Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Hung Yuri posted:

That makes me feel so much better then, I was worrying about getting the second book only to hear more Advancer vs Higher vs ANA dribble "oh my god the factions are waving their new technology dicks around :gonk:"

Without getting too spoilery, things really pick up in the second book. The faction subplot doesn't go away, but the rivalries escalate and Hamilton focuses more on how that tension influences the other subplots than just describing them and their tech in the first book. I don't remember the precise timeline, but the Commonwealth trilogy took place about 400 years from present day, so tech was still easy to understand and aside from a few surprises like inter-planetary wormholes, everything felt like the natural progression of current technologies.

The Dreaming Void takes place about 1000 years after Commonwealth, so I think he really went out of his way to explain to readers what the new technological and political state of society is. Personally I was incredibly interested in the ANA factions since that's where most of my favorite characters from the last trilogy were sitting, most notably Gore Burnelli and his daughter.

mllaneza posted:

I hope I like the latest trilogy more than you did. I haven't picked it up yet because of something Hamilton is all too good at: cliffhangers.

That was my intention at first too, but I couldn't resist and read the first two this fall. Boy did I regret that; the cliffhanger is less literal this time around, but it's so much stronger.

Hung Yuri, if I were in your position I'd hold off on getting the next book until Hamilton's done with the trilogy and check out the Commonwealth saga in the meantime. About a third of the significant characters are really established in that series, and a lot of the tension and mystery came from which powerful characters and factions were missing, but hinted at in the Void trilogy.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Comstar posted:

The impression I got was the rich elites dominated anyone else because they were rich and elite and only rich and elite people are elite enough to be rich enough to be just that much better than anyone else.

That's what I took from it too. Even back in the Commonwealth saga there wasn't any significant central government pushing military research, only private dynasties and great families, so it makes sense for one of their patriarchs to have access to exotic wetwiring developed for his personal, exclusive use.

• Locked thread