Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Hamster
Aug 21, 2007
Is this a two-bagger I see before me?
For space opera, I'd go with David Weber's Dahak trilogy.

It starts off with Mutineer's Moon.

wikipedia posted:

"Author David Weber says the genesis for this book began with a question: 'Assume that Earth doesn't actually have a Moon, but rather a giant starship disguised as our Moon which has been there for at least 50 or 60,000 years. Where did it come from, why did it come here, and why hasn't it left?' Weber says the answer to those questions built the foundation for this book and its sequels."

I think it fits the bill for "space opera" perfectly.

EDIT: It's also available for FREE HERE!

Death Hamster fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Hamster
Aug 21, 2007
Is this a two-bagger I see before me?

JustNoSkill posted:

I know some people don't enjoy this series, but I found Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga very enjoyable, it treads the fine line between character development/world creation/oh-poo poo space battles pretty well. Bujold has a very keen imagination when it comes to envisioning not just futuristic science but also a plethora of futuristic societies, with their own political and social norms.

It really helps that Bujold is a very terse, witty writer, which helped to make the books a lot more entertaining to me.

I enjoyed the Vorkosigan series very much, too. It's well written and really runs the gamut as far as subgenres go. One will be a space pirate type book, then another will be a spy novel, then the next one will be filled with political intrigue and infighting, then you'll have a romance novel.

I can't recommend them enough.

• Locked thread