Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Telsa Cola posted:

Leary was actually worse then Harrington for me which is saying something.
100% agreed. the Geary books are basically unreadable ater the first, unless you have alzheimers or something which causes you to forget everything you'd read, every 4 pages. Then the repetitiveness would probably be helpful. So basically, only read the blackjack Leary novels if you're mentally handicapped

jng2058 posted:

The Lost Fleet books have a bunch of problems too. Blackjack Geary ain't quite the Mary Sue that Honor Harrington is, but he's in the vicinity. Worse, though, the books all have a similar feel.

The fleet's in trouble, Blackjack gets them out of trouble, some dipshit idiot fellow captains complain about it, said captains are proven to be incompetent, traitorous schemers, or both and receive comeuppance at the end of the book. Meanwhile, Blackjack leads the fleet to crush another hapless enemy fleet while taking just enough losses for Geary to reflect on the horror of war, while never taking enough damage to actually slow him down appreciably. But! As the book comes to a close, a new enemy threat appears!

Next book: The fleet is in trouble....

The Lost Stars books are better since the main characters are allowed to gently caress up and not be perfect, but they don't have nearly as many space battles, being equally concerned with ground combat and politics.
You forgot that he also argues with and then has sex with that diplomat chick. Again. And even argues over the same problems each book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Yeesh, Cibola Burn felt like it could have been 300 fewer pages. Both it and Abaddon's Gate had a kind of story-of-the-week style that didn't seem to move the main story very far. It kind of reminded me of those Battlestar episodes where they make a settlement on New Caprica and nothing really happens.

I find myself wanting to know more about protomolecule Miller, the aliens, the bad stuff that killed them and what's going to happen to humanity but considering that there's 2 books ahead of me and 3 more to be written, I guess I should be patient and just enjoy the ride. On it's own I liked this book, though. Don't regret reading it.

Happy to see Avasarala and Bobbie in the epilogue.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

ToxicFrog posted:

Let me tell you about battlecruisers, and how they have the armament of a battleship, but the defences and maneuverability of a heavy cruiser.
Let me tell you about battlecruisers, and how they have the armament of a battleship, but the defences and maneuverability of a heavy cruiser.

I would rank Lost Fleet well below the first few HH books, honestly.

Hah, yeah, it's been a few years since I touched those, it was just the first series of books I thought of that involved a fleet of ships.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Vorkosigan Saga gave me a lot of the same good feels without the bitter aftertaste, but there are way less naval battles in space. The Vattas War series was also good.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Biomute posted:

The Vorkosigan Saga gave me a lot of the same good feels without the bitter aftertaste, but there are way less naval battles in space. The Vattas War series was also good.

Vorkosigan and Vatta's War are both pretty good, but tend to have few and relatively small-scale deep space engagements; I'd recommend both but not to someone specifically looking for "big fleets of ships duking it out".

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
I mean if you want Hornblower in space, you could always pick up the Alexis Carew series. Because obviously in hyperspace...uhhh dark space electronics don't work so we have to use dumb old cannons, and we move though darkspace with literal sails.

If you mean the big space fleets duking it out, ehh I guess you got Legend of the Galactic Heroes but that reads a bit too much like a history book to me.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 1, 2017

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ToxicFrog posted:

Vorkosigan and Vatta's War are both pretty good, but tend to have few and relatively small-scale deep space engagements; I'd recommend both but not to someone specifically looking for "big fleets of ships duking it out".

I don't think there are any "good" books that focus on that though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Biomute posted:

I don't think there are any "good" books that focus on that though.

Excession

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ROFLburger posted:

Yeesh, Cibola Burn felt like it could have been 300 fewer pages. Both it and Abaddon's Gate had a kind of story-of-the-week style that didn't seem to move the main story very far. It kind of reminded me of those Battlestar episodes where they make a settlement on New Caprica and nothing really happens.

I agree with your opinions on Expanse 3/4 but what the gently caress those were nearly the best episodes of BSG man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw

I tried going back to childhood favorite Michael Stackpole's Battletech books and welp they do not hold up at all. Which is kind of a shame because the Battletech fiction comes close to 'nuanced multipolar space war without clear Good Guys or stupid tech differentials' but the novels, uh, well.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's kinda weird to go to BSG for an example of "period of time where absolutely nothing happens" and go for early season three instead of the rest of season three with such highlights as The Woman King.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

General Battuta posted:

I agree with your opinions on Expanse 3/4 but what the gently caress those were nearly the best episodes of BSG man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw

I tried going back to childhood favorite Michael Stackpole's Battletech books and welp they do not hold up at all. Which is kind of a shame because the Battletech fiction comes close to 'nuanced multipolar space war without clear Good Guys or stupid tech differentials' but the novels, uh, well.

My memory of those episodes, aside from that scene are pretty lame but it's been a while :shrug:

Antti posted:

It's kinda weird to go to BSG for an example of "period of time where absolutely nothing happens" and go for early season three instead of the rest of season three with such highlights as The Woman King.

