Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Just wanted to give a shoutout to my favorite space-opera novel: In Conquest Born by C.S. Friedman. It remains one of my overall favorite novels to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Have you read her Coldfire Trilogy? If so, how does In Conquest Born compare? The Coldfire books are awesome.

I did and loved those books to death. Although, I will say that In Conquest Born is a very different sort of book. No pseudo-fantasy here (not that theres anything wrong with that). Its more of a "hard" sci-fi variety, but Friedman has such a talent for creating fascinating characters that you just cant stop reading even if you're not a fan of hard sci-fi.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Astroman posted:

After reading this thread I'm going to check out Friedman's In Conquest Born. Read this description on Amazon: "The novel is built on the contrast of two protagonists, young people whose talents lead them to the tops of two space-going societies: one militaristic, paranoid and male-dominated; the other pluralistic, with advanced mental powers. The plot follows them from birth to their clash as the two vast space-empires struggle for domination. This is space opera in the best sense: a combination of high-stakes adventure with a strong focus on ideas and characters whose fate an intelligent reader can care about."

Sounds very Legend of Galactic Heroes to me, so I'm looking forward to it. Also his book Madness Season was fantastic and it was absolutely criminal when io9 did a "Vampires in Space" list the other day and left it off. (Though they put E.E. Knight's Vampire Earth on there so I can't hate them too much)

The description is a bit misleading, but I think you'll still enjoy it quit a bit.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Try the "Lost Fleet" series, it's even worse. Each segment is a setup to the next pitched battle which is almost exactly like the last pitched battle.

Has anyone read David Drake's "Leary" series? I kind of like how the technology completely changes from one book to the next.

This seems like a good place to ask as any, are Drakes Hammer's Slammers books good? I only read the Venus novellas by him and liked them.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Miss-Bomarc posted:

I like them, although it gets a bit repetitive sometimes to read about the awesomest soldiers in the universe being awesomely more awesome than everyone else. It's non-political, in the sense that it's taken as given that any politician is a total sniveling weasely bastard and the Slammers are the only people who can do anything at all.

So is it like Cook's Black Company books? Because I like those.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Just finished Jack Vance's The Demon Princes series and it was solidly awesome, with the first book being the weakest oddly enough. If anyone wants to read them I would recommend skipping the first book The Star King in general, as not reading it wouldnt affect your understanding of the rest of the books. Also, if you get the two omnibus volumes that contain all 5 books, dont bother reading the description on the back, it only describes the first book and is not really representative of the others (the "Star Kings" only appear in the first book and detract from the world of these books in my opinion)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

Up next is Olympos, the sequel. I'm hoping beyond all hope that Simmons doesn't ruin this series as well, but I know it may happen.

Olympos is without exaggeration the worst book I've ever read. Bar none.

For why its such an abomination I'm just going to quote myself from another thread:

The Palestinians with the help of the French create a virus to kill everyone, but the devious Jews find a cure for themselves (and don't share with anyone) and get stuck in some sort of timewarp. Then the Muslims build an army of Jew-killing robots programmed to be servants of the remainder of the population and go into Jew-killing mode at some point in the future when the Jews get out of the timewarp (I think they also try to blow up the earth with a black hole). Further in the future they go into their killing mode but the Jews still arent out so they start killing everyone until some good robots from Saturn's moon show up to save everyone. Also, theres some post-humans playing gods on Mars, and a portal to Shakespeare's imagination or some poo poo like that.

I wish I was making this up.

I'm spoiling all of this on purpose because nobody should read that book ever.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

papa horny michael posted:

Sure when you list plot points straight,it reads like poo poo.

Fixed that for you. That book is irredeemable excrement.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

This was how I felt about the first book. I can't believe people liked it. It's really, really, really bad.

Maybe liking it was too strong a word, but compared to the second book its a loving literary masterpiece.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I think I mentioned it in this thread before, but the one time I saw Ringo in person, he didn't understand how living under Nazi occupation could have made Paul Verhoeven somehow not like fascism. You see, Ringo was talking about the notion that Starship Troopers is supposed to be an apology for fascism, and Ringo had no problem with that.

Well, first of all the government in Starship Troopers was not fascist, and second, the Nazis no longer existed by the time Verhoeven was 6 years old.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Why do you say it's not fascist?

Because it was democratically elected, and not a single-party state. It was pretty clear that Verhoeven went to great length to make it look fascist regardless. He changed the ethnicity of the main character from Philipino, to the typical aryan look (blond hair blue eyes), he added the propagandistic recruitment campaigns when in the book people were actually discouraged from joining the military unless it was what they absolutely wanted.

Basically he went out of his way to twist Heinlein's work into an apparent fascist apology when it clearly wasn't because he had an axe to grind.

Edit: ^^^ Ah, I see we are in agreement.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

TouretteDog posted:

When I first read it I got the impression that it was more along the lines of the mandatory service in Germany or the Netherlands, only with the civil service jobs still under the aegis of the military. Isn't it pretty much said point blank that Rico is a massive gently caress-up, not being able to qualify for anything but line infantry?

No, the service is voluntary, and people are actively discouraged from joining unless they are absolutely certain they want to.

