Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Anyone know if Blindsight/Echopraxia is getting a third book? I can't find anything online but I may suck at looking.

He talked about it on his blog: http://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=5438. It's probably a long way off since hes doing his intelligent squid/sentient money book next iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Is it worth it to continue with the Revelation Space series if the first one didn't do much for me?

I mean I liked some of the ideas in the book and I thought the middle section of the book was decent but I really didn't like how the last hundred pages are half lovely slasher movie last act and infodumps after infodumps. Especially when those infodumps were things that the book seemed like it was on the verge of explaining hundreds of pages ago but then cut off to switch to a new scene so they didn't ruin the surprise.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Biomute posted:

There's a bunch of really good space opera out there. I don't see why this one gets so much love. It does an awful job introducing characters and pulling you in.

If you think Revelation Space is doing an awful job at introducing characters and pulling you in now, wait until you get to the last hundred pages of purestrain exposition because Alistair Reynolds decided to push the telling the story part of the story until the very end.

Incidentally, I'm reading Chasm City (about a hundred pages in) and really enjoying it so far. It feels more natural so maybe he learned about pacing after Revelation Space or maybe the smaller scale(?) helped.

• Locked thread