Eh, the point was that the story reminded me of that part of BSG and they were both a little slow

ROFLburger fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 1, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eh, a big space battle does happen in Excession, but I'd hardly say that the book, good as it is, particularly focuses on it. Considering the way the book ends, one could really argue that the battle itself is really almost a sidebar, considering that Sleeper Service had a huge fleet on board and rendered anything the Affront-controlled stolen Pittance fleet could accomplish meaningless.

Honestly, I still say the best big space battle books that I've read are In Death Ground and The Shiva Option by Weber and White, especially In Death Ground where things are at their most desperate for the protagonists.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Barry Foster posted:

The Culture is also a post-scarcity society without money. It's basically Star Trek's the Federation but without the liberal humanist hangups.

No, I'm pretty sure it has those hangups, but totally different. The Culture is absolutely an Enlightenment society with the same "liberal" humanist values, save one--the Culture does not buy "cultural" imperialism.

In other words, when they see a society that is sufficiently anti-Enlightenment, they are not held back by any Prime Directive bullshit. Instead, they go out of their way to intervene, destroy said society, and set it on a path to become more like The Culture.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ZombieLenin posted:

In other words, when they see a society that is sufficiently anti-Enlightenment, they are not held back by any Prime Directive bullshit. Instead, they go out of their way to intervene, destroy said society, and set it on a path to become more like The Culture.

Except for the planets they designate as part of the control group. :negative:

Like Earth.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

I think someone recommended the Vor Game a few pages back. While it's still not a large engagement you do get at least bits of a the? non-minor battle. Still not really a great series for that request though. Is Vatta's War in a similar vein to the Vorkosigan books?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Like Earth.

That was the only way one could've adequately explained a universe which allowed Thatcher's Britain.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Kesper North posted:

Like Earth.

Well as Horkheimer and Adorno point out in Dialectic of the Enlightenment this kind of poo poo in the name of both science and efficiency is just as Enlightenment as language about the rights of humans.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
BIG FLEET SPACE BATTLES:

Hey, I just remembered one from a long time ago. "Renegade's Honor", by William Keith, is set in FASA's Renegade Legion universe. It's about a battleship combat group that goes rogue. There's some good ship-to-ship action in there, as I recall, although (as per usual) there's a bunch of other bullshit. And there's some RPG lore stuff that you won't get without a quick read of Wikipedia. It's an older book (published 1988) but you can probably still find it out there.

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, the enemy often uses Hunter-Killers, abbreviated as "HuKs", crewed by only about a dozen people, which are smaller than a frigate but nearly as fast and well-armed.

coyo7e posted:

100% agreed. the Geary books are basically unreadable ater the first...basically, only read the blackjack Leary novels if you're mentally handicapped
yo bro do you mean LEARY or GEARY here. Because I'll admit that the Leary books can get a bit fusty with the unkillable nature of the main character, but it's not the Same Bloody Novel EVERY TIME like it is with the Lost Fleet books!

Miss-Bomarc fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 2, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

General Battuta posted:

I think Battletech could benefit from a transition to tv, its pretty much Game of Thrones in Space with Giant Stompy Robots.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ZombieLenin posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it has those hangups, but totally different. The Culture is absolutely an Enlightenment society with the same "liberal" humanist values, save one--the Culture does not buy "cultural" imperialism.

Eh, destroy implies everything gets burnt to the ground. Its implied that they normally nudge it over a long period of time into the direction they want, bribing or acting as advisors for leaders. The example in Player of Games is way more aggressive than what they normally do and thats probably because they were already a galactic civilization so the slight nudges wouldn't work.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

I think Battletech could benefit from a transition to tv, its pretty much Game of Thrones in Space with Giant Stompy Robots.

Have you seen the cartoon?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Yes, but that was also 23 years ago.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

General Battuta posted:

Wolves on the Border still holds up; a recent re-read of William Keith's Grey Death Trilogy wasn't too terrible, but I struggled with even wanting to finish the earlier Stackpole novels.

E: William Keith's getting a lot of mentions last couple of pages: BattleTech, Renegade Legion, and he also writes as Ian Douglas, so there's that.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Reading Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space series now and I am kind of disappointed. Mostly because of his reputation as a writer of hard science fiction.

Case in point, I'm reading Chasm City and the distance between Sky's Edge and Yellowstone is described as 15 light years. It's pretty clear that this is from the point of view of a stationary observer, as people in Yellowstone talk about a 15 year information delay between the two systems.

At one point in Revelation Space, Light Huggers are described as traveling at less than 100th the speed of light. So doing the math, traveling at 99.99% of the speed of light, from the point of view of those on the Light Huggers, traveling 15 light years (to the stationary observer) would take a little over 77 days.

So I'm really confused why people need to be frozen for trips that last 2 1/2 months, or why they would be described as "having spent 15 years frozen" after arriving at their destination.

If someone actually spent 15 years ship time traveling 99.99% of c roughly 1060 years would have passed for the stationary observers on the planets. This is clearly not what is being described.

And it isn't just from Chasm City. It is something I noticed in Revelation Space as well. It would be easy to overlook the fault if I did not know the book was written by a literal scientist.

Edit

I suppose we can add time to build speed and then reduce at the destination. Even so, the amount of time spent for those on the Light Hugger should not be anywhere close to 15 years. We should still be talking in the realm of 5 years at most as it takes roughly 2 years ship time to hit 99% of c at a constant 1g acceleration.

