Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me
So i've been using FL Studio and Reason for a few years and just switched over to Ableton about a week ago. Holy poo poo is it amazing, well worth the price. I'm putting off buying an audio interface because I just dropped a decent amount of change on the software and a few nano-controllers so my question is this:

I've got an m-audio micro (basically a USB 1x1 stereo in/out) and my on board sound card as well an EMU-0404 PCI card that I'm not using but may be relevant to what i'm trying to do. A lot of my buddies use Ableton when they're playing out downtown and i've stuck with the CDJ setup, but I'm planning to eventually buy a laptop and a firewire audio interface for gigging (probably a powerful mac laptop and the m-audio firewire 610). I've been trying to find a way to use the m-audio micro in conjunction with one of my sound cards in order to have a 'cue' out in Ableton but there doesn't seem to be any way to do this on a Windows machine. I've been trying my hardest to set it up so that I can have a set of outs for my speakers and also at least one out for my headphones. One of my friends showed me how to do it on his mac, but I don't have one yet and still want to try to practice using Ableton for DJing. Computer specs are 4 gig ram, core duo proc, windows XP SP3.

Sorry if the phrasing on that was uncomfortable, I'm not really sure how else to put it.

Edit: I've also tried going the route of using ASIO4ALL v2 to try to use both as inputs but that doesn't seem to work.. i'm at a loss

further edit: from the ableton site
code:
Does Live support multiple sound cards/audio interfaces?
Live does not support multiple sound cards/audio interfaces.
There has got to be a way around this right?{

Okay, last edit. I'm not as retarded as I had originally thought. Using the ASIO4ALL interface, I was able to hook up my USB interface along w/ the onboard sound drivers, so... if anyone wants to know how.

Meaty Potato fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me

Dopo posted:

I've recently started reconsidering the classic wav vs. mp3 debate. I don't think there is an audible difference between 320kb/s mp3 and wav when you're just playing the files but I'm going to do some A/B tests tonight between the two using Live's complex time-stretch algorithm. I've been using mp3s for my DJ sets in Live and I'm thinking I may be shortchanging myself. Plus when I record my mixes and compress them to host them online I'm going mp3 -> wav -> mp3 and that can't be good. Unfortunately switching to wav would probably mean spending hundreds in duplicate song purchases. Any thoughts?

Buy on beatport. You can get the wav file there and compressing wav to mp3 if you need to is going to give you less artifacts then the other way around. Actually, procuring .wav files is pretty easy through most dance-track websites... unless of course you aren't playing dance music in which case I have no idea.

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me

Dopo posted:

I actually bought most of it from beatport initially as mp3. You'd think I'd be able to get some sort of discount if I've already purchased the track from them. Motherfuckers.

I seem to remember that there is a way to get around that with them. Let me see if I can figure out how to do it.. maybe they took that feature away.

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me

pennywisdom posted:

Definitely not clipping anywhere down the line. I was getting the same problem running straight through guitar rig as well.

Have you tried recording in a new scene and then importing that to your first track? Also, as someone said earlier, just to make sure that you're not clipping at any point in your rig. If you've got active humbuckers, you could be running too hot on those and creating input issues from your guitar (at least I've had that problem with my bass and I spent 20 minutes loving with it to figure out the signal from my bass was too hot for my audio-interface). Does your interface have clipping indicators?

Edit: do you have any problems recording anything else into the scene or is it just the guitar?

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me
So you're trying to have it automatically trigger while you're doing mixes? ... or are you trying to have it start while you're mixing a (relatively) fixed track? If the second senario is true, just record the scene and the button press will record along with any other automation you're using. In the first case, I have no idea how to get something to trigger based off some quantified input criteria.

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me
I don't see why this is so difficult in your situation. Just record it the first time and it'll record the input of starting that track and that is that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me
Depending on the area you're in, check out craigslist for used gear. I got a great pair of Alesis active monitors for $150 with absolutely nothing wrong w/ them when they went for something like $200 each new. How much would you pay for some cheap monitors? 'Cheap' is very relative