And Rico was not a gently caress-up he just didn't qualify for all the other positions he applied for such as pilot or something. Oh and I think he also qualified for the K-9 unit, but because he never had a close enough relationship with a pet the selection officer recommended mobile-infantry instead (which is also a pretty high-responsibility job, considering they carry pocket nukes and poo poo).

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Midget Fist posted:

Wasn't the whole point of joining up to become a citizen? So that you could vote and everything, otherwise you were 'just a civilian' athough most civilians didn't seem too bothered about it.

You are a citizen anyways, but you need to serve to get to vote.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I'm trying to remember a book I read at one point that featured a Matrioshka Brain, I want to say it was one of the Culture books but I honestly don't remember.

In any case, the idea of an entire solar system repurposed into nothing but a stupendously powerful megacomputer has always seemed totally rad to me. I'm wondering if any of you goons know of examples of such (or really any type of mega-engineering, such as the Ringworld) in books (most likely in stuff that would qualify as space opera I suspect, which is why I'm asking here)?

Alastair Reynolds usually has that kind of post-singularity mega-engineering.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

Has anyone read "In Conquest Born" by C.S Friedman?

It is the first book that I didn't finish reading. I came about 130 pages in until I couldn't take it any more. That girl child just feels like a massive Mary-Sue, the obvious "women are best" theme is just grating and the book itself is just weird.

I don't even understand the point of the warrior civilization (men are evil!!!!), what's the point if a little girl can totally crush one of their best soldiers?

Please tell me how wrong I am and how good the book becomes after page 140...or?

I read it a long time ago but I remember liking it, and I'm usually a picky reader.

Edit: Oh, and if I recall properly, a lot of things that both main characters "know" early in the book turn out to be propaganda fed to them by their respective states.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 30, 2011

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

caleramaen posted:

I'll cut Weber a little slack on the political front. He was essentially trying to futurize Horatio Hornblower, he injected some of his own political opinions, and the whole thing just spun out of control. I think he was initially trying to do a whole French Revolution homage, complete with Theisman being Napoleon, but then the politics took control in about book four and that got scrapped. If there is one thing David Weber isn't, it's subtle.

Not that I'm defending his bullshit opinions, I'm just saying if he hadn't injected them from day one this could have been a great series. Oh and if you do like this read Horatio Hornblower. It isn't space opera, but the first few books of Honorverse are clearly ripping the bulk of their themes and characters from CS Forester's naval adventure books. They're set during the Napoleonic wars and are a fun read.

The Empire of Man books he wrote with John Ringo suffer from this as well. With the bad guys being fanatical......environmentalists! I was enjoying the first book until I got to the first chapter describing the bad guys and just decided to put the book away.

As far as I know the only big name military sci-fi author that doesnt harbor terrible right-wing views is David Drake, despite having a name that sounds like a protagonist from a terrible right-wing fantasy novel.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

The primary difference there is that Drake fought in a war. Ringo served, but in the 80s. Drake was in Vietnam, so he actually knows how horrific war is. So as a result he doesn't fetish it or buy into the mentality that feeds into creating more war.

I don't have the quote on hand, but Drake said writing is how he handles his PTSD - he writes about his experiences and nightmares to deal with them.

That makes sense. I used to be a huge gun/military nut myself with some political views I'm really not proud of anymore. After a couple of years in the army....Not so much anymore.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

If you don't already know him check out Joe Haldeman. He served in Vietnam and there's an extent to which his books are a reaction against how unrealstic military space opera is. The most well known, The Forever War is also very good. I'm not sure about is politics, but "terrible right-wing" would suprise me.

Other than that John Scalzi perhaps qualifies?

I tried The Forever War but didnt really dig it. In any case when I said military sci-fi I guess what I should have specified that I meant mostly Baen's lineup of pulp writers.

Otherwise yeah that are some who are pretty good. Kurt Vonnegut is probably my favorite, although I wouldn't classify him as having written any military sci-fi despite novels like Slaughterhouse 5 being both about the military and sci-fi to some extent.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Oh John Ringo NO

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

For the Baen Free Library, I'd recommend any of the 1632 series there (even if it's not space opera) or Seas of Venus. The latter is a throwback to the pre-space age concept of Venus as a planetary sea (although it's explained as being set in the future after Venus is terraformed), and is populated by a collection of warring city-states in a setting inspired by the mercenary wars of Renaissance Italy. It's a really fun read in a Golden Age pulp mold.

Seas of Venus is pretty awesome. I wouldn't recommend the 1632 series because while the setting and idea were pretty cool, the characters were all one-dimensional cardboard cutouts (maybe this is a result of having such a huge cast of POV characters, but other authors like GRRM manage to make it work so thats a poor excuse in my opinion).

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How bad/good/goodbad/badgood is Drake? If David Weber's Honor Harrington is a 1 and Patrick O'Brian is a 10, and if reading about "Rob S. Pierre" gave me a physical headache, should I read Drake?

I liked Lost Fleet and Star Carrier for what they were, and I'm on my fifth re-read of the Aubrey/Maturin books right now, but the Honor Harrington books were like Halloween candy -- I read them at all at a rush and then got physically ill.

Drake is a competent writer, and isn't a conservative nutjob like Weber and Ringo. I cant remember too much of what he's written except for the Seas of Venus stories, but those were pretty loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Groke posted:

Well, there's Eric Flint, for one.

Unfortunately he just isn't a good writer.

• Locked thread