Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also, the Golden Ouecumene trilogy really reads like Atlas Shrugged in space a lot of the time. I just got to the part where The Earthmind appears to Phaethon to reveal to him the secret of how to kill a Sophotech and I'm half expecting him to slay the bad guy with a John Galt speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also I'm becoming fairly sure that there are a lot of deliberate digs at the Culture in these books. Like the part where our hero goes on about how a post-scarcity society would still definitely use money because all rational societies would necessarily use money.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Why are you reading it then? Atlas Shrugged has always been trash, how does adding lasers make it worth reading?

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I think they're enjoyable. Despite my posts I loved the Golden Oecumene trilogy despite the blatant agenda. Wright isn't going to spread objectivism through his hard sci-fi books so I find his ideology stupid but harmless and can look past it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Also I'm becoming fairly sure that there are a lot of deliberate digs at the Culture in these books. Like the part where our hero goes on about how a post-scarcity society would still definitely use money because all rational societies would necessarily use money.

Not knowing anything of the series that sounds more like a dig at Star Trek than Culture.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hughlander posted:

Not knowing anything of the series that sounds more like a dig at Star Trek than Culture.

The Culture is also a post-scarcity society without money. It's basically Star Trek's the Federation but without the liberal humanist hangups.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

The Culture is also a post-scarcity society without money. It's basically Star Trek's the Federation but without the liberal humanist hangups.

Sorry I know the Culture just meant not reading the series in question I'd think ST would be the more obvious target being so diametrically opposed to what was given in this thread.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Captain Monkey posted:

Why are you reading it then? Atlas Shrugged has always been trash, how does adding lasers make it worth reading?

Um because it's still fun? The sci fi concepts are very cool and like n4 said, I'm willing to look past his obvious agenda for an entertaining story.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Wright is surprisingly imaginative at times. I enjoyed the various superpower paradigms in the Orphans series even if his fetishes kept intruding.

He's a good enough writer that if he could keep his views out of his fiction then I'd cry 'death of the author!' and read it anyway. He can't, so I don't. But others may have stronger noses.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 20, 2017

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Got some more of these to give away, real ones instead of galleys:

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/318370/free-space-by-sean-danker/9780451475800/

PM me if you want one.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Okay, I just finished Abaddon's Gate and while I didn't like it as much as the first two books I didn't dislike it either. I found myself having a difficult time trying to care about both Anna and Clarissa/Melba. I hope Bobbie and Avasarala make a return at some point as important characters, I really liked them and I hope they've just been shelved for another arc and aren't just gone. How did you guys feel about the book?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

ROFLburger posted:

Okay, I just finished Abaddon's Gate and while I didn't like it as much as the first two books I didn't dislike it either. I found myself having a difficult time trying to care about both Anna and Clarissa/Melba. I hope Bobbie and Avasarala make a return at some point as important characters, I really liked them and I hope they've just been shelved for another arc and aren't just gone. How did you guys feel about the book?

I was bored during parts of it, but not unduly so.

Avasarala is in all of the other books (to a limited extend in 4, to a much greater one in 5 and 6), Bobbie is in 5 and 6.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ROFLburger posted:

The low point (Cibola Burn) is still ahead of you but Abaddon's Gate is the second weakest so far.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I just read all of Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth books in roughly two weeks--I actually listened to them at work--and was quite surprised I enjoyed them after the aborted child that was Night's Dawn.

Not to bring up a really old conversation, but I too was troubled by how accepting everyone was of re-life. The only character to ever giving voice to my own feelings (a copy of me is not me) was Wilson Kime; however, by the time you get to the Void Trilogy, everyone is just super cool with getting re-lifed. This includes Wilson Kime, who has uploaded himself into ANA.

In fact, there is literally a character in the Fallers series that basically says, "it's cool, don't worry about giving me first aid and let the body die, I will get re-lifed anyway."

In any case, this whole discussion makes me want someone to write a series of novels set in the Eclipse Phase universe. The setting for the universe really tries to tackle this issue exactly--what defines "you" when your consciousness can easily be "moved" or copied from one body to another. Plus, the fiction that is in the source books (they're all at least half fiction) and the short stories in "After the Fall" are loving incredible.

It's all creative commons, so while you should give these guys money (they deserve it), I encourage everyone I meet who is into science fiction to check them out, whether they are into table top gaming or no.

Lastly, I think the notion that everyone from ever species over a certain age, with some very rare exceptions, would want to dispense with their body and achieve "post-physical" status is questionable. I agree some would, but the instinct to "live" is quite intense, and most people go live their life in a very routine way--I really do not think I would "get bored" with everything in a thousand years, or even ten thousand years.