This would be seriously reduced by just doing 1.25g, which would still be quite comfortable for those on the ship.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 4, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ZombieLenin posted:

At one point in Revelation Space, Light Huggers are described as traveling at less than 100th the speed of light. So doing the math, traveling at 99.99% of the speed of light, from the point of view of those on the Light Huggers, traveling 15 light years (to the stationary observer) would take a little over 77 days.

Not your point I understand, but "less than 100th" is "less than 1%", not "99.99%."

More critically, I read what I think the relevant passage in Revelation Space to be "less than one percent slower than light", which is anywhere from 99.01% to 99.99%. How much do the numbers change with acceleration at 99.01%?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

ulmont posted:

Not your point I understand, but "less than 100th" is "less than 1%", not "99.99%."

More critically, I read what I think the relevant passage in Revelation Space to be "less than one percent slower than light", which is anywhere from 99.01% to 99.99%. How much do the numbers change with acceleration at 99.01%?

Traveling at 99.01 of c it would take, from the point of view of the person on the ship, roughly 2 years and 38 days to travel 15 light years; however, the spin up and spin down time would be significantly less too.

We still aren't anywhere in the neighborhood of 15 years stationary time = 15 years ship time for a ship going anywhere close to relativistic speeds. For example, if you could average 50% of light speed to go round trip to Alpha Centauri (assuming 2 years at the destination) you are looking at 20 years of time for those on Earth versus 9 years of time for those who went on the trip.

Basically to get 15 years ship time to equal 15 years of stationary observer time, you'd pretty much have to be going at speeds possible with current levels of technology. In other words, slow as poo poo by interstellar standards.

*edit*

And to get 15 years ship time at anywhere near the speeds discussed in the novels you are looking at somewhere between 106 years and 1060 years stationary observer time.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 4, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ultras a stingy bastards, they're not going to feed passengers for months

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

FuturePastNow posted:

Ultras a stingy bastards, they're not going to feed passengers for months

I would be okay with this if he just hadn't described the flights as lasting so long for the passengers.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Just email him about it and ask whether it was a simple mistake or intentionally dumbing it down a bit for average Joe if you're curious. He responds to most messages actually.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yup I've actually corresponded with him via email before. Cool chap

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
It's been a good long time since I read Revelation Space but I recall some talk of the effect of their non-FTL travel on society. People travelling across space essentially leaving everyone they knew X-years behind them, while they don't really age. Isn't that why one of the characters (Sylveste?) travelled in the first place, to get away from past acts?

Assuming that it doesn't really matter physiologically how long you are frozen, then the length of the trip in your frame doesn't really make much difference to you, it's more the societal effect of "having spent 15 years (according to everyone else) frozen" that would be more important.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Excession is awful, and where I stopped reading the culture novels. Total snorefest.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Biomute posted:

Excession is awful, and where I stopped reading the culture novels. Total snorefest.

Excession was one of my favorites :colbert:

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
Excession can't be bad because Excession has the Affront and the Affront are fantastic.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The Excession humans are by far the worst humans in any Culture book, but they also matter less than any Culture book, so I'm not sure who that balances out. I found the book kind of meh in the overall arc of the series.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

As mentioned in the other thread the other day, Reynolds doesn't really do hard sci fi, he just tends to not break the laws of physics in his stories.

He has a PhD in astrophysics so i think any "mistakes" are probably deliberate for the sake of the story.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Just a heads up for anyone who wasn't aware, Reynolds is writing and supposedly releasing a sequel to The Prefect sometime this year. There's not a ton of info that I could find but it's supposed to take place 2 years after the events of the first one. I don't remember exactly when The Prefect takes place in the RS timeline but I wonder if it'll involve the melding plague.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

johnsonrod posted:

Just a heads up for anyone who wasn't aware, Reynolds is writing and supposedly releasing a sequel to The Prefect sometime this year. There's not a ton of info that I could find but it's supposed to take place 2 years after the events of the first one. I don't remember exactly when The Prefect takes place in the RS timeline but I wonder if it'll involve the melding plague.

Yeah, as far as I know, this is the only official thing we know:
http://approachingpavonis.blogspot.dk/2017/03/new-one-in.html

quote:

So I've delivered a new novel. We have a possible title, but it's still subject to discussion and may well change, so I won't mention it just yet. What I can say is that the new book is the first novel-length work to be set in the Revelation Space universe since 2007, and is also a sequel to The Prefect. Despite the decade-long gap beween these books, this one is set only two years after the last and features a large number of recurring characters. Nonetheless I hope that it will be capable of being read independently of the first.

As far as I am aware publication is not likely to happen until early 2018.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm giving Margaret Weis' Star of the Guardians another shot. I remember trying to start it about 20 years ago and kept bogging down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm giving Margaret Weis' Star of the Guardians another shot. I remember trying to start it about 20 years ago and kept bogging down.

That series is what got me into space opera in middle school. I reread them a couple of years ago, and still found them enjoyable, if not as amazing as I thought they were 20 years ago.

• Locked thread