than me who've reverse engineered this far into Ableton code and they haven't written anything about this. I've spent a pretty irritating amount of time on this the last few days and I just really want someone else to tell me the answer :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

wayfinder posted:

Sounds like a job for the Ableton tech support team?

I wish :( For whatever reason though, Ableton is really really hush-hush about scripting. They 100% will not release their scripts at all, so the only way to go about customizing any of it is to decompile them yourself and reverse engineer everything. The built-in python compiler is also a version of Python without a decent decompiler, so you have to repeatedly decompile the same script multiple times and merge the decompiled results line-by-line until Ableton accepts them. Their API at least is finally halfway open thanks to them having to release it for Max4Live.

An engineer from Akai quietly posted a bit of info in an ancient thread verifying as much of the APC40 stuff as he could, but Ableton literally refuses to do jack poo poo to help anyone wanting to customize any of the MIDI scripts. Presumably because being able to do that removes one of hte bigger use cases for Max4Live