Edit

Added spoiler because I think anyone in process of reading those novels could figure it out.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 24, 2017

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

ZombieLenin posted:

I just read all of Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth books in roughly two weeks--I actually listened to them at work--and was quite surprised I enjoyed them after the aborted child that was Night's Dawn.

Not to bring up a really old conversation, but I too was troubled by how accepting everyone was of re-life. The only character to ever giving voice to my own feelings (a copy of me is not me) was Wilson Kime; however, by the time you get to the Void Trilogy, everyone is just super cool with getting re-lifed. This includes Wilson Kime, who has uploaded himself into ANA.

In fact, there is literally a character in the Fallers series that basically says, "it's cool, don't worry about giving me first aid and let the body die, I will get re-lifed anyway."

In any case, this whole discussion makes me want someone to write a series of novels set in the Eclipse Phase universe. The setting for the universe really tries to tackle this issue exactly--what defines "you" when your consciousness can easily be "moved" or copied from one body to another. Plus, the fiction that is in the source books (they're all at least half fiction) and the short stories in "After the Fall" are loving incredible.

It's all creative commons, so while you should give these guys money (they deserve it), I encourage everyone I meet who is into science fiction to check them out, whether they are into table top gaming or no.

Lastly, I think the notion that everyone from ever species over a certain age, with some very rare exceptions, would want to dispense with their body and achieve "post-physical" status is questionable. I agree some would, but the instinct to "live" is quite intense, and most people go live their life in a very routine way--I really do not think I would "get bored" with everything in a thousand years, or even ten thousand years.

Edit

Added spoiler because I think anyone in process of reading those novels could figure it out.

I think everyone except Wilson was chill with the idea because that's how they were raised. Wilso was a relic of our current notions of consciousness, so it makes sense that he feels that way.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Maybe this is addressed, but why not lose the physical body but recreate a world where you experience everything as if you were in a physical body? Like, that seems like a way better way to experience the world than to -actually- live in it. It seems entirely reasonable that almost no species would care if you could perfectly recreate, to your mind, the real world to play around in literally whenever you wanted?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Captain Monkey posted:

Maybe this is addressed, but why not lose the physical body but recreate a world where you experience everything as if you were in a physical body? Like, that seems like a way better way to experience the world than to -actually- live in it. It seems entirely reasonable that almost no species would care if you could perfectly recreate, to your mind, the real world to play around in literally whenever you wanted?

In these novels, what you are referring to happens in the form of people uploading their consciousness into ANA, which is a super sentient AI/collective consciousness where the individual parts maintain their individuality; however, post-physical in the novels is something different.

The author perhaps has a obsession with evolution that is taken up by most all but two of the advanced sentient species that appear in the novels. Everyone wants to "evolve" into the post-physical, which is something that transcends space-time. It's almost like becoming gods, and moving beyond the limitations of the physical universe. What this actually consists of is never quite clear, because, frankly speaking, to describe it would be like trying to describe the mind of a/the god.

That said, I see what you are saying; however, I also see how the opposite might be true. There is something about the authenticity of real experience that cannot necessarily be captured by even the most realistic simulation; given this, and given that everyone in the universe seems to be okay with the idea of "re-lifing," thus removing any real danger of "death" in the minds of everyone, I could see a case being made for a strong desire to continue to be physically alive for as long as someone possibly can be.

rafikki posted:

I think everyone except Wilson was chill with the idea because that's how they were raised. Wilso was a relic of our current notions of consciousness, so it makes sense that he feels that way.

True enough. It is hard to escape the cultural bounds of thought. I would be far more comfortable, but still uncomfortable, with the idea of "re-lifing" if what was being stored was somehow consciousness itself at the moment of death, rather than a mere recording of your memories.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 1, 2017

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
When I wake up in the morning am I the same me that went to sleep last night? :tinfoil:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Nope.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I know this came up in the thread awhile back, but I was sharing with a cow-orker how completely insane Ian Douglas Star Carrier series is for the USS America as giant dick orgasming all over the enemies... It was even worse than I remembered... The prologue opening with:

quote:

She was…enormous, by far the largest mobile construct ever built by humankind, a titanic mushroom shape, the kilometer-long stem shadowed behind the immense, hemispherical cap that was both reaction mass and radiation shielding. Her twin counter-rotating hab rings turned slowly in the shadows. Swarms of probes and recon ships emerged from her launch tubes, minnows streaking out into wan sunlight from the bulk of a whale.

Enormous mushroom shape with a big head? Two round wheels at the back? Hmm that's a bit subtle. Maybe he should be more overt in the first chapter...

quote:

Each of the Starhawks had emerged from the diamagnetic launch tubes in standard flight configuration, a night-black needle shape twenty meters long, with a central bulge housing the pilot and control systems, and the mirror-smooth outer hull in a superconducting state. At Gray’s command, his gravfighter began reshaping itself, the complex nanolaminates of its outer structure dissolving and recombining, drive units and weapons and sensors folding up and out and back, everything building up around the central bulge in a blunt and smoothly convoluted egg-shape with a slender spike tail off the narrow end, and with the fat end aligned with the distant, golden gleam of Eta Boötis.

Ok space ships shooting out that's a bit odd but..

quote:

Blue Omega Leader, Omega Seven,” he reported. “Sperm mode engaged. Ready for boost.” Gravfighter pilots claimed their craft looked like huge spermatozoa when they were in boost configuration. His Starhawk was now only seven meters long—not counting the field bleed spike astern—and five wide, though it still massed twenty-two tons.

Oh god drat it Ian Douglas stop typing with one hand.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gross

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
22-Ton Spermatozoa would be a pretty good band name

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
A whole bunch of people are going to read that and laugh at the obviously fake quotes.

No, seriously, that's real. That's all real.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Yep, Cibola Burn seems a lot slower. I'm 200 pages in and what was initially an interesting story has ground to halt over the course of the past 100 pages. I like the new characters though, and miller.exe is really interesting

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

A whole bunch of people are going to read that and laugh at the obviously fake quotes.

No, seriously, that's real. That's all real.

Although to be honest, all of the Navy guys I've known would immediately describe it that way---

actually no, they wouldn't, really. They'd just call them "jit jets" or something like that, because no Navy puke would ever use a word like "spermatozoa".

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

OK, humor me, space opera thread. I frickin' loved the Honor Harrington series as a kid but now... eh. Just doesn't do it for me. Anyone know of anything that captures the whole "Horatio Hornblower IN SPACE" feel but... a little more maturely, I guess?

This is probably a simple question that's been answered a lot, but 100 pages is a lot of thread. Help me, goons; you're my only hope.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

David Drake's series with Captain Leary and Mundy... I forget the name! The technology is more sail boat like than honor Harrington, the adventures are less about fleet action and more about the two main characters (so in a sense it's the Aubrey/Maturin to Weber's Hornblower), and the colonization of space is at an earlier tech level and scope. And the tech itself is designed to amp up the analogies to sailboats. I highly recommend it as decent popcorn.

Edit - The RCN Series (Royal Cinnabar Navy). With The Lightnings is first.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Grand Prize Winner posted:

OK, humor me, space opera thread. I frickin' loved the Honor Harrington series as a kid but now... eh. Just doesn't do it for me. Anyone know of anything that captures the whole "Horatio Hornblower IN SPACE" feel but... a little more maturely, I guess?

This is probably a simple question that's been answered a lot, but 100 pages is a lot of thread. Help me, goons; you're my only hope.

I felt the same way about the HH books after trying to re-read them a few years ago. Just can't do it anymore. However, I would say go straight to the good stuff and read the Aubrey/Maturin books. Not space opera, of course, but the feeling is the same and Patrick O'Brian is the heroin dealer of that type of novel. A/M is the true hard stuff, nothing can top it.

The Hornblower books aren't bad either, but in my experience once I read POB everything else paled in comparison.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Yah, Aubrey/Maturin would be my go-to recommendation as well. It's historical rather than SF but O'Brian makes a better job of portraying an alien world with weird cultures and obsessively detailed strange technology than most space opera writers.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"Jack, you have debauched my Arcturan Megasloth."

O'Brian wrote some good technobabble too, if you're into that, except it's not babble. It's knots and weird bits of boat. It definitely scratches a lot of the SF itches.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I didn't feel like Drake's Lieutenant Leary books were all that much more 'mature' than Weber's, though I will say that they don't go nearly as Mary Sue or as far off the rails.

I feel like there is a dearth of nuanced ship-to-ship combat military SF.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I suppose I read "mature" as "less self inserty" since that's probably the most egregiously "young reader" thing to like about Weber, and then the fact that Drake drops a lot of the bizarre "and then this fleet lobbed eight hundred thousand advanced v2.5 techno missiles at the other" as well as the "lots of words about a character who dies in a fire in the last paragraph of the only chapter they appear in." The RCN books are still space opera popcorn, of course, but they are a few steps better than HH.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You might enjoy The Vor Game by Lois Mcmaster-Bujold.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

pork never goes bad posted:

David Drake's series with Captain Leary and Mundy... I forget the name! The technology is more sail boat like than honor Harrington, the adventures are less about fleet action and more about the two main characters (so in a sense it's the Aubrey/Maturin to Weber's Hornblower), and the colonization of space is at an earlier tech level and scope. And the tech itself is designed to amp up the analogies to sailboats. I highly recommend it as decent popcorn.

Edit - The RCN Series (Royal Cinnabar Navy). With The Lightnings is first.

Captain Leary is so over the top bad writing tho. The Mary Sue syndrome to the 10th degree, it's like watching a DM run a game for their best friend and just let them get away with anything. It's maybe less so than Honor Harrington, but to me it just feels like more of the same.

The first book feels like it was edited differently than the follow ups, and is a lot better than the ones I read later, I think I quit without finishing book 3 though.

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 30, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Leary was actually worse then Harrington for me which is saying something.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Kesper North posted:

I feel like there is a dearth of nuanced ship-to-ship combat military SF.

I can agree with that. Honorverse books started out ok with a pretty fleshed out vision of spaceflight and weaponry, but Weber keeps one-upping himself in later books until it's pretty crazy.

I'm struggling to think of counter-examples though. Lost Fleet books? I will say I haven't read the RCN books or some of the others mentioned here.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Lost Fleet books have a bunch of problems too. Blackjack Geary ain't quite the Mary Sue that Honor Harrington is, but he's in the vicinity. Worse, though, the books all have a similar feel.

The fleet's in trouble, Blackjack gets them out of trouble, some dipshit idiot fellow captains complain about it, said captains are proven to be incompetent, traitorous schemers, or both and receive comeuppance at the end of the book. Meanwhile, Blackjack leads the fleet to crush another hapless enemy fleet while taking just enough losses for Geary to reflect on the horror of war, while never taking enough damage to actually slow him down appreciably. But! As the book comes to a close, a new enemy threat appears!

Next book: The fleet is in trouble....

The Lost Stars books are better since the main characters are allowed to gently caress up and not be perfect, but they don't have nearly as many space battles, being equally concerned with ground combat and politics.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

jng2058 posted:

The Lost Fleet books have a bunch of problems too. Blackjack Geary ain't quite the Mary Sue that Honor Harrington is, but he's in the vicinity. Worse, though, the books all have a similar feel.

The fleet's in trouble, Blackjack gets them out of trouble, some dipshit idiot fellow captains complain about it, said captains are proven to be incompetent, traitorous schemers, or both and receive comeuppance at the end of the book. Meanwhile, Blackjack leads the fleet to crush another hapless enemy fleet while taking just enough losses for Geary to reflect on the horror of war, while never taking enough damage to actually slow him down appreciably. But! As the book comes to a close, a new enemy threat appears!

Next book: The fleet is in trouble....

The Lost Stars books are better since the main characters are allowed to gently caress up and not be perfect, but they don't have nearly as many space battles, being equally concerned with ground combat and politics.

Whatever you do, don't be me and read them all in a few weeks.

...That said, I say that the books are great! They're like - if you just want neat space battles with heroes you can root for, no questions asked, they're good. It's like watching a kid's show, almost, but with detailed space battles. Bureaucrats and idiots bad, bad communication bad, let's fight the bad guys! ... Over and over again. Soothing, when you want space but you don't want something dark or too complex. And I can't say that for a lot of books, especially genre fiction.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finished At the Sign of Triumph this morning. Weber fixes the problem of very little happening in previous books by having altogether too much happening, almost all of it generic WW1 war porn between people we've never heard of and don't grow attached to because half of the sections end with "And then a shell landed two feet away." The main characters of the series almost entirely vanish from the plot, and what plot there is beyond "Good guys kill bad guys and suffer no reverses or defeats" is centered on mildly interesting intrigue in Dohlar and Zion. There's also a half-baked plot of conspiracy in Chisholm that's a complete nonentity because the good guys have far too many advantages to lose and there's zero tension to be had. Meanwhile, potentially interesting things like the situation in Corisande, Merlin and Nynian apparently getting together (not like Hell's Foundations Quiver didn't make it pretty obvious they were attracted to each other), and the stirrings of rebellion in Zion are each relegated to a handful of lines here and there.

I want to like Safehold so drat much for its creative setting and a lot of the characters being essentially likeable and interesting, but good Lord does Weber make it hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

hannibal posted:

I can agree with that. Honorverse books started out ok with a pretty fleshed out vision of spaceflight and weaponry, but Weber keeps one-upping himself in later books until it's pretty crazy.

I'm struggling to think of counter-examples though. Lost Fleet books? I will say I haven't read the RCN books or some of the others mentioned here.

Let me tell you about battlecruisers, and how they have the armament of a battleship, but the defences and maneuverability of a heavy cruiser.
Let me tell you about battlecruisers, and how they have the armament of a battleship, but the defences and maneuverability of a heavy cruiser.

I would rank Lost Fleet well below the first few HH books, honestly.

• Locked thread