Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Hello Pity posted:

If you hated absolutely everything about Consider Phlebas I wouldn't bother with any more Banks. It seems unlikely they would interest you at all.

"Improve significantly" is kind of a loaded question for someone who likes Consider Phlebas to answer. They might improve in some ways, but overall his other stuff isn't that much different. So from you perspective I'd say "no".

I disagree completely, he said that he thought the Culture was interesting, but Consider Phlebas is told from the PoV of a guy antagonistic towards the Culture (and only hints at a lot of the stuff Banks develops in the later books). It's also stylistically different; more of a straight up thriller, whereas the other Culture books are a lot more psychological, have more intricate plots, etc. I'd at least give Use of Weapons a shot before writing him off completely, although I made that mistake and it kind of set my expectations too high for the other books (which are have all been very good so far, but haven't impressed me the same way)

I kinda hate on Vernor Vinge, maybe because of all the hype here and having read Banks first; by comparison his prose is so bland and flat, his characters are uninteresting, his pacing terrible (way too drawn